finished the knight tutorial, what's next? i'm not interested in textures yet

Anonymous No. 952895

Now model a Bishop without looking at any videos

Anonymous No. 952897

>>952895
can't, i already watched the bishop video

Anonymous No. 952900

>>952897
Alright, model a human hand with good topology. Fair bit more complex but you should be able to pull it off.

Image not available

403x546

knight.png

Anonymous No. 952905

What am I doing wrong?
>inb4 something something blender

Anonymous No. 952907

>>952905
i traced the profile of mine over the reference

Image not available

706x822

knight.png

Anonymous No. 952908

>>952905

Anonymous No. 952910

>>952908
I'll try again from scratch

Image not available

490x820

knight2.png

Anonymous No. 952912

For the life of me I can't figure out how to split this into two parts for the mouth

Image not available

450x694

knight3.png

Anonymous No. 952913

Ok there it is

Image not available

968x672

capybara.png

Anonymous No. 952965

>>952900
trying a capybara instead

Image not available

2352x777

capy-done.png

Anonymous No. 952996

paws and legs still look like shit, but i think i'll stop here...

Anonymous No. 953029

>>952900
Only reason to subject yourself to boxmodeling a hand is to perform an exercisein topology and possibly creating the blue print of your primary forms, if that's how you choose to go about it. Otherwise these organic volumes should be sculpted, unless you want to start making faces hyper autistically by pulling out vertices on the z axis from a 2d face mesh.

Anonymous No. 953035

>>953029
>Only reason to subject yourself to boxmodeling a hand is to perform an exercisein topology
Which is what I wanted him to do. It's a good thing to model early to gain an understanding of establishing core loops and correct topology that's suitable for animation. You learn the fundamentals there, next time you retopo a hand or hell even a face you sculpted, you'll know what to do.

Anonymous No. 953050

>>952996
>from topo horse thread
You have a few paths you can go down for topo.
>1
stop what you're doing now and fix all of the topo. Make every limb continuous and flow into the torso. Trace out folds and muscle tissue. Might be had to do on a capybara because theyre so furry. If you're going to use a fur sim then model a naked capy. IF you're modelling fur then you have like another dozen decisions to make. anyways, after fixing all topo, progress refining the shape and when you hit smooth it will look good.
>2
load what you have into zbrush/ect, refine it's shape to completion and then use its retopo tools. Then do fine details on your retopo'd mesh.
>3
Keep going extruding shaping until you're at you final shape, toplogy be damned. Then go back and fix the topology all at once. If you are rain man levels autistic you might like doing it, and that's about the only reason I can give to do it this way. It is the most work.

Anonymous No. 953092

>>953029
If he has a working topology. What’s the impediment of treating the wire mesh as a sculpt? Wouldn’t that be faster than joining shapes in zbrush? Cause I find it that way. Isn’t that the principle of a base mesh? I’ve always treated zbrush as the last step in modeling. A finishing pass to get the high density detail. You gotta build from simple to complex, but if you work the other way around good for you.