Image not available

1920x998

1697440269221991.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 991572

I'm really trying not to be a doomer, but how am I supposed to get into the industry when china is churning out thousands of students every year that can put out work like this? why would anyone me as an environment artist for american wages when can hire like 5 guys overseas for the same price? how could I realistically even compete? do I try and segway into a more technical like tech art? or do I pray that I somehow network with the right people and they pity me enough to get me a job?

Image not available

1112x1136

1716190883092700.jpg

Anonymous No. 991575

>how could I realistically even compete
You can't. Environment/character/prop art are overly saturated fields that studios are outsourcing like crazy. If you want to get hired, find a niche job that nobody is doing and get good at it. Studios will be lining up to hire you. If you want a suggestion, look into real-time VFX art (easy) or technical art/character TD (hard). Learn how to script and get good at rigging.

Anonymous No. 991585

>>991572
get a job in another field, hell even retail if that's all you're good for, and then do 3D on the side if you actually enjoy it

Anonymous No. 991587

>>991575
I’m here to tell you, SFX is not easy. You can’t justifying the cost of spending hours for small particles of a character for no one to care.

Anonymous No. 991694

cultivate an audience

Anonymous No. 991699

>>991572
You fucking don't retard
>how am I supposed to be a rockstar when every other fag wants to be a musician? It's basically impossible!
you get paid to do shit people DONT want to do, not stuff that people do. That's why it's called WORK not paid fun

Anonymous No. 991748

>>991572
Outsourcing has made it impossible to get hired by the professional industry for the exact reason you described, unless you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy a.k.a. nepotism.
The only option you have that I can think of is going indie: find a project to join or create one yourself and give it your best shot. Try the Game Dev League over on D*scord, or the /agdg/ general on /vg/. Best to find a job on the side in the meantime if you're not already getting free gibs from your dad or government

Anonymous No. 991759

This is why we tell morons who think they don't need to go to school that they are morons that need to go to school.

Anonymous No. 991839

>>991572
>anon learns he cant make money doing something chinks do

Anonymous No. 991928

>>991748
>find a project to join or create one yourself and give it your best shot. Try the Game Dev League over on D*scord, or the /agdg/ general on /vg/
I've thought about working with others but I'm on the spectrum and I don't ... vibe with most people involved in game dev

Anonymous No. 991969

>>991759
Did it work out for you?

Anonymous No. 991994

>>991572
If that image is an example of your best work product then no you don't compete, you get in line with all the rest and maybe get a hand out of a job on contract some time in the next decade.
Most companies only want that, someone generic who will do what they are told.