Image not available

900x900

png-clipart-blend....png

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 992830

why is Blender still such unintuitive garbage?

Anonymous No. 992839

UI designed by committee.

Anonymous No. 992840

First of all it's not garbage

But regarding why it's unintuitive, it was originally developed as an inhouse tool rather than a tool to be used by the wide public, so they could choose the interface and workflows that were better to their usage or preference rather than sticking to established conventions and what not.
I also would expect being a free tool imposed funding limitations to what they could do, for instance if I'm not wrong the animation module was maintained by just a single developer for a long time.
They're slowly improving usability and making some things more intuitive recently though and there are some big changes pending for the animation module in the coming years.

Anonymous No. 992845

Don't use autodesk if you think Blender is unintuitive

Anonymous No. 992847

>>992845
I've used both Fusion 360 and Inventor and the sketch > extrude > features workflow was far easier to work with than pulling vertices around and dealing with modifiers and shit

Anonymous No. 992875

>Why is a program I'm already familiar with easier for me to use than a program I'm not familiar with?

Anonymous No. 992927

When I was young, I made a simple animation with Max3D. That was on Windows 95. I could never figure out the Blender GUI.

Anonymous No. 992944

I really want to use Maya but I cannot in any way justify the price along with how I absolutely despise subscription-based software. Too bad the only crack I can find is russian shit that I'm scared to download

Anonymous No. 992951

>>992840
Handywavy retard fakes answer dot jpeg
Post some fucking proof. "Workflows that were better to their usage" of what? making 3d shapes? That's what everyone else is doing, retard.

Anonymous No. 992971

Eevee "next" is such fucking dogshit. It's impossible to use as a preview for animated textures because it just turns into fucking grainy noise.
How the fuck do I just get it back to normal. I'm not using Eevee to render, just to preview things in Cycles. I can't preview animated textures in Cycles because of the noise, but jesus fucking christ it's somehow 10x more visually stable than eevee now.

Mecha No. 992974

>>992944
That's my problem too.

I've almost bitten the bullet for their indie-tier but I still can't justify 300 bucks. Maybe if I actually get serious with my gamedev stuff but I got better bills to pay at the moment

Anonymous No. 993044

>>992971
Plot twist. Eevee puts materials with transparency to "hashed" by default, which results in previously mentioned dogshit that doesn't resolve.
Setting it to blend fixes it kinda, but there's still a shitload of ghosting.

Image not available

900x1200

chad (5).jpg

Anonymous No. 993071

>>992830
Because you gotta know the program as a whole to make sense of it.

I would argue its consistency Is worse than its intuitiveness, but 99% of people get filtered before that point.

Anonymous No. 993077

>>992951
https://www.blender.org/about/history/
>Originally, Blender was planned as an in-house application for NeoGeo; it grew from a series of pre-existing tools, including a ray-tracer built for the Amiga. This early version of Blender was intended to address a perennial frustration among creatives: when a difficult client requires multiple changes to a project, how do you implement those changes painlessly? Thanks to its highly configurable approach, Blender aimed at providing an answer. (As an aside: the name refers to a song by a Swiss electronic band, Yello).
You seem rude and not worth my time so this is my last reply to you.

Anonymous No. 993081

garbage just like most threads that got deleted.

Anonymous No. 993144

>>992830
wait till you use any other software for 3d/gamedev, faggot

Anonymous No. 993155

>want to get into blender for vrchat avatar faggotry
>already uploaded a couple of prefab models through blender and unity
>can’t be that hard.png
>search up a random tutorial, skim over it
>spawn cube in blender, tutorial says to use drawing pad so I use the one I already have.
>cube turns into spiky shit that is not anything like the soft clay I expected
>immediately never touch blender again

what’s the point of blender if the modeling tools don’t even work

Anonymous No. 993166

>>993155
Sculpting with 8 vertices? Adventurous...
Is Blender the great filter?

Anonymous No. 993168

>>993166
Blender has always been the great filter. [spoiler]I spend just as much time reading about Blender as I spend using it.[/spoiler]

Anonymous No. 993169

I feel like if you can't use blender 3+ then you weren't meant to make it

Anonymous No. 993183

>>992971
I only get the grain with ray tracing on. Turn it off and it's back to the old way. Denoise gets rid of it, but the blurriness makes it a poor representation of what you should be seeing.

