>It's another "i can't spline so i pretend its stopmotion anime" fad shit
>Models aren't even toonshaded
Will this trend ever die?

Image not available

1136x640

IMG_0392.png

Anonymous No. 991140

>>991137
What i hate is amateurs not knowing how rigging works. Especially the face, so static and sometimes awkward to see. They don’t even try to put effort in swapping the face in 2d textures, they’re incapable of such things.

All the free and paid rigging tools aren’t going to help them make faces look natural.

Anonymous No. 991145

>>991137
splines are for amateurs and queers

Image not available

1244x750

1650835540158.png

Anonymous No. 991153

>>991145
>Splines are for queers
Then why is it that 70% of the time there's a non-splined animation - it's made by someone with a queer flag?

Image not available

620x519

1719630293229730.png

Anonymous No. 991182

>>991137
Do pros mostly use splines? The tutorial I was following only uses quaternions bones, and that makes using graph editor splines impossible

Anonymous No. 991187

>>991182
Splining is used to finetune your animation after you've set the keys in. Quaternions don't have any problems with it unless your rolls are retarded and make control nigh-impossible.
Pretty much All professional/quality animation is splined.

Anonymous No. 991192

>>991182
The only time I would use quaternions bones would be for toon characters. You want the crazy physics to look crazy. Big hands look better because the character puts weight on it vs just scaling the base hand to animate a small joke scene. Sometimes you want all quaternions bones because animating it to look toony is unnecessary work.

Anonymous No. 991202

>>991137
I genuinely love the look of stepped interpolation on 2s, I don't care if it makes me a trend chaser I haven't even seen spiderverse so fuck you. Personally I still spline and refine, and then bake it on 2s and refine again to get the 12fps kino which looks better imo than just skipping spline.

Anonymous No. 991205

>>991137
Huh?
If the animation looks fine in stop motion, it'd look fine if you interpolated it, right? The motion and timing is the same, you're just seeing more frames of it.

Image not available

318x450

file.jpg

Anonymous No. 991209

>>991205
It depends.
Usually splining helps with accelleration, timings and movement arcs, all of which are skipped in stepped because there's no movement between frames, just jumping from one to other.
Just interpolating between keys would make each frame move in the same straight/slightly curved line at the same accelleration, and sometimes it can work well with well placed keys, but most of the time it'd introduce choppy/robotic movement and unnatural arcs.

Anonymous No. 991231

>>991209
I guess, but I just feel like in a "perfect world" if you're animating stepped with proper animation techniques to the point it just looks like normal frame-by-frame animation, adding interpolation would simply add those extra in-between frames. All the timing and stuff is already there, it's just that animating fbf is a stylistic choice. I guess ideally you'd just use linear interpolation if you changed from stepped to interpolated since the timing is more or less hard baked.
Still, if someone can't animate with proper timing and animation principles, it's going to look like shit whether it's in stop motion or fluid. You can't hide that shit.

Anonymous No. 991258

>>991187
Sorry, by splining you just mean turning on interpolation? I thought we were talking about editing with graph editor splines

Anonymous No. 991267

>>991258
>Splining is used to finetune the animation
>Turning on Interpolation is finetuning
Anon, i...

Anonymous No. 991271

>>991267
I was confused because I've heard it's too unintuitive to finetune quaternion values in the Blender graph editor, so I just assumed by "fine-tuning" you meant choosing which one of the 12 interpolation modes looks best

Anonymous No. 991287

>>991271
It’s not your fault, Blender users don’t actually know the difference between quaternion for rotation or quaternion for weight. They don’t study the higher grades of 3D theorys and stick to the standard stuff.