Image not available

550x1144

pic not related.png

🧵 Architecture Modelling - Quick Question

Anonymous No. 971044

I'm an artist of several years who seems to have missed the memo on this, so I thought I'd ask here. Normalized measurements, such as wall heights, window heights, door heights, couch heights, table heights. Where can I find these so I can design models to accurate-to-life scale for VR experiences? Is there a diagram or cheatsheet!

Anonymous No. 971047

>>971044
You’re looking for the software called CAD, Computer-aided design.

The best ones are:

Machine = https://www.freecad.org

Houing = http://www.sweethome3d.com

Understand that none of these are easy, they aren’t Blender or Maya that have tools to make something. You use realistic tools to build real life items. Also, no Blender doesn’t offer CAD, Blender can’t do CAD and all Blender CAD plugins are scams due to the simple fact that the calculations in Blender CAD are 99% wrong.

Anonymous No. 971048

>>971047
I own Plasticity, would it be good for this?

Anonymous No. 971049

>>971044
The cheat sheet is the human body itself, we're taller than we are thick or wide, our limbs have certain proportions that dictate how the architecture we design is shaped
to accommodate us.

How much headspace do a human need to a ceiling to neither feel claustrophobic nor dwarfed? When we know we also know how exploit this to place
an individual in a desired psychological headspace traversing the environment we design.

Architects, carpenters and people who design for humans often use archaic units of measurement like handspan, cubit, arm span, pace, footspan etc to determine
the correct dimensions for the human in that environment. Penning down these units and translate them to imperial or metric can be valuable shorthand.

Also using small unit numbers with a high number of even divisors is advisable to standardize on. For example I'm European and I think in metric.
But it's not very useful to design levels in 1x1x1m blocks as this get out of sync with how we're taller than we're wide.
So I personally build and think of level architecture as composed of 24cm tall blocks with a 20x20cm base A human is 7 to 8 heads tall
which translates to 7.5 blocks, my standard floor is 288cm or 12 units tall. Developing something similar is an effective mental shorthand to create well dimensioned spaces.

Also make use of classic architecture ratios like 'the golden ratio' when segmenting or determine proportion of things when in doubt
and it's difficult to not end up with something of harmonic proportions.

Anonymous No. 971050

>>971048
Yes and no, it doesn’t offer the best CAD experience but has long as you can add measurements then it’s good enough.

Anonymous No. 971051

>>971050
Great, thanks! Additionally, is there a good reference for standard wall thicknesses, heights, and stuff like that I could reference for such CAD software? If not, I totally understand. The end goal is to have the ability to create complex interiors for VR Social experiences, my current goal is for CVR, I'd like to have things properly scaled and everything.

Anonymous No. 971052

>>971051
Building codes vary from state to state and country to country. You have to figure out what kind of buildings from what area is 'standard' in your mind and check what the dimensions listed for those are. Even so they typically fall within a range of variance.

Anonymous No. 971053

>>971044
does anyone actually use blender for architecture or is it just gurus claiming they do to sell a course

Anonymous No. 971343

>>971053
No, it's fucking tedious.

t. actual architect

Anonymous No. 971347

>>971044
>using freecad for archviz
>using freecad for getting 3d models
>using freecad for vr

lmao even, just buy generic assets or get a catalog of interiors , no one is going to model each piece of an environment, or you're new or you're cris

if you're serious into making a vr experience, learn trim sheets , make some props and call it a day

Image not available

740x1080

neufert.jpg

🗑️ the chair nerd No. 972346

>>971044
Arch here the cheatsheet you are looking for is called the Neufert https://byarchlens.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Neufert-4th-edition.pdf

Its 600 pages of architectural dimensions.

Image not available

4000x3000

20240214_100308.jpg

🗑️ Anonymous No. 974971

Dës Plaz ass meng Toilette elo.