Anonymous No. 993239

>>993169
No one can, you just sounded stupid now. https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/249029/identifying-why-blender-3-0-crashes-constantly

Anonymous No. 993241

>>992830
>why is Blender still such unintuitive garbage?
not just that, but when you try and follow a tutorial 50% of the steps don't work because the tutorial was on an old version and everything is changed.

Anonymous No. 993284

>>992830
then don't use it, are you a cunt?

Anonymous No. 993291

everyone ITT is retarded, niggerish and autistic. i use blender only for poly modeling which is its only competent use.
Zbroosh for sculpting
Plasticity for CAD
RizomUV for uving
substance painter texturing
marmoset for rendering and baking
Topogun for retopology

And it just works

Anonymous No. 993301

>>993183
Raytracing was off. Still looked like shit, but I fixed it... kinda >>993044
As mentioned, there's still a shitload of ghosting like it's shooting off rays even though RT is off.

Anonymous No. 993307

>>992971
yeah same
>How the fuck do I just get it back to normal
I went back to 4.1, there's zero difference with 4.2 outside of the dogass nu-EEVEE

Anonymous No. 993316

>>992830
What? You want to reorder your vector groups? Just select the single vector group you wish to move, and then tap the up or down button 50 times until it's in its place.
What do you mean every other menu allows you to just drag items to sort them? Well you see, drag sorting vector groups is low on the development priority. We might get to it in another 10 years when we rebuilt the UI.

What's that? Selecting the mesh in weight painting mode is needlessly complicated, because the edit mode method of selection is 10x easier?
Well you see, we can't make weight paint selection work like edit mode selection, because we already have edit mode. So just select from edit mode.

What's that? Swapping from edit to weightpaint constantly is bothersome? Ah, well, you see, we uh... It's low priority. Yeah. Low priority.

Look, we made it so you can select vertex groups by selecting bones. What's that? Yes, yes, you have to select the armature, and then select the mesh, and then go into weight paint mode. What's that? Toggling in and out of weight paint mode removes bone selection? Bone selection should always be available by default? But why would we do that?

Anonymous No. 993320

>>993316
>wHy wOuLd yOu wAnT tHaT?
>I am a developer with no artistic, design, or UX skills to speak of. I can't think of any other use-case outside my own limited experience of using the software

Anonymous No. 993327

>>993291
Why marmoset over substance painter for rendering and baking?

Anonymous No. 993329

>>993241
So true, bestie. Anyway, accepting this fact and installing multiple versions seems the way. I'm gonna stick with 4.2 + 3.6 for GScatter masks, for example.

Anonymous No. 993344

>>992830
I wish the devs would give me the option to make my scenes Right Hand Z-up

Anonymous No. 993401

>>993241
Learn to intuit shit and use your brain so I don't see spam of the same exact tutorial on my YT feed and suggestions every time a new version of Blender comes out. There's entire channels that live entirely off of one tutorial that they make every time a new version comes out and some retarded shit like sculpt mode is slightly different (even though it has no bearing on the video).

Anonymous No. 993408

>>993401
>Learn to intuit shit
intuitive [ ]
blender [ ]
choose one.

Anonymous No. 993429

>>992847
>compare 3d modeler to a 3d a cad software
I forgot /3/ is a shit board composed mostly of retards. kys

Another retarded bait thread for a retarded dead board, fuck.

Anonymous No. 993431

>>992830
Not nearly as bad as Zbrush. Zbrush has the worst UI out of any software ever made. Still once you get it there is no going back to anything else. Same can be said for Blender as far as basic modeling goes.

Anonymous No. 993458

>press F3
>type what you need
>get it
How fucking hard can it be?

Anonymous No. 993460

>>993408
Don't need to.
I'm not implying Blender is intuitive, I'm telling you to use your fucking brain and just look for shit, google if you don't know, or god forbid just use the search function in the program. I've been using this shit program for well over 10 years, functions don't dance around like they're playing musical chairs. They're all pretty much in the exact same place as they've always been.

Anonymous No. 993479

Currently using Blender to do Elementza's Maya modeling tutorials right now. They both use pretty much the same workflow.

You can f3 to search any command and right click>add to quick favorite ( hotkey Q ) . There's even Pie Menu Editor to build your own pie menu, completely sidestep remembering hotkeys

Anonymous No. 993518

>>993166
how do I increase vertices? And how many vertices should I use?

