Image not available

1024x576

cad.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 993073

CAD thread? CAD thread.

Anonymous No. 993097

>>993073
which CAD software should I invest my time in?

Anonymous No. 993102

>>993073
Plasccity trial expired can't use it anymore, I feel sad

Anonymous No. 993112

I actually did some stuff in FreeCAD with zero CAD knowledge. I hit a lot of bugs but it did work.

Anonymous No. 993237

>>993112
How could you be so sure they were bugs if you entirely lacked any prior knowledge?

Anonymous No. 993252

>>993073
For me, it's Autodesk Inventor with 30% extra session crashing.

Anonymous No. 993281

>>993237
>shit crashes
>shit explodes (constraint solver finding a solution that's not a solution)

Anonymous No. 993287

>>993073
Tried 123design it's shit

>>993102
Once you trial it that's it, developers made s tier security and it's uncrackable

Image not available

997x748

1724857736274989.jpg

Anonymous No. 993587

Freecad is a weird combination of totally usable and frustratingly limiting. I am able to design most of what I need (fairly simple stuff though) but as soon as I try to do something in an order it doesn't like, the whole thing crashes. Will be nice in 5-10 years I think.

Anonymous No. 993705

>solidworks simulation
>solution goes to 80% in 10 minutes
>sits there for the next 5 hours going back and forth between 3 and 17 gigs of ram
>"Study failed"
Every problem involving contact interactions has been a pain so far. I'm not even mad anymore.

Image not available

1280x720

autocat.jpg

Anonymous No. 993706

cadurday edition

Anonymous No. 993745

>>993073
>>993287
nothing is uncrackable, he just paid crackers not to crack it

Image not available

1024x768

combi filleted-Te....png

Anonymous No. 993782

As an outsider I HATE 3d software.
Why do I need to install some arcane software whos GUI is build by fucking brain damaged people to do one fucking thing?
In this case engraved text on a curved surface.

Why can't these fuckwits make even importing models intuitive?
I made this in autocad btw and want text on the curved recess.
I'm attempting to use inventor but this shit is maddening.

Anonymous No. 993783

>>993097
fucking none. learn a trade instead because shit is built by fucking twisted retards.
Autocad is ok

Anonymous No. 993784

>want to insert a file into current document?
Hit OPEN. WTF fucking zoomer devs you total Cumbrians
>imported asset
>puts it in an asset tab with no visible way of importing into main workspace
I will murder on sight any 3D software dev I meet
Meltie over for now

Image not available

1024x768

combi filleted-Te....png

Anonymous No. 993792

I hate the antichrist

Anonymous No. 994033

>>993587
I've managed to make a few things with freecad with it being the only cad software I've used. But it seema like I can never continue working on a saved project once it has been closed and reopened, nothing ever works again. I have to treat it like an 8bit videogame and complete it in one sitting.

It is incredibly satisfying when you actually get that cumbersome hunk of shit to make something slick though.

Anonymous No. 994081

I feel bad for people who don't use Catia

Anonymous No. 994379

>>993097
for me rhino, expensive as hell but easy to get around if you willing to renew the 3 month demo version with a different email each time lmao

Anonymous No. 994424

>>993287
>>993745
I can crack it if you pay me.

Anonymous No. 994663

>>994424
how much do you want?

Anonymous No. 994667

>>993705
I deal with SW Simulation as a job, and I hate it with a passion, I tried asking management to get an Ansys license to no avail because it costs too much and there's not enough demand.
Going back to SW Simulation, first off the progress bars mean nothing, seriously, they barely qualify as vague suggestions. Secondly if your simulation runs for 5 hours and then fails you've got a stupid fine mesh while the analysis isn't properly modeled. Try with a VERY coarse mesh first, see if it runs, see if the results make sense; then, when you know it runs, use a finer mesh or, better, add mesh controls on the surfaces and edges you want to see in more detail.
If it fails, well I got a whole spreadsheet of errors and failures, full of possible causes and possible solutions, so I can't help you there without more informations.
To be clear, solve time doesn't mean the simulation is fucked, I had simulation run for 25 hours (it was an entire electric motor for an e-bike) and produce good results, but it all comes down to what you're analyzing and how you set up the simulation.

