Image not available

1024x611

sdf9316r66i71.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 990203

When learning to creating models, is it better to learn the typical fundamentals first then shift to learning about low poly or should I just start with learning low poly first? I intend to mainly do low poly first or at least PS2 level of poly and i'm not sure if, for whatever reason, learning normal high poly modeling could be detrimental or waste my time instead of just skipping over to low poly stuff.

Anonymous No. 990256

learn what you want to make, 3d is a wide field

Anonymous No. 990281

>>990203
The definition of Low-poly is context dependent. First, the default state of every model is low poly and good topology practice dictates that polygons are added, incrementally, only as needed until the model is complete. Second, low-poly is an art form that is minimalist representation of objects, but to do this well requires a solid understanding of topology. So rather than thinking in terms of hi/low-poly, think instead about optimum topology.

Anonymous No. 990387

speaking from experience, I fell for the blender donut meme and felt pretty overwhelmed halfway through since I had little chance to understand why I was doing what I was doing. it was 95% just trying to copy exactly what he did without knowing why, throwing me right into the deep end before I even knew how to make something as simple as a table
after that I went to low poly and found it far easier and more enjoyable, especially so since that's what I wanted to do in the first place
anyway, most of it is just finding a teacher you like that's actually decent, plus searching up how to do things when you run into a wall. you might prefer to pay for a course if you want a guided learning experience though, since doing the random youtube tutorial method can create some gaps in your knowledge
I think Grant Abbitt and Imphenzia are particularly good teachers. just stick with it and you'll get there eventually, start simple and work your way up

https://youtu.be/1jHUY3qoBu8?si=vy2jjq0GKs-tLqGS

Anonymous No. 990403

>>990203
Think about it anon. Legacy videogame graphics that is so lowpoly you can count the surfaces is the art of representing something you can't capture
using the limited poly budget as well as you would want so you the artist have to sacrifice all but the most important detail to get it to look as good as you want.

Making stellar lowpoly art hinges on you being a good enough artist to make the thing you want to depict as it would actually look if
you where unrestricted by polycount and then simplify it to what is possible within your limitations.

It's not some 'easy to do' artform you practice because 'real art' is jsut too hard. The people who in the era that kind of hrapic is from
made the low poly assets for games was tip of the spear art talent that could continue to work on more elaborate graphics as
hardware restrictions became less of a factor, they where not some dabbling yahoos like the ones who flock to retro-graphics today.