Anonymous No. 993523

>>993518
this feels like bait so I'm not going to give you an answer

Anonymous No. 993526

>>993458
>>993479
better yet, use spacebar to search instead of play animation

Anonymous No. 993529

>>992830
That doomer attitude will filter you out of everything OP.

Anonymous No. 993535

>>993431
Blender modelling is so easy that I've been using the program as part of my job for years now. I used 3DSmax for years before and I will never, ever go back to it.
If you want unintuitive, go deal with Maya, or worse Modo. Modelling anything in Maya sucks ass if you need to do anything complex.

Anonymous No. 993545

>>993535
Same. I do miss Max's spline tools. You could do some freaky things with those. Tangents on curves for example.

Anonymous No. 993547

>>992830
Every software that's complex is not intuitive in some way, I used to model in 3ds max and I made a full scene in blender in a week, all these software wars are extremely retarded. Choose the tools you feel more comfortable and start making 3d models. Being a fanboy is gay as fuck.

Anonymous No. 993581

>>993523
no wonder why 3DCG is dead, since nobody wants to answer beginner questions about how to use blender

Anonymous No. 993600

>>993581
Ultra-beginners should answer their own questions through the use of Google, if they can't look up basic things then they have no future in 3DCG

Anonymous No. 993646

>>993581
How about you tell me how anon figured out that you had exactly eight vertices to work with?

Anonymous No. 993674

>>993408
>intuitive [X]
>blender [X]
Should've used radio buttons instead, cowboy B-)

Anonymous No. 994132

>>992830

learning blender is like mastering the jian. it's harder than the alternatives but it's still the superior nobleman's tool. i'd rather spend years learning blender than paying for some faggy C4D license.

Anonymous No. 994134

>>992971
is wut you get for wasting your time with meme software

Anonymous No. 994230

>>994134
Still gettin paid though. Unlike 90% of people on the board (including you).

Image not available

864x340

High IQ.jpg

Anonymous No. 994416

>>992830
you need eleventy billion addons, then you it's usable, kinda cool actually

Anonymous No. 994547

>>992830
skill issue

Anonymous No. 995111

>>993327
its superior with baking due to faster times and groups (allows you to use cages that intersect without erros, which gives you occlusion with a cage, also has built in cage system, but its so poorly executed youre better off making your own cages)

Anonymous No. 995139

Blender 4.2 + CAD sketcher add-on has been pretty useful since buying a 3d printer. I tried using other CAD software, but I only need to make some of the model technical while other parts can be 90% freehand

Anonymous No. 996581

>>992840
always these retards justifying bad decisions

foss simply can't do UX - good programs, unusable crap. Tried to use freecad - three ways to do the same thing - you have to start a piece in a certain way if you want to use a tool on it later on - nowhere in the docs, just read a lot of forum posts - also foss = shit docs except on the star projects - went back to pro cad, where the UI is correctly designed

Anonymous No. 996587

>>992830
It has straight out best GUI in the 3d software market
Maya and 3DS look like they're stuck in fucking 2005

Image not available

1024x768

garbage.png

Anonymous No. 996679

>>992830
When I first started using Blender it looked like this. You have no idea how good it is now.

Anonymous No. 996687

>>996679
>those jeweled buttons
take me back

Image not available

533x520

Screenshot 2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 996733

>>992830
Holy can't believe 3dkeks are still struggling in 2024! Why haven't you tried pic related yet anon?

Anonymous No. 996741

>>996587
It's just a copy of both maya and max though, and the UI is actually kind of lacking so they cope by making the workflow be "shortcut based".

Image not available

1024x766

1670213521131631.jpg

Anonymous No. 996843

>>992830
it depends on what you mean
until the 2.8 redesign, blender was designed with experts in mind
it was unintuitive because it wasn't meant to be intuited. you were supposed to sit down with the documentation and tutorials and learn the fucking thing

then they listened to the feedback of idiots who never bothered to learn it

but I don't think they made it more intuitive. they certainly tried to make it more discoverable, but they made so many tiny cuts here and there that I don't understand what the current ideal usage of the interface is anymore. maybe that's the point? blender has become a hub for a lot of CG activities and they just want it to be superficially easy to understand where everything is?

