Anonymous No. 943796

>be mid 3d modeler
>mass send resumes
>get hired as generalist
>anon you know how to use UNITY right
>sssure, i mean the basics
>ok, you start on monday
>panics
Bros, any one know of a good introduction tutorial series for UNITY for a 3d modeler?
halp pls!

Anonymous No. 943797

>>943796
you start with the toaster
then you hop in the bath

Anonymous No. 943798

>>943797
no anon, i wont anhero, if you cant provide help, then at least show bobs

Anonymous No. 943799

>>943796
It's very easy. Not sure why you're freaking out. What do you think you'll be expected to know, specifically?

Anonymous No. 943800

>>943799
i will probably bring in 3d models, set up textures, shaders, animations, lighting, rendering, i dont think i will ever get into coding or anything like that, but anything related to 3d modeling, i will need to know how to do or at least not be so lost

Anonymous No. 943801

>>943800
It depends on the studio, rendering pipeline, etc. There are several different options in Unity (HDRP vs URP, Humanoid vs Generic Avatars, Unlit / Surface shaders) so you can probably bullshit not knowing most things by saying "Oh I never did it that way." Try bringing in some models into a blank scene, unpacking the textures/materials, and making sure you understand the basics of the scene hierarchy, the import wizard, and material/shader/model assets

Anonymous No. 943803

>>943801
where can i find a comprehensive tutorial writen or video to do that?
i have done that, for another game developers i used to do characters with rig and animation i used to bring the fbx animations into unity, set up some random shader with the albedo and just check if the animation ran, that is it, thats the extent of my knowledge of unity

Anonymous No. 943804

>>943801
*i have done something like that
i mean to write >>943803

Anonymous No. 943805

>>943803
There are a million tutorials, its an extremely popular software. I dont have any specific recommendations since Ive been doing it for years and haven't really needed any basic ones, sorry

If you expect you will need to know animation use this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhvQDqmgmU&list=PLwyUzJb_FNeTQwyGujWRLqnfKpV-cj-eO

Anonymous No. 943806

>>943805
thank you anon, i will check it out, i most probably will need to bring in animations from maya, so its helpfull thank you

Anonymous No. 943809

>>943796
https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.2/Documentation/Manual/index.html

Get reading, good luck. Congrats on getting hired.

Anonymous No. 943812

>>943809
Thank you anon, i will start taking notes and save the link, at least i wont have to get lost on the internet finding this stuff

Anonymous No. 943814

>>943796
Well, I haven't touched unity in years but you could need tutorials about :
-Import assets and animations
-the shader system
-Lighting
-Terrain tools
-Mecanim Animation System, it is the shit they use for humanoid characters
-Animation Layers
-You could need some knowledge about procedural maps
Ofc you need to know the basics of the engine too
>you start on monday
kek

Anonymous No. 943816

>>943814
>>you start on monday
>kek
lol, thanks anon for the guideline, i will be spending these two days importing my models an learning everything i can on unity, i guess i wont have to start doing everything in unity right away the first day, i work mainly in maya, but they develop in unity for vr, they said also that they would provide tutorial for some mid level stuff they use, so i guess i wont be that lost, and if i get asked something i guess ill just wing it.

Anonymous No. 943817

>>943816
>lol, thanks anon for the guideline
Some basic knowledge about unity's particle system could be usefull too, they could ask you to make screen flash and other effects and it is usefull to make at least a text based adventure tutorial to know how to make basic interfaces and things like that too.
gl hf.

Anonymous No. 943818

>>943796
Just show up with your "basic" skills and let them teach you whatever they need you to know.

Anonymous No. 943827

>>943800
>i dont think i will ever get into coding
You fucked up already. Your non-technical boss assumes you "know unity" which naturally means you must be competent at c#, prepare for an awkward conversation and summary firing within a month.

Anonymous No. 943833

You have to know how to program to utilize unity's custom scripts which are essential to all operations in the program, even as a generalist.

You should have a large catalogue of bookmarks to solutions from the API reference and official forum q and a in your browser that you have already read and can reference at any given moment, as well as your own personal scripts that you've already developed for your own projects. You need scripts for everything in unity.

R. I. P.

Anonymous No. 943835

>>943796
Dude, chill. Spend the next two days reading the basic documentation. After that give them a fair warning that you will spend the next couple of days getting familiar with their systems/resources. When you get a specific task you will learn how to do it as you go.

You don't need to know Unity through and through, you just need to do your job. Just be calm and avoid panic attacks.

Anonymous No. 943958

https://docs.unity3d.com/2023.2/Documentation/Manual/UnityManual.html
Be the only guy on their team whose read this whole thing.

Anonymous No. 943982

>>943796
What kind of fucking company hires a retard like you without a technical interview? Do you live in a 3rd world country?

Anonymous No. 943986

>>943982
Not OP but I'm from a first world country and got hired at an MNC... lied through my teeth about being "competent" at After Effects, took 2 days to learn it, now 3 years later I'm still doing good, multiple payraises and commendations... so >>943796 don't worry about it.

Anonymous No. 944036

>>943986
your pay raises are a 2% increase when inflation is at 7% to 10%.

Anonymous No. 944045

>>944036
No lol they are 30+%, don't project

Anonymous No. 945132

>>943986
I don't know how to lie..

Anonymous No. 945428

>>943982
a good one apparently, getting a nice package, flights to main office vacation time and shit, also i made an exam and passed it, unity is just a plus to know, i only needed to prove that i was proficient in maya, zbrush, substance, houdini, rigging and animation, also got a week long unity training course to get up to speed for their vr projects.

Anonymous No. 945448

>>945428
>vr projects
vr is literally dead

Image not available

800x823

1667715335005921.jpg

Anonymous No. 945471

>>945448
>vr is literally dead
as far as you know