Image not available

1920x1080

1709499917616923.png

🧵 Rigging solution for minimum amount of work

Anonymous No. 976535

I'm having a hard time finding some guidelines on this, I guess cause riggin stuff are industry kept secrets.
But I'm a gamedev and I'd like to automate this process as much as possible if not completely.
So the rigging part, the control rig part and ESPECIALLY the weight painting part cause I can enjoy any of these BUT weight painting.

I dev in Unreal so I need my bone hierarchy to fit Unreal's mannequin one. What addons/plugins should I go for (if that possible to automate completely that shit in the first place)?
I don't care if it's in Maya, Blender, whatever as long as I end up with a character correctly rigged to use anim packs from the Epic Market place. I'll pick the ones that lifts up the most work from my shoulders.

Anonymous No. 976551

>>976535
Use Maya, that's the best software for rigging. I definitely changed to Maya because of this, blender kinda sucks for rigging

Anonymous No. 976555

>>976551
Yeah in the meantime I figured Maya would be my go to solution in the end.
You got addons to recommend for this?
I'm already getting Advanced Skeleton again to rig since I had a good experience with it back then. But what about weight painting, are there automatic solutions?
Not necessarly one that is working perfectly 100ù of the time but just the best one out there. Even if it requires tweaking and manual painting.

Anonymous No. 976558

>>976555
Yes you can easily make a character rig with just a few points on where the human body exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c538zkwxgTQ

Anonymous No. 976559

>>976558
Oh so what you're telling me is that the tools from native Maya are already advanced enough for what I'm asking?
Like I said weight painting is the thing I'm trying to get rid off the most

Anonymous No. 976560

>>976559
Yes, you can rig without weight painting but only for human bodys. Animals, items and simulated clothing aren’t going to replace the weight paintings.

Anonymous No. 976563

>>976535
>riggin stuff are industry kept secrets
https://www.mixamo.com/
https://www.reallusion.com/auto-rig/accurig/
>industry kept secrets
Please.

Anonymous No. 976591

>>976563
Anon you know these are dogshit

Anonymous No. 976595

>>976563
>mixamo and accurig
that's why 3d modelling looks like shit nowadays

Anonymous No. 976596

>>976591
Maybe it's your model.

Anonymous No. 976597

>>976595
That's right. You should learn how to model before you blame Mixamo.

Anonymous No. 976598

>>976596
>>976597
It's the auto-rigs fault. you can never make hair or simulated clothing with those tools.

Anonymous No. 976599

>>976598
You're not supposed to make hair or simulated clothing with Mixamo. There's the Cloth simulator for that.

Anonymous No. 976624

The key point some you are missing is the fact that I want my rigs to be UE friendly (with the default skeletal mesh) so I can use all these anims pack I got from the market place.

Anonymous No. 976625

>>976535
https://files.catbox.moe/fqe6jb.png
If the topology is good then weighting and rigging will be easy.

Anonymous No. 976626

>>976596
I'd explain why you are retarded but I want you to stay that way

Anonymous No. 976637

Ok, I settled down for this
> Rig automatically in Advanced Skeleton
> Generate control rig with it as well
> Use ngSking for weight painting
> Tweak weight painting
I think it's a good balanced between automation and manual rigging. I'll have to try it out for myself.
>>976625
That's not the point tho. At least not for the moment cause all I want to do right now is download Jojo meshes from resource-models.com and make them move in my game with the default mannequin anims.

Anonymous No. 976646

>>976637
Jojo poses also includes the hair and clothing. Those tools won’t do much in the feeling of terror and cool. Animation is also another important aspect when you want the clothes and hair to look in a certain direction. My advice is to actually learn how everything is done, not hard to do once you know.