I have no idea how someone is picking up blender and modelling stuff in 2024 with the default interface
I have to reconfigure it to hell and back to get it to behave 99% correctly every time I do a clean installation

Anonymous No. 996915

>>996679
yup, I remember the old blender it was so fucking bad that's why everyone in industry laughed at them, but with time each version got a little bit better and now I think its quite easy to use and very powerful with geometry nodes doing all sorts of crazy shit automatically. The good thing is there are so many tutorials now you can easily just check youtube for "how to do x in blender" and bam easy 5-15min video.

Anonymous No. 996916

>>996915
They still laugh at Blender in the industry and the reason studios use it sometimes is to recycle assets made in Maya and dodge some license fees. Other than that, Blender 2.80 and above is straight unusable.

Anonymous No. 997038

Imagine getting filtered by fucking Blender lmao. You don't even need to be particularly smart to get it. What a board of brainlets.

Anonymous No. 997043

>>992847
you're pretty stupid tbf.

Anonymous No. 997077

>>992830
it's not unintuitive, you just suck

blender's UI mogs 3ds max, maya and unreal. They're all clunky as fuck. Blender is organized around easily and completely customizing your workspace and using your left hand for hotkeys. You should only ever use menus once, to learn a hotkey, then just use the hotkey.

Anonymous No. 997083

>>997038
Imagine getting filtered off employment because you use Blender.
>>997077
Yeah. Learn Hotkeys like in they used to do in the 70s.

Anonymous No. 997089

>>997083
Well, at least with people in the 70s, if they used a computer, they KNEW how to use a computer.
People these days are fucking retarded when it comes to them, despite using and being exposed to them their entire lives.

Anonymous No. 997109

Blender is pure garbage as far as performance, I can't believe people think this laggy shit is acceptable in 2024. I have a ryzen 5800x and it takes 2+ seconds of lag to pose a bone or undo on a scene with only a single 2024 AAA character model

Anonymous No. 997120

>>996916

>Industry that appeases the western woke.

Dude I just want to make anime coom models I can rig and animate from scratch. The use of industry software is incredibly overkill for said purpose. Now unless you want a 3rd world job making the next AAA gacha game the company would care more about how well you can convince gaymers to jack off to their models rather than your ability to use industry software.

Anonymous No. 997122

>>997109
The internal renderer from 2.79 running on CPU only is sometimes faster than EEVEE with a modern video card.
Try it for yourself if you don't believe me. And of course the internal renderer is a full raytracer, as opposed to EEVEE which is a low quality scanline renderer.
It's ridiculous.

Anonymous No. 997124

>>997120
>I just want to make anime coom models
You don't just casually make anime coom models. Unless you're happy with pure garbage that looks worse than 2D drawings, it's a major task.

Anonymous No. 997130

>>997109
That's not normal performance. Are you using 4.2? The newest blender? That one filtered like half of all their users, because it's incompatibly with like half of all hardware now. Try 4.1. That's before the major update.

Anonymous No. 997132

>>997130
Blender 4.0+ (all versions past 4.0 stable) crashes at startup on my computer. And besides crashing it's unusable for me because I don't have time to obsess over the many types of chinese plastic materials it offers.
I also need real shadows and real ambient occusion. EEVEE only has projected shadows and screen-space ambient occlusion, both of which are utter garbage and exquisitely useless for architecture. The stuff that Cycles makes I don't even know what to call it.

Anonymous No. 997185

>>997132
You will stay on 4.0 chud. Go to the blender discord and ask for help.

Anonymous No. 997187

>>997130
Yeah I'm using 4.2
Dammit I have to get 4.1? I already have like 4 other versions installed. I can't believe they would introduce something that causes general tremendous lag like this

Anonymous No. 997212

>>997132
>The stuff that Cycles makes I don't even know what to call it.
Cycles looks pixelated in the viewport, but renders cleanly. They do this to make if faster while you're working. If you have cycles set up properly, then it should come out crisp when rendered.

>>997187
It's just a guess. I don't know. Does 4.1 work better for you?

Anonymous No. 997231

>>997109
>I have a ryzen 5800x and it takes 2+ seconds of lag to pose a bone or undo on a scene with only a single 2024 AAA character model
What's a triple A character in current year? Because I'm moving a 140k tris model with a rigify rig smoothly on my laptop, and I can't imagine game character models being heavier
Back when I was young game models were 10k tris or less...

