Image not available

1887x1283

omg_substance_2.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 992567

Maybe not strictly 3d question but certainly adjacent to 3dcg. Can anyone with knowledge of Substance Designer explain why blending together (with Subtract mode) of Linear Gradient passed through Transformation 2D and Curve creates a shape like this? How this works, what actually happens? This result just seems like magic and I really wanted to understand the "math" behind this.

Anonymous No. 992571

>>992567
Think of White as 1 and Black as 0 and it makes sense. You are subtracting the upper gradient from the lower one, which means on the right you're subtracting very little (=black) and on the left you're subtracting a lot (=white).
Because the lower gradient isn't all that bright to begin with, you reach zero pretty fast going from right to left (negative numbers = black), and the darker the lower gradient, the faster you reach it. Histogram just sets a threshold and treats everything lower as strictly 0 and anything higher as strictly 1.

Anonymous No. 992572

>>992571
Thanks, this makes sense. Feels like a bit of a roundabout way to define shapes though.

Image not available

1571x1345

uhhh.png

Anonymous No. 992625

This is the POWER. I can feel the whole UNIVERSES are about to be born at my fingertips.

Anonymous No. 992627

>>992625
Cool stuff anon. Substance Designer is a deep rabbit hole.