Image not available

1371x775

123124.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 960588

Hi guys, can someone please give me an advise cause im out of ideas at this point. Dont know where else to ask. Need help. Im making a playermodel mod for L4D2, and i ran into a probem. The model looks normal only when its very close to a light source on the map, goes pitch black anywhere else and doesnt react to flashlight. Sorry if its a wrong board to post about this, but wtf can cause this? Something to do with normals im guessing? Im not that proficient with 3DS Max but i did several other mods for L4D2 and never encountered a problem like that

Anonymous No. 960589

>>960588
could be normals, but also look into emission. it might be emitting black. you would want to change bace color/emission to be your image texture instead

Anonymous No. 960591

>>960589
no, def not, emitting a black light in this case would only work in 3ds Max itself, Source games dont work like that, you would have to create and add several VTF and VMT texture files besides the original texture if you want to make your model glow in game, im not sure you can make it into a light source.

Anonymous No. 960592

>>960588
I'm not very familiar with source.
You have an emission or unlit shader on you model.

Look how a shader for a working character is set up and copy that for this model. Also check the textures and alpha channels.
It might be that one of your textures have a channel with the opposite color than normal and it causes it to treat everything as emit.

Anonymous No. 960593

>>960591
emit in metallic workflow often just means unlit. Not effected by light so always at full brightness but not emitting light itself.

Anonymous No. 960594

>>960592
thanks, gonna try this

Anonymous No. 960602

>>960594
Let me know what it was, when you figure it out.

Anonymous No. 960657

>>960602
Solved it. Something happened with normals when i attached the meshes and applied smoothing groups. xform modifier + edit normals then Unify fixed it

Anonymous No. 960977

>>960588
you probably fucked up either something in the .vmt or in the .vtf when importing your diffuse.

post the .vmt code here

Anonymous No. 960979

or the vtf/vmt of your normals is fucked up.

Anonymous No. 961169

>>960977
already solved it >>960657
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Shading-breaks-when-attaching-objects-in-3ds-Max.html