Anonymous No. 997394

>>997109
I have a 5950X and a 7900XTX. Use GPU rendering it's way faster, also you have to enable it it defaults to CPU

Anonymous No. 997396

>>992971
it's a preview because if it actually rendered it at full quality it would kill your gpu, you can use cycles with the denoise option on in the viewport. The grain will disappear and instead you'll get a smeared preview that will quickly resolve into a higher quality preview. It's fast enough for real time editing on my (expensive) gpu. I'll stop spoonfeeding you now, Blender can do everything and is intuitive but you don't want to learn you just want to be mad, go back to paying $10k for autodesk garbage if that's how you feel

Anonymous No. 997398

>>997396
Commercial products like maya, houdini, nuke, and expensive gpus and cpus and monitors are necessary

Anonymous No. 997400

>n-no, you have to pay $2k per month for muh industry standard software because... you just have to, okay???
I'm good, thanks

Anonymous No. 997402

>>997400
>spend $2k/mo
>make $10k/mo

Anonymous No. 997406

>>997402
lol)

Anonymous No. 997418

>>997396
Are you fucking retarded anon?
No, really. Are you?

I'm talking about the actual material preview that used eevee (no matter which final renderer you were using), and ran in real time to preview animated textures, and your animation in general. It was clean and noise free. NOW it's a grainy mess and even turning off raytracing still makes it look like shit.
NOT the rendered mode viewport.

For the record, I have a 4070ti. Also fast enough for real time editing in the cycles viewport.

Anonymous No. 997419

>>997418
What are you trying to render in eevee, anon

Anonymous No. 997436

>>997418
I'm not retarded but if you're going to be rude I'm not going to tell you how to fix it. Have fun seething instead.

>>997419
Don't help him.

Anonymous No. 997469

>>992830
>>997436
You don't know how to help him, stop larping.

>>997418
Post a screenshot so we can see what you mean

Anonymous No. 997471

>>992830
Maybe you should stick to your AI prompts.

Image not available

34x37

001.jpg

Anonymous No. 997578

>>997419
I'm not rendering in Eevee. For the last time. Rendering in cycles.
Using the material preview button (pic related), shows the viewport in Eevee. That's how Blender has worked since 2.8.
Now that they've gone full into Eevee next, the entire scene looks like a dithered mess when previewing a full scene.

>>997436
>I'm not retarded but if you're going to be rude I'm not going to tell you how to fix it. Have fun seething instead.
Turning off raytracing doesn't fix the issue. It's inherent to how Next functions. There's no "fixing" it. It's dogshit.
It's been a month now. I'm over it.

My reaction was balking at your complete refusal at reading comprehension. Nowhere in my original post do I mention using anything to render. In fact, I even go out of my way to say
>I'm not using Eevee to render, just to preview things in Cycles
But somehow you go onto a tangent about how the viewport version of cycles is lower quality to make it run fast (no shit). And then act like you're doing me a favor
>I'll stop spoonfeeding you now, Blender can do everything
Understand the problem before trying to give "answers" and acting like a smug cunt.

Anonymous No. 997639

It makes me really mad that the blender devs won't remove the 63 character name limit. Like people have been asking to remove this arbitrary shit and providing PRs where it's fixed for literally 15 years and the faggot developers keep saying and I quote "I don't think increasing the size of 'bNode' by 192 bytes is worth it here. For longer descriptions, a frame can already contain a text data-block." and close the conversation, as if out of spite for constantly being asked.

What about every other 3D software that doesn't carry blender text node metadata? Like some other software rips a model and stores critical information in the name because there's no such thing as a text node in a FBX file, then blender cuts the name off and removes that data for [reasons]???? It's so incredibly fucking retarded, it's like an intentional bug. Then they have no problem changing 1 million other things in the UI every version so that old tutorials are useless, and changing the API so much that every old script has to be painstakingly updated to the new namespaces or whatever that were only changed to look more neat in code

Anonymous No. 997658

>>997639
>remove the 63 character name limit
That's never going to happen. The reason is that a fixed length (64 bytes) name file field is embedded in several of structures.
To remove the length limitation you would have to replace that with a pointer to some external text data block which would need to be allocated separately and reference counted.
It's a breaking change for the binary format and furthermore, because Blender is mostly written in plain C (and will always remain OpenGL-based and mostly written in C even if they're changing the files .cpp it doesn't matter), a million other functions access that field directly by pointer rather than by some method.
Also, it's not technically correct so say that names are limited to 63 characters. They're limited to 63 bytes, which means with UTF-8 encoding if you're using letters outside of the ASCII table, it's half or even less than that.
And it's not going to change and you're going to have to deal with it.

