Image not available

1620x1080

Wired1.jpg

๐Ÿงต LiDAR

Anonymous No. 957913

How useful is an iPhone with LiDAR? I'm just getting into 3D for art and interior design for my home. It sounds cool but I'm betting it's not very useful in practice. I just imagine all the 3D scanning apps are subscriptions and Apple makes it a bitch to actually get the scans off your iPhone and onto a Windows PC.

Anonymous No. 957914

forget about lidar

Anonymous No. 957920

It's nice for getting very quick scans of places for general scale reference. It's not very high quality, but it can provide decent results for what it is. I found it useful to scan some interiors to get their proportions and quickly scan some objects like sofas in a shop to put in my 3d scene for visualizations. It's much faster than the usual photo-based scanning. Not even close for production ofc, only for personal use.

Anonymous No. 958398

Apple uses it for collecting data for R&D of their VR glasses, no other reason why it's in iPhone and iPad.

Anonymous No. 958406

Depends on how much you need it.
You can get a dedicated 3D scanner like the creality ferret for $330, I would imagine it's better than an iphone but I don't really know.
If you're upgrading your phone at any point and it would be less than the cost of a stand alone 3D scanner to get lidar phone instead of the phone you would buy anyway, then maybe get an iphone?
Then you have to remember you have to clean up 3D scans which can be time consuming, and you'll end up with horrible geometry anyway, and the results still probably wouldn't be as good as modelling by hand.

Anonymous No. 958433

>>957913
the only actual usecase would be comparing real world dimensions to video game levels.

Anonymous No. 958883

Are there any examples of people using LiDAR for video art or special effects? That's what I'm mainly interested in using it for. I don't need major production quality geometry, just an easy way to maybe make an object 3D for VFX.

It's $200 to go from an iPhone to an iPhone Pro so if it even has a minor use case, sounds worth it. Could be good for more accurate measurements when trying to measure if a sofa would fit in a different spot at home or something.

Anonymous No. 958911

>>958406
Cheap 3D scanners suck so much that they're nigh unusable to the point where they're worse than what you can do with a modern iphone.
Source: I have a revopoint pop2 and that thing only works when using it for medium size objects with matte surface and the turn table.
Forget the handheld sweep mode to scan large objects there's no accelerometer in there so it has to rely on real time point cloud fusing for tracking which always breaks.