Image not available

1932x1611

chernikhov-9-edit.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 953321

What software do architects use to model buildings? Specifically the visual design for renders and the like moreso than any sort of structural engineering.
I do a lot of building in minecraft creative mode but I'd like to stop pissing around in a PC game and upgrade to something a bit more powerful.
I already know a bit of Inventor and Sketchup, so something similar to those interface-wise would be convenient

Anonymous No. 953323

AFIK most architects use AutoCAD.
Structural engineering is a whole other ballgame, all I know is they do FEM analysis and I doubt you can get into this without going to uni.

Image not available

5692x2400

test_2_materiales.jpg

the chair nerd No. 953334

>>953321
>What software do architects use to model buildings?
Offf that is a long list. But here are some mainstream ones:

Bim Oriented

-Revit
-Archicad
-Autocad
-Civil 3d
-Vector Works
-Micro Cad
-Bluebeam Revu

Non Bim oriented
-Rhino
-Skp
-3ds Max
-Blender
-Drafsight
-Sweet Home 3d

Anon is rightabout 70% I would say of the industry uses Autocad as the mainstream BIM design solution.

If you know sketchup it is a very powerfull architectural modelling tool IMO and it has some cool third part 3d render engines.

If you want to know more you can visit /archviz/ on this board.

Anonymous No. 953361

>>953334
Adding sketchuptextureclub to your list, 13€ a year for an excellent collection of textures (dont bother with the PBR ones though, those are very poorly made and low res)

Anonymous No. 953434

Blender is fine if you just want to mess around and create cool buildings. If you wanted to do it long term or seriously then those others are better

Anonymous No. 953435

>>953434
You can build precise buildings if you know the load bearing of pillars and materials, otherwise revit and archicad will do the calculations, there are also other alternatives.

Anonymous No. 953465

>>953321
The architecht company I worked for a while used Archicad for the actual design, and then exported the model (with shit like wiring, pipes and other shit you can't see stripped out) to Blender for renders. All the materials, and extra stuff like trees, environment, characters etc. were done in Blender. If they needed a quick render or an animation, then we'd use Artlantis or Twinmotion.

Anonymous No. 953479

>>953465
jesus. Not to be rude, but it must have looked horrific

Anonymous No. 953503

>>953479
The Artlantis/Twinmotion stuff looked like garbage, but the Blender renders looked good. The problem was that Archicad-Blender export shat itself sometimes, needing things to be fixed. And it was pain in the ass to build all the materials and textures.

That was a few years ago, though. I've heard that they got the render pipeline problems ironed out since, and have built/bought libraries for the materials/textures/environments.

Anonymous No. 953504

>>953503
i doubt the blender renders could look good, since the renderer does not even conserve energy

Anonymous No. 953505

>>953504
We used Octane for Blender.

Anonymous No. 953508

>>953505
you should just have used unreal engine

Image not available

2048x1139

Jiangjin_Central_....jpg

Anonymous No. 953551

What do they use to render these concept designs

Anonymous No. 953554

>>953551
V-Ray

the chair nerd No. 953562

>>953551
Those are pretty easy to make. You could use any decent render engine and a lot of post work.

Anonymous No. 953855

>>953323
I've mainly seen AutoCAD used for 2D engineering drawing type stuff, is it good for 3D as well?
>>953334
no clue what Bim oriented is but looking at those lists it seems like CAD-type software as opposed to vertex-based animation stuff. I'd be much more interested in the former, CAD is a lot more intuitive for me than Blender
>>953434
Tried to learn Blender a couple times, but I'd known a bit of CAD from years beforehand and I just can't seem to wrap my head around the vastly different approach to modeling. Relying on subdividing and all that just doesn't come naturally to me.
Doesn't help that you need to watch hours of dry tutorial videos to even attempt to start, call me a zoomer but I hardly have the attention span for that
>>953465
How'd you do the UV unwrapping for materials/textures, is there any easy solution for that? I've UV unwrapped things exported from Inventor to Blender and it was a painstaking slog to do it manually

Anonymous No. 953880

>>953855
Most arch viz involves little modeling beyond the walls, floors, ceilings, doors and windows, and you can just slap a cube map on those and it'll do the job 99% of the time.

the furniture and other props are the only things that actually need to be unwrapped in order to look decent, but those are often sourced externally and all the artist does is place them in the scene.

Anonymous No. 955017

>>953551
archviz is mainly ocupated by
>vray
can get photorealistic but is not real-time and is pretty tough to learn
>lumion or twinmotion
easiest ones to use. not the most photorealistic but the ones i'd recommend to a beginner

then you have your corona's d5's, etc. and i hear they're very good but i dont know enough about them to give an opinion

Anonymous No. 955018

>>955017
>ocupated
*occupied

jesus

Image not available

323x227

Sin título.png

Anonymous No. 955020

>>953551
>>955017
as for that specific render, i'd wager it's twinmotion based on stuff like this grass pouring onto the asphalt lol,
also i think those buildings in the back are the default twinmotion background but i may be wrong

Anonymous No. 955033

>>955017
pajeet detected

Anonymous No. 955105

>>955033
sudaca actually

the chair nerd No. 955130

>>955105
English anon, English. How many times do I have to stress that out.

Anonymous No. 955132

>>953504
V-Ray has been the industry standard for years and has similar energy conservation issues.
No one in archviz cares about correctness, archviz is about marketing and making things look pretty.

Image not available

960x612

1629284882493.png

Anonymous No. 955335

>>955130
i'm so fucking SORRY