๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 965018

>that defaul chainmail material that comes with Substance Painter
yikes
and you are worried about not being good enough for a job in the industry

Anonymous No. 965025

>>965018
>chainmail
The materials are the best things on that model, the face looks like shit, just like the hair and the arms, the skin shader is a piece of shit too.

Anonymous No. 965037

>>965018
They also have dirty auto weighting on most armors where it doesn't clip but you can tell it was a rush job because armpit / shoulderpad region deforms metal with the movement of the arm; It's functional but feels amateurish.
Less offensive with leather / chainmail, but looks really goofy with plate.

Anonymous No. 965049

>>965025
>>965037
That's not a screenshot of the release version but might be very early in early access.

Image not available

1200x675

23523523626.jpg

Anonymous No. 965050

>>965049
Nah anon nearly every armor in the game uses that stock subtance painter chainmail texture, it's pretty funny

Anonymous No. 965085

>>965037
I'll never not be mad at games that do this.
I say it time and again. Plate mail should never cave in at the chest, yet every fucking time it does like it's made of leather in video games.
For games where you can switch armor and shit, I don't give it a "pass" but I can see why it happens. But when you DESIGN a character that's wearing plate, and nothing else, and then have that shit happen it's inexcusable. You clearly meant for them to be wearing this fucking armor, and yet the person weighting it happily weights it down the fucking spine instead of a single bone, and the animators willy-nilly animate their chest moving, caving the shit in.

It's a incredibly small thing to get mad about, but god damn. People put all kinds of effort designing the armor to look strong and functional and then the model makes it bend like it's fucking papercraft. I don't normally give two fucks about "muh immershun" in games, but holy shit that takes me out more than my mongoloid custom characters with fucked up features pretending to be normal human beings.

Anonymous No. 965090

>>965085
You should sell them your Autist 8000 OCD rigging system (NEET edition) so studios can create a seperate parented rig for each wearable item in the game instead of projecting skin weights onto it.

Anonymous No. 965092

>>965090
as a not that anon which whom you replied to, shouldn't it be easy to just have a tool that allows the devs to select which auto-weighting scheme to use for each wearable item, and have basic presets like upper_arm and sternum which set all weights to a single bone?
Would also be very easy to create supplementary attachment bones to support whatever weird attachment points were necessary

Image not available

368x959

sh_plate.jpg

Anonymous No. 965110

>>965092
Perhaps a tool operating on these principles would work too, with some edge cases that might not (where there are 2-3 bone significant influences for instance)
I don't think that'll matter really for games like bg3 where during regular gameplay the characters are seen from birds eye view and during cutscenes they stand straight up while talking.

I also just tested it, here's my waifu ready to cast guiding bolt wearing heavy armor.
There's some sideways movement at the hip but the spine stays straight, and I'm pretty sure that's intentional.
Also some poses (like crouching) simply wouldn't work at all.

I know where that's going...
>/3/ makes a video game
>no clipping physically plausible rigging
>missing gameplay, story just a sandbox to play dress-up with polygon dolls

Anonymous No. 965132

>>965018
This is an ad for Substance Painter

Anonymous No. 965133

>>965090
Should be as simple as disabling bone rotation for specific spine bones if they're wearing something that restricts those bones from moving in the first place. If you're wearing a big piece of plate armor, you're only really going to be moving your torso as one unit from the hips. A simple boolean toggle that turns off spine rotation would be all you need. Surely game engines can let you influence bone pos/rot during gameplay, right?

Or even during the mocap stage, if a character design is pretty set, have them wear something restrictive in that area, since they know that character will be wearing something there that will restrict movement.

Anonymous No. 965135

>>965132
If you are implying that looks good you have very low standards

Anonymous No. 965162

>>965133
Yes that should be the solution with trivial effort for the most reasonable result.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually doing this.
You also get movement range limiting for free and don't have to create any separate rig or animation.
I doubt this will satisfy OP or the inventor of this "challenge" since technically each individual continuous piece of plate armor could move separately.
For that you'd pretty much have to run a rigid body simulation for every animation and bake it.

Anonymous No. 965183

>>965018
>>965025
prease understand smarr indie company!!!

Anonymous No. 965204

>>965162
>the inventor of this "challenge"
If you mean the person here, >>965085 that was me.
And depending on the way the armor is constructed, I doubt you'd need to run a rigid body sim on it to have it work properly. I feel like all you have to do, is just weight the armor parts like you'd weight a robot. 1 piece/part goes to a single bone, compared to the gradient between bones like you'd weight a body.
Like for pauldrons, you'd just weight them 100% to the upper arm bone and nothing else. No doubt you'd get some clipping if the character's arms go up too much, but despite my abhorrence of armor caving in like leather, clipping doesn't actually bother me that much. Armor IS designed to move (or at least let the person under neath move), there's areas already in the joints where it should be able to. I don't get why it's so hard to weight it properly. At the end of the day, someone has to weight the armor anyway, and doing 100% weights for things is simpler than doing smooth gradated weights.

The only real part you'd need to run a sim on are floppy bits like if the armor had a plate skirting or something, but something like that could easily be done with jiggle bones or something.