Anonymous No. 997671

>>997639
Wait... Now that I think about it, it's not 63 bytes for names it's actually 61 because the first two bytes encode the type of the datablock.
Like, for Object all name strings start with "OB", for meshes it's "ME"... The UI hides the first two bytes of the name fields.

Anonymous No. 997690

>>997658
but people have been building forks of Blender for years without the 63 chara limit and submitting pull requests for this to be put into the main branch, but they are rejected based on the developer's stupid design philosophy. There is no actual technical reason it can't happen, nothing is "fixed" when you have access to the source code

Anonymous No. 997691

>>997690
>people have been building forks of Blender for years without the 63 char limit
Not to my knowledge.
>nothing is "fixed" when you have access to the source code
The "name" field in data block the way it is, it's more or less set in stone.

Image not available

440x323

emoji.jpg

Anonymous No. 997693

>>997690
But look, on the plus side you can put emojis in the "name" field. On the minus side, the limits is not actually 63 or 61. You're only guaranteed to be able to fit 13 glyphs into it.

Anonymous No. 997718

>>997639
>>997658
>>997671
I know nothing about blender, but the obvious solution is to l,eave the name field where it is, and use some sort of extension block for the real name field, at least if it exceeds the old character limit.
There, a simple and compatible idea to fix this thing, which I thought up in 10 seconds.

Anonymous No. 997719

>>997718
but that only works in blender when you make the mesh in blender. There are importers that will convert a mesh from a game format to say FBX format where crucial information about materials and such are stored in the name, and blender discards this information if over 63 characters

Anonymous No. 997723

>>997718
>which I thought up in 10 seconds
It's essentially what they did to extend the old DOS 8.3 file names for Windows 95.
It's a lot of work to implement and it's never going to happen.
>>997719
It's not 63 characters. It's 64 bytes minus:
2 bytes type identifier
4 bytes duplicate identifier (.001)
2 bytes symmetrize identifier (.L/.R)
1 byte C string terminator
And then divided by 4 because it's UTF-8 encoded. It guarantees space for 13 characters.

Anonymous No. 997725

>>997723
>It's essentially what they did to extend the old DOS 8.3 file names for Windows 95.
Nope, the Microsoft hack is much more retarded and complex.
Fixing Blender is basically just a UI code change.

Anonymous No. 997727

>>997719
Make and ad-hoc modification to the FBX importer and make it so it can detect that extra info in the object names, remove it from the name and put it somewhere else on the fly. >>997725
If you want to try, then get:
https://download.blender.org/source/ (whichever version you prefer)
https://code.visualstudio.com/
Then make a new project in VSCode, unpack the source archive in there.
Look for the string "char name[64];" That'll lead to a folder called "source/blender/makesdna/". Now. For each occurrence of that declaration you've found, right click on it and find usages.
All added up it's going to be the extent of your "basically just a UI code change".

Anonymous No. 997755

>>997727
>Make and ad-hoc modification to the FBX importer
So I guess this should be implemented in a different way for the name format from each tool that rips to FBX. And people would have to download a weird forked version of io_scene_fbx. OR maybe blender could just remove this completely arbitrary limit that was only ever put in to make it look "clean" or w/e

>For each occurrence of that declaration you've found, right click on it and find usages.
NTA but why would the usages matter? Why can't you just change the name[64] to name[256] like any other program? The usages are references to the variable, and the variable should only be declared once if it's not spaghetti code shit.
Either way its certainly not impossible and its something people have been asking for over and over for like 15 years. The devs regularly spend 100x more effort adding or changing features nobody asked for for free than they would spend fixing this shit

Anonymous No. 997756

>>997727
>>997755
or if you mean name[64] is a field of a bunch of different classes you can still just do text Find and Replace

Anonymous No. 997761

>>997755
It would be a patch for the FBX import script that would parse the objects names and split them into the custom data block. They're never going to accept it mainstream, but there's not much you can do about that.
>>997756
You could do that but it's still going to be a fixed length string. To remove the limitation you would have to add a layer of indirection, which would mean to change every single usage of that field.

