Image not available

2192x1912

2023-09-08_15-20-00.png

๐Ÿงต filling holes in a mesh

Anonymous No. 957499

hi bros, first time here, and i'm not much of a modeler. i pulled some assets out of a vidya that i like and want to print them. the slicer likes solid things, but the mesh in question comes in non-manifold parts. so far i've tried joining all the parts together in Blender, selecting all, and pressing F. surprisingly, this works to seal the mesh, but generates artifacts. it also leaves useless internal geometry which i don't want. i also tried "remesh", but it ran out of memory and died.

my next attempt is going to be to do it by hand. i will merge vertices and create faces until the mesh is manifold. before i resort to that, does anyone have tips for finding these "holes" or for doing this in an easier way?

p.s. i'm a freetard and would prefer to stick to Blender

Anonymous No. 957503

Well, you could select a single face on every mesh meant to be seen, then use the spacebar search for "select linked", then search for "invert" (sorry, I have a lot of custom keybinds and I don't remember the defaults) to select your internal geometry, and delete/separate+hide it. After that, you could select the remaining stuff, and spacebar search for "select boundary loop" and then press F to seal the holes. After that you can enter sculpt mode, press "shift+r" to change the remesh resolution (don't go too high res if you're running out of memory) and "ctrl+r" to remesh.

Image not available

2734x2162

2023-09-09_08-53-58.jpg

Anonymous No. 957619

>>957503
thanks! i tried a few variations of this, and the result seems very close to just going mesh -> clean up -> fill holes. it does stupid shit like seal the cockpit though, because it doesn't know any better. at this point, i think my best bet is to fix everything by hand. i wish there was a way to better highlight what needs filling. sounds like my workflow is going to be Select All by Trait -> Non-Manifold and intersect with my own selections to delete. maybe after a while of this, filling holes will work better.

Image not available

1080x1920

prototype.webm

Anonymous No. 957620

p.s. here's a prototype i quickly printed for testing muh final vision. hoping to print it in fine detail after cleaning up the mesh.