Anonymous No. 994671

I'm going to use Blender to do CAD work again because learning another software is a pain

Anonymous No. 994759

>>993792
Texturing with a displacement map would be way easier. You don't really see this type of process in real life machining because it's extremely complicated to perform.

Anonymous No. 994822

>>994663
Not sure, it's an electron app LMAO.

Anonymous No. 994890

>>994671
I need to do this to because converting files between programs is making me ultra-violent.
How hard is it to align objects? This is the most basic function I need speaking as the autoCAD psycho above.
It’s so unintuitive but I just want to zero in any shape I make and move by integer on an axis. That’s it.

Anonymous No. 995022

Now every time I add a bolt connector in sw simulation the document units switch to meters. What the actual fuck. Every default I'm aware of is set to mm.

>>994667
In my experience coarse mesh fails the study more often than not, or at least yields questionable results. Fine mesh not so much aside from when solution takes so much time that I get tired of waiting and cancel it myself.
In that particular case the issue was probably parts slipping against each other under load (it was actually the point of study to see if they will), but instead of prompting about large displacement like usual, the solver decided to bug out for some reason.

Anonymous No. 995037

>>995022
>every time I add a bolt connector in sw simulation the document units switch to meters
That's a new one.
>coarse mesh fails the study more often than not
Not to backpedal, but I meant "coarse" in a relative way, which is always dependant on the problem at hand. In any way, a failure after 5 hours is usually a symptom of bad modeling and mesh issues. Ideally you want that failure to happen much faster so you can troubleshoot your mesh (check for high aspect ratio elements, negative jacobian, shit base geometries, etc) more efficiently.
>parts slipping
Conctact analysis is a bitch in SW, getting it to behave requires esoteric knowledge not even Dassault has. Be mindful about the sleazy trick SW plays on us every time you mess with the model and then go back to the simulation: it may automatically switch the contact between faces you had previously defined to a self-contact, which usually doesn't work when you have two different bodies. I have wasted DAYS of machine time on this shit, fucking hell. Also, if you're studying slipping I assume you set a proper friction coefficient, but keep in mind SW doesn't like very high coefficients, and on the other side of the spectrum it won't go below 0,05.

Also, what's your usual node count? My workstation at the office is a somewhat recent Xeon with 128GB of ECC memory and a proper nvme drive, and I try staying below 3~4 million nodes at most (an analysis like that takes from 10 to 25 hours), and below 1 million if I can help it, with running times in the order of 4~8 hours; less than 500 thousand if I want something to shit out results within the day; if the problem allows it, I can use less than 200 thousand nodes if I want it to finish in a matter of minutes.

Image not available

631x534

jsc file header.png

Anonymous No. 995164

>>994663
$120, the code is compiled using bytenode, it's hard to decompile and the file seems to have an extra layer of obfuscation on the top.

Anonymous No. 995379

>>995037
>a symptom of bad modeling and mesh issues
For one, that model had lots of unnecessary details that now that I think about it could be simplified or cut out altogether.

>it may automatically switch the contact between faces you had previously defined to a self-contact
Ah so that's what it was. I had a really cursed study a while ago where either some contacts would fall through each other for no obvious reason, or the study would fail due to "numerical difficulties". That's what probably was happening. Good to know.

>keep in mind SW doesn't like very high coefficients
The real coefficient would be at least 0.3, and the max 0.2 sw takes without complaints should've been just barely enough in theory (under the assumption of uniform contact pressure - which it isn't, hence the study) so the idea was that if 0.2 will work then the real thing will work even better.

