Image not available

3832x2108

sour jpg.jpg

🧵 Need some critique

Anonymous No. 951857

I'm a terrible 3d modeller (and map maker) but I want to get better with my 3d maps. I like to just fuck around and make "experience" maps (shit like old tf2 maps like that mario kart one), but I don't care much of them looking realistic or anything.

Do those images feel like lacking anything? The world is mostly made out of small details in every corner, so it's a little bit hard to show everything.

(Also I'm really not an avid chan lurker, so I'm not very knowledged on where to post this, is there any specific thread people usually post stuff stuff like this? Or should I just straight up make a thread asking for help?)

Anonymous No. 951860

>>951857
>reddit memes
kill yourself. lurk more. stop using reddit spacing. use the stupid questions general. learn how to use trims to break up boring floors and walls. use less garbage textures. learning quake mapping (there are tutorials on making levels look and play interestingly) will transfer over to tf2 or whatever. the """outdoor""" area looks like another cube room. take cues from real architecture and create rooms that are more than squares. think about room function.

Anonymous No. 951861

>>951860
Those tips are very helpful, thank you. I do feel like my maps lack the overall "reason to even exist", since I haven't found a decent game to make shit for (or at least that felt nice to play in those maps). I learned by just fucking around by myself so I didn't follow many guides, so I feel that's where I fail at. I will look into those tips you mentioned though

Anonymous No. 951877

>>951857
shitty retro graphics is becoming "forced soul", as in "forced meme". especially if you made it with modern harware. its so forced these days it is actually souless and cringe.

Anonymous No. 951884

>>951877
That is very good criticism, thank you. I do see the point, but I do like the low resolution aesthetic of games like Quake -- it was just overly done in this map since it was my first time kinda just "not giving much of a fuck to making it look good". If there was still much interest from people for it, I'd probably be making Doom wads on my free time, but I feel like it's become too much of a niche at this point. I do plan on moving to something more matured from what I do, since the pictures are from my map from 2 years ago.

Anonymous No. 951888

>>951884
>>951861
Polite bait is polite. Tired of playing gta in 4chan anon?

Anonymous No. 951889

>>951888
Inb4 you respond with something like “that is a good point”. Let me tell you something. Fuck you and your shit.

Anonymous No. 951891

Is that fucking Roblox?

Anonymous No. 951892

>>951891
looks it, i recognize that lighting, meshes, etc

Anonymous No. 951894

>>951857
Well. You should apply to work for the cruelty squad dev because those would fit right in on an expansion pack.

Anonymous No. 951916

>>951889
That is a good point

>>951891
lmao no, it's Unity. It's just as bad at this point, though. I've been considering moving to learning a decent platform, due to its recent changes (like for the past few years).

>>951894
I did play that eventually, and I feel like going for something 'darker'/grunge could have been a better approach. The way that game properly uses the esthetic (low/shit graphics that makes anyone wanna vomit) for its theme makes a lot more sense (and worked pretty damn well, considering its end products) than just doing it just for the fucks of it.