Image not available

1536x2048

16677554545.jpg

🗑️ 🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 973158

I have the opportunity to attend two different schools for a "multimedia design" degree, both take sort of a different approach

First one: This one gives you a very basic understanding of design with two or three design subjects in the curriculum like "Graphic Design I/II" and the rest of the degree is divided in different modules where they teach you certain software and a project along with it, from Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender, Unreal Engine, post production video/audio, even PHP programming with UX/UI stuff, 3D modeling/animation, VFX etc. I expect all of them to be very basic and that you're supposed to dive deep on your own interest, it's more like a "practical" degree in some way.

The other school has a more traditional degree with courses like photography, art history & design, front end webdev, typography, morphology, digital audio, design semiotics, it also has some 3D subjects but it doesn't cover as much.

Idk, do you guys think it's important to have an strong foundation in design for working with 3D? I think I want to do motion graphics or maybe post-production video but I still don't know, the good thing about the first school is that it kinda shows you all the possibilities.

I don't know if I like Graphic Design to be honest, I like using photoshop and doing edits and stuff like that, but I don't like branding or logo/package design

Anonymous No. 973160

>>973158
If you don’t like branding and logo then don’t go with the first or second since companies expect you to add brand into the characters. Creating OC will be the lead designer job and you’ll might not be suited for it yet.

Find another school since you never mentioned them offering MoCap. What about lightning production, you’ll have to do some light rendering in your lifetime. Lastly, VR if they care about 3D they should at least have a little project for it.

Image not available

1722x714

ZXx1pZ9DVd.jpg

Anonymous No. 973167

>>973160
I didn't want to mention all of it but the first one also has a textures, Lighting & 3D rendering course. They also advertise about the Mocap thing, say its used in animation as well so they definitely show you something about it.
I feel I want to do something related with multimedial design and 3D but I can't pinpoint the area. This is the degree for the first school (translated).
Does it look ok to you? It's honestly the one I'm inclining towards the most

Anonymous No. 973173

>>973158
First one, more utilitarian

Anonymous No. 973185

>>973158

...look, booth schools target different types of people! the first school educates you to be able to do finalise the ideas of the people who visited the second school!

my first guess, from what you wrote, take the first and develop a sense what looks good/works over time and teach yourself the foundation of the second school when you got a job ... design jobs are brutal and exhausting when you struggle with having ideas and/or doesnt know what works well!!

Anonymous No. 973197

>>973167
First one looks like everything a film school would do. Are you sure it’s a 3D animation class and not film class. The 2 subjects can get confused with old people and the teacher would spend time teaching you film related subjects then 3D animation.

Anonymous No. 973202

>>973158
Alright listen to me. I went to a regular art school, graduated with an art degree, then went to a technical school for CG, dropped out halfway through the program (it was all baby shit), then went on to have a very successful career for 10+ yr working on games that won awards for good art.

I'll keep this brief:
>General art programs are too broad, beginner-tier, and won't help you push yourself
>An entire semester of photography lessons can be condensed into a 30-minute video, the same applies for ALL your classes
>There's a few good art schools (New3dge, Gobelins, etc.) with a focus on -=ACTUAL INDUSTRY SHIT=-, but anything that's not world-class is run by tired teachers with no industry experience, teaching the 3ds max UI for the 17th year in a row
>School is only valuable because it provides you a structure, if you're disciplined you can learn everything from Youtube and online courses
>School is also good if you want to try out a lot of different shit
>Teachers won't have time to mentor you or give you detailed feedback
>Most teachers are very poor artists and give awful feedback, will completely miss the point
>Popular online classes/tutorials often come from the top 1% of industry pros. Your local college classes are taught by local bum hicks, who often don't do any pro work because they're busy teaching
>If a school has loads of good student work, it probably teaches something useful. If only a few students are good, they learned all that on their own and the school is shit

tl;dr don't go to art school unless you have a GUARANTEE that school will turn you into a new man. These schools are very rare. For everything else, good online learning material is insanely high quality and will get you further.

>>973185
retard, graduates from both schools ain't worth shit, we don't look at a person's schooling in the industry. some of the meaner people actually laugh at students who wasted their time

Image not available

9657x4319

wie wig.jpg

Anonymous No. 973206

>>973202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCWzgFQJ0YA
Just to drive the point home, here's a 13-minute video that explains some incredibly important graphic design notions in a fun way by redesigning the US driver's license.
Not only did the school I attend never explain how to group elements like this, the "design" class consisted of the teacher showing funny logos that accidentally looked like sex things.

(It was one of the top 5 game art schools in Canada btw)

Anonymous No. 973221

>>973158
attend a school that has teachers with big names, make connections, be reliable, profit

Anonymous No. 973222

>>973197
>are you sure it’s a 3D animation class and not film class
It's not strictly a 3D animation degree
It's like a digital design degree, so it includes 3D stuff and post production things like video editing or programming

Image not available

1000x1000

93ac272052b70f851....png

Anonymous No. 973223

>>973202
>>973206
yeah, I know that the best learning when it comes to digital stuff (programming/3d) is the one you do on your own with highly rated courses, but I guess I need a little structure first to even see what are my options in the fiel of digital design and have an initial push or something, maybe I don't even end up finishing the degree, but trying different stuff sounds good. The first one goes from php to game design projects with unity/unreal so I'll probably find something interesting in the middle to get engaged and dive deep on my own to make a career of, or so I hope.

I'm going to ditch the second option because it's too long (4 years vs 3) plus attending all days of the week vs the first one that is only 3 days a week and I can practice shit on my days off. Alright fuck it

🗑️ test !klxTWX1e4Q No. 977586

test