Image not available

1920x1080

lettuce temple co....png

๐Ÿงต Recreating cool places from shows/movies

Anonymous No. 972756

A very fun hobbie! This is the "Lettuce Temple" from the Aeon Flux episode "The Purge".
Is there anywhere online where people get together to make stuff like this?
And here's a question for you guys, with environments, how do you organize your 'objects' in Blender? In this project, for example, the 'body' of the temple is one object, the pillars are separate objects, the pools below are another.., Should they all be one big object? Or should I break it down further? Does it matter?

Image not available

1920x1080

render 03.png

Anonymous No. 972757

oh, and any good tips for doing the moss along that top arch thing?

Anonymous No. 972796

>>972757
Are you making the Titanic?

Image not available

737x1063

kitchen.png

Anonymous No. 972800

>>972756
>Is there anywhere online where people get together to make stuff like this?
I don't think there's a specific community for 3D recreations, but this is usually just called fanart. Even if it's just a complete recreation.
>how do you organize your 'objects' in Blender?
>Should they all be one big object? Or should I break it down further? Does it matter?
I like to go with multiple object, some of which are linked duplicates, as much as possible. This allows to easily apply modifiers that help with tedious work, like mirror and array, but only to necessary objects.

Pic attached is what I'm doing right now. I haven't started texturing or working out the single objects to detail yet, because I still have to get the layout correct. 2D to 3D is a pain in the ass, even if it's from a good artist that knows perspective. Some thing just don't match up. This scene is a recreation of a kitchen scene from an anime/manga, but I'm not giving away the title just yet. If anyone can guess it, I'll confirm it, though.

Anonymous No. 972803

>>972796
As in the boat? No..? Is there a titanic in Aeon Flux?

>>972800
>linked duplicates, as much as possible.
oh, yea, definitely, trying to use these as much as possible.
>2D to 3D is a pain in the ass, even if it's from a good artist that knows perspective. Some thing just don't match up.
Tell me about it! Personally, I consider Peter Chung a genius, but his environments are wildly inconsistent. It's part of what makes it a fun challenge though!

Image not available

1809x2288

2d_recreation.png

Anonymous No. 972805

>>972803
>Tell me about it! [...]
I didn't check with your example, but most 2D artists just go with whatever looks good and disregard anything like correct perspective "warping" of objects, even though most know how to properly use vanishing lines. It sure is a fun challenge to recreate something as close to the 2D original as possible, but it also shows how much 2D artists can cheat and how much we have trained our brains to not question these errors when viewing 2D images. Once you try to recreate something in 3D you can't fool your brain as much as with 2D, and you see all the mistakes the 2D scene actually shows.
Attached is another 2D->3D recreation I'm working on. At first it looked like an easy scene, because most of it looked like straight lines and easy shapes. But it turns out that, the further you stray from the center of the image, the more "kitbashing" the artist uses and the less accurate something gets. I still can't wrap my head around the upper left part of the image, or the angle of the sun, because none of the shadow/light lines actually match up with the universally.
Distances are also a problem. While you can use references like humans, to properly gauge your scene, you don't always have that luxury, or basing your scene around a reference like a human makes the scene super huge, because it simply isn't realy and the character has been added later on without regard to fitting into the scene.

Anonymous No. 972806

>>972805
>Once you try to recreate something in 3D you can't fool your brain as much as with 2D, and you see all the mistakes the 2D scene actually shows.
big time. I've spotted some wild errors I never would've otherwise. And not even just things being inconsistent between different shots, but in each frame as well.
>or the angle of the sun, because none of the shadow/light lines actually match up with the universally.
To be fair, I don't think a normal human brain is capable of calculating light and shadow with much accuracy anyways

Anonymous No. 972807

>>972806
>To be fair, I don't think a normal human brain is capable of calculating light and shadow with much accuracy anyways
You're not doing this consciously, but your brain automatically senses something wrong. Just look at all those fancy AI images and their completely random highlights and shadows. It just looks off, but you can't really put a finger on it. That's your brain on auto mode, just knowing something's wrong.
But I digress. I didn't want to start an AI debate. I just wanted to signify how important reading the proper sun angle from a 2D image is, because that would be crucial to have correct in a 3D equivalent.

Anonymous No. 972808

>>972807
yeah, I mean
3D light simulation >> human brain >> AI

Image not available

2073x1344

sdm_hallway.png

Anonymous No. 972810

>>972808
I'd add some more >>>>> in between brain and AI, but yeah ;)

Attached is another image I was working on for a while, until I noticed just how borked the background is. Not only was it impossible to match the distance for the lights on the walls in 3D, but the colums didn't match as well, and the arches weren't make any sense because they're, at the same time, flat AND have volume....
But the main problem was the ceiling. The arched part right above the character fits into the scene, but the further to the back you go, the more warped the scene gets. If you use the sills on the walls, which should be straight lines, as an indicator, you can see that the three windows in the background at much taller than the arched ceiling above the character. My brain simply doesn't find a proper connection there. I've put the image on pause for now. Maybe later I find a way to connect this.

Anonymous No. 972811

>>972810
I say just shoot for the spirit of the illustration, and accept you have to make some final decisions about the forms. Otherwise it's just an exercise in frustration

Image not available

3785x2134

Bleach.jpg

Anonymous No. 972822

>>972756
I did a few from Bleach a few years back. I think the architecture in the anime is pretty neat, and when the spaces are empty, they kind of have that zoomer liminal vibe.
Far left of pic related was the only one I bothered to finish, the Central 46 compound in the Soul Society. I had started another on the castle in the middle of the seireitei, and another on Ichigo's inner world but I never bothered to finish those. Had to work on something else more important.
On the bright side, I was able to re-use the buildings I made for the inner world for other projects, so not all of it was a waste of time.

I still wanna do one of Las Noches/Hueco Mundo though, I always thought it looked pretty neat.

Anonymous No. 972846

>>972822
very neat stuff! That castle looks very challenging, but you captured it well

Image not available

1400x933

Kowloon-Walled-Ci....jpg

Anonymous No. 973113

>not recreating kowloon

ngmi

Image not available

60x77

1689414056651903.png

Anonymous No. 973645

>>972757
kinda looks like cabbage desu

Image not available

1638x1084

1687414057510908.jpg

Anonymous No. 973647

>>973645

Image not available

320x240

IMG_6813.png

Anonymous No. 976122

>>973113
>Not recreating the EarthWalker Walled City
>DNGMI

Anonymous No. 976821

finally a cool thread

the chair nerd No. 976872

>>976821
Agree. Give me a place from a movie.

the chair nerd No. 976887

>>976872
Oh shit sorry my choice I'm making something from dragon ball

F.

Image not available

3484x1500

Spirit World Office.jpg

Anonymous No. 976894

>>972822
Forgot about this one too.
Started up a little project about a year before the Bleach stuff to recreate the Spirit World office in Yu-Yu-Hakusho, but kinda lost steam early on. I think it was mainly because I had to shift my focus to another gig, and by the time I finished I couldn't be bothered to continue.
Kind of a running theme with both projects. Both are centered around the whole "spirit world" from both animes, and both were left unfinished because something else took priority.