Anonymous No. 997762

>>997755
Also, if Blender was written today, then probably the .blend file format would have been JSON or XML based. However it's not. The .blend file format is derived from the struct definitions themselves. During the build process, there's an utility that reads the struct definitions in the DNA folder and writes down the load/save code for the .blend format.
The complete explanation is way too long, but consider that although there is some flexibility, every time you change something in those structs, the .blend file format also changes.
You may even become unable to read .blend files that you've saved before the change.

Anonymous No. 997769

>>992830
Former mayafag here. I thought the 3d cursor was annoying but then I realized how powerful it is.

>Select Mesh, go to edit mode
>Snap cursor to selection
>Go back object mode, select bone pivot
>Snap selection to cursor
>Perfect bone placement
>Snap cursor to vertex
>Recalculate roll based on cursor position
>Perfect finger rotation on local Z-axis

Anonymous No. 997776

>>997658
This would have never happened if Blender was written in Rust.

Anonymous No. 997786

>>997769
The 3D Cursor is a clipboard for coordinates. There was never any reason to show it at all. Instead, the Blender developers worked their magic and made an useful feature hated by the users because the fucking thing is always in the way.
>>997776
If they attempted to write Blender in Rust, Blender itself would have never happened.

Anonymous No. 997790

Jesus, the filename autism, am I right? At least try to complain about real issues.

Anonymous No. 997822

>>996679
Damn I remember back then each time you started it you had to pull that hidden upper menu and change the navigation camera orbit type

Image not available

854x286

file.png

Anonymous No. 997912

Why the FUCK do they change how everything works every other version so that every old tutorial is now useless? I am trying to find how to save/load poses and every single video says how to do it with the pose library, but Blender says "Pose Library has moved, use the asset shelf"

Anonymous No. 997913

>>997912
nevermind I figured it out, but my point still stands

Image not available

479x417

1632246869179.jpg

Anonymous No. 997916

>>997769
>leaving maya for blender

Anonymous No. 998056

>>996843
I think they made it better, my favorite feature is spacebar type in name of what I want. You can be productive immediately with this feature while you slowly learn the keyboard shortcuts to bypass having to search like this. It's ingenious and one of the best UIs I've ever used.

Anonymous No. 998549

It's not that bad

Anonymous No. 998820

>>997913
Post solution, so that other people looking for information on the asset shelf can find it.

Anonymous No. 998834

It's a straight-up ripoff of LightWave, is the reason.

Anonymous No. 998855

>>992830
Because it was made by multiple people with no clear vision.
I still like it

Anonymous No. 999389

>>992875
Yeah, I was given an introduction to Maya after learning 3D with Blender and could enver get used to it, If anything it baffled me people were able to work with Maya due to how much the UI didn't jive with me.
I bet I'd be thinking the oposite if I wasn't teached on blender first

Anonymous No. 999390

>>993401
I tried learning geo nodes and I could swear some decisions were made in order to make my life hearder

Anonymous No. 999407

>>999390
Yeah, I mean I'll agree with that. Learning this shit feels like starting from 0 all over again.
That being said, I won't lie that it is fucking useful. I barely know anything complicated but it's been a big help for anything you need to repeat, or anything that needs like 50 modifiers to pull off.

I figured I'd never actually learn it if I just followed tutorials, so I kind of just went out of my way and forced myself to use GN wherever I'd normally use a modifier (to a degree). I won't pretend like I've done anything more than scratch the surface (more like one of those scratches where it leaves a mark that you can rub off really easily because it didn't actually physically scratch it), and the most I can do is fuck around with instances in a bunch of different ways, but for 90% of the normal shit you'd do with GN that's not too bad.
There's a point you reach where it still doesn't actually make sense, but you have a general idea of what tools/pieces you need to do something, and the hard part is figuring out what order/combo you need to assemble those pieces to do what you want. That's around where I'm at right now. I don't know what I'm doing or why it works, but I have just enough experience to throw shit at the wall and have some of it stick.

To be honest, I don't think I'll ever reach a point where I have a solid grasp on it. Like I probably will reach a point similar to where I am now where I know roughly what to do, and have a wider understanding of more tools, but not the why or math behind it. I'm just not wired that way. At least not how I am with 3d where I can look at something and know exactly what I need to do to pull it off.

But yeah, long post shortened. It's okay to not understand everything.