>Also, what's your usual node count?
I don't really pay attention to that. I usually just tune mesh size by feel depending on how much time I'm willing to spend on it. Solution time can vary wildly depending on number of contacts and how well the model behaves after all. The study right now with 750k nodes, with every contact that have to watch out enabled just finished in 4.5 hours. With only essential contacts that move by design it takes 1h 40 min. With everything bonded it finishes in under 7 minutes. I'm running it on i5-12400, in a VM with 24 Gb of ram.
When I'm just fiddling with stuff I usually try to keep the solution time under half an hour, and only run longer studies when I want to verify the final design that I'm reasonably sure I won't have to fix and run again.

Anonymous No. 995548

any fusion chads here? also i write websites in php and use an iphone. feels good to get paid and watch you nerds squeal over tools lmao

Anonymous No. 995885

>>993705
>>994667
Have you tried Catia V5? I have an old R20 somewhere.
The V5 is the standard for Airbus and our aviation business overall.
SW is honorable but it's not as powerful.

Anonymous No. 995886

>>995164
How do i contact you?

Anonymous No. 995892

>>995885
>>994667 here. I work in a studio, we have all the softwares so whatever our client has, we can work with it too. I've seen CATIA, but never used it. UI is shit, and that's pretty much all I can say about it. As for the "powerful", I think it all comes down to handling large assemblies with millions of components and integration with a robust PDM that might set it apart from everything else. As for actually modeling in it, I don't know, but one of the good thing about SW is that being so widespread there's always something online that will help you learn or solve a situation, while the same can't be said about CATIA. In the end all CAD work pretty much the same (more or less). Just today I was reading SW2025 highlights and my impression is that DS is doing basically the absolute bare minimum to keep all these softwares afloat, because SW works like absolute ass, but the features and fixes are so few and far in between to be laughable. Also, unless you work in some massive corporation that does massive projects it's infinitely more likely for you to encounter SW than CATIA.

Anonymous No. 996227

>>995886
What os?

Anonymous No. 996273

Plasticity user here. How can I start learning to make AAA quality firearms? I know modeling in general fairly well but guns have been quite difficult for me in CAD software. Any good pirated courses? What guns should I create as a beginner?

Image not available

659x609

so_good.png

Anonymous No. 998446

Is there a CAD package that
>is cheapish (max $500/yr, inb4 pirate)
>has parameters that integrate with Google Sheets/Excel
>has text parameters that can be imported to a model/2d geometry
>has g-code export (not a need, but a nice to have)

I want to do a little sign business out of my garage. Ideally I would have products that are customizable without having to go in and change the model with each iteration.

I want to be able to put Basic Girl's(tm) last name/family motto/marriage date w/e into a spreadsheet and have a router table shit out

"(Basic Girl Name) and (Basic Guy Name) married (year) at (stupid town they live in)"

or w/e.

I use Inventor at work, string parameters are abhorrent. I have to do a work around to import text parameters from excel. It's also more than I need for mostly 2d signs.

Anonymous No. 998587

Let's talk CAD!

Anonymous No. 998614

for me, it's IronCAD. The tri-ball is GOAT

Anonymous No. 998615

>>998446
alibre, probably.

Anonymous No. 998636

>>998615
>>998446

Just mucked around with it a bit - they don't do the integration I need.

Currently I have to use an iPart in inventor, and then edit the iPart table in Excel since you cannot populate the regular parameter table with strings from Excel.

I am sure this functionality exists somewhere - how many part configs have different things engraved in them? Surely they don't expect engineers to manually change the engraving for each different part iteration.
wan00

Anonymous No. 998688

>>994890
>How hard is it to align objects?
It's possible, the features are there, but it's very tedious to do in default Blender without addons

Anonymous No. 998694

>>998636
yeah I think you have to script it in python
https://www.alibre.com/3d-cad-scripting/

Anonymous No. 998781

>>998446
Inkscape is easy enough to script. The gcodetools plugin might suitable.