Image not available

784x729

WIP34.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 990857

This must be something really basic, but. Lets say there are two concentric cylinders like picrelated.
When you look at them individually, smooth shading works just fine. But when you look at them together, at their shared overlap surface you will notice the true lowpoly geometry of bigger cylinder is now visible.
How would you fix this?

Anonymous No. 990858

>how do i make a polygon rounder?

Anonymous No. 990859

>>990858
So is there no other way than increasing geometry? I suspect it might be possible to join them and do something with them, but I'm not sure what exactly should it be.

Image not available

1399x607

editNormals.jpg

Anonymous No. 990860

>>990859
If you have a seam between polygons you want to make look smooth you do a chamfer between them and edit the normals on each side so a 1 polygon edgeloop looks like a smooth quartercircle blend into the adjacent geometry. That's how lowres geometry is done to remain very low poly while looking a lot higher res than it really is in many modern games.

Anonymous No. 990865

>>990857
I would learn subd modeling

Anonymous No. 990867

any intersecting geometry is going to highlight the edges of the polygons. you could combine the cylinders and use normals and shaders to make it look smoother but that would consumer as much or more resources than just adding polygons.

Image not available

715x617

Fqgf8qkXwAIBTXt.jpg

Anonymous No. 990868

>>990860
Omg, thanks, that's kind of magic I hoped for.
>>990865
Is that another name for applying subdivision surface modifier?

Anonymous No. 990876

>>990868
>Is that another name for applying subdivision surface modifier?
Yes. However, you need to have a good grasp of topology to do subd modeling well. It's all about edge flow and edge loops, but also knowing where you need extra geometry to avoid pinching and stretching.

Anonymous No. 990899

>>990857
Bro, don't you already have a thread? Ask in there.