Image not available

813x488

Screenshot 2023-0....png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 957215

Hey guys, I have relatively small experience with SolidWorks (started with TinkerCad where I made the following models), I'm actually working as an engineer on a cruise ship at the moment but I would like to recreate my work environment in 3D.
My main issue is the complexity of it on SolidWorks bring my (relatively strong) PC to it's knees without even starting to make the ships keel..

TLDR; What software should I use to model an engine room

Image not available

1567x731

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 957216

I don't care much about any functionality, just visualizing the pipelines and later (maybe) the machinery

Image not available

1440x720

Screenshot 2023-0....png

Anonymous No. 957217

I know it should be possible cause I've seen many game environments with similar complexity, also do you think it will take forever to reach a good level?

Image not available

1008x538

Multi Stage Fresh....png

Anonymous No. 957218

Ideally I would like to have many things separated into layers so that I could see the network of pipes corresponding to a specific machinery

Anonymous No. 957272

>>957215
If your goal is just o visualize stuff and not design systems I'd stick with a visualization software like skp or blender.
TinkerCad is somewhat server based so it can take a toll on performance even with a good pc.

Do you have an example of what you are trying to achieve visaully. Those screenshots seem basic as fuck.

Image not available

1920x710

render6.jpg

Anonymous No. 957318

>>957272
those screenshots are unfortunately about an hour for me, the complexity of my project is similar to THIS picture but I would really not mind way lower quality cause the scale of it about x10.. I know it will take months but would a gaming pc even manage it?

Image not available

7680x4320

12.jpg

Anonymous No. 957320

Mainly I want to visualize complex systems much bigger than
>pic related
in order to help new colleagues understand

Image not available

6000x3375

Potato rendering ....jpg

Anonymous No. 957361

>>957318
>those screenshots are unfortunately about an hour for me
Are you running on a potato. No offense but those seem super basic unless your pc/ software is poorly optimized. Also. viewport renderers are not good at vizualizing too much geometry specially mathematically defined geometry that's why there are render engines. They are designed to buffer and process geometry and material instances and manage memory to render an image or video.

>I know it will take months but would a gaming pc even manage it?
Hell yeah you just need a good rendering solution. I'd definitely try to make those processes in a gem engine (unreal or unity) so you can animate the camera, asign decent shaders and output into video without much hazzle.
Even a normal "off the shelf" render engine can handle huge scene if you know how to optimize a scene.

Example: Here's a 7k render of 100.000 oil refineries accounting for about 70 billion polygons. This was rendered in an old ryzen 1700 in about 7 minutes(if i buffer the lighting this could render in about 20 seconds). This is 3ds max and corona but any rendering solution can do similarly.

Anonymous No. 957375

>>957361
top kek
Sorry I guess I was misunderstood.
An hour of work, for me, to create the geometry. Not to render. So months in order for me to work on the design of the machinery and piping.

Rendering however is an issue when I try to create just the walls of the engine room on Solidworks

I would like to believe a 1060 8gb and i7 would suffice

Anonymous No. 957377

>>957375
>1060 8gb and i7 would suffice
Yep

Anonymous No. 957576

>>957215
>engineering cad and shiet
>in a board dedicated to thinly veiled coomershit and columbian visionary art

Anonymous No. 957615

OP here, I think level design in Unreal Engine 5 might be the way to go about visualizing the whole thing without demanding a quantum computer