Image not available

651x796

1724356296453862.png

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 995732

Can I learn 3D animation despite not knowing how to draw?

Anonymous No. 995734

>>995732
Yeah, animation is a sufficiently silo'ed off skill from drawing but it's not ideal. Drawing is about capturing the shape static and have a good eye
for the distance and read of the silhouette of shapes and such and this is echoed in the skill that goes into creating compelling poses
but the circles are not as top of one another to make it possible to do one without the other.

Dynamic drawing as well as animation requires a solid understanding of kinematics and physics and having a sense of what it'd feel like
to be the characters place to fine-tune and find natural positions, you need to be an actor to be a good puppeteer and that skills has a lot of overlap
with becoming a good animator. You also need to develop a visual temporal sense that is hard to get from anywhere outside animation.
You certainly won't get that skill from being good at drawing static images.

So animation has a lot of overlap with tangential skills but is a skill that can be approached and developed standalone.
And there are aspects to animation that you only can get from animation and will suck at badly starting out no matter how skilled you are in other areas.

Anonymous No. 995737

>>995732
You won’t even know what to do, the model you posted is Billy from ZZZ. He uses two guns, he moves a lot and has special effects applied. You won’t be assigned to this character or anyone important if you can’t equip and unequip the gun.

Anonymous No. 995739

Yes

Anonymous No. 995781

>>995732
Can you write a novel without knowing how to read?

Anonymous No. 995786

>>995734
Yes. Listen to this guy. It's always much more efficient to just animate, if you want to learn to animate. Having prior drawing skills is obviously useful and will help you get up to speed faster, but learning it separately for the sake of animation, is a waste of time, when you could be gaining more actual animation experience instead. Learning to animate well takes a ton of repetition and time after all. Anyone who claims otherwise, is talking out of their ass.

Anonymous No. 995802

>>995732
A lot of people do well at 3D animation without knowing how to draw, and may barely even know how to model either. Many people in the past got into things like claymation without knowing how to draw.
The important part of animating is to have a good feeling for weight and movement, which you can learn through observation, and knowing how to draw can help you with that. If you're wanting to avoid drawing because you think you don't have the talent for it, I would recommend trying it anyways because you may be better at it than you think.

Anonymous No. 995815

>>995781
Yes. Be a really good oral story teller and do speech2text or have someone else write down what you're saying.

If you wanna be anal and point out how this is 'authoring' not 'writing' you are still wrong because one can just be one of them
'infinity vs monkey with type writer' type dudes and nail dat shit on your 1st try with a bit of luck.

Anonymous No. 995820

>>995732
yeah one can learn to fly a plane without knowing how ride a bike. But you can probably do neither.

Anonymous No. 995821

>>995734
what if im 30 years old

Anonymous No. 995824

>>995821
I had a colleague, who was in his late 30s when he started. He went through animation mentor, and was better than most other animators at the studio in just a couple years, even some of the seniors. If you're motivated enough, age doesn't matter. It's never too late to start. Of course it's going to be harder to land a job the older you are, but that doesn't matter if you're a freelancer, or just work for yourself doing whatever.

Anonymous No. 995826

>>995824
The deadline is in 3 days. Are you just shilling

Anonymous No. 995827

>>995826
Deadline? What are you talking about? Anyway no, I'm not shilling. I haven't gone through animation mentor myself, but the ones I know who had, were usually the some of the best in the team where I worked at. Well with one exception maybe, even a good class won't make you a good animator after all, if you're not motivated and don't put in the effort.

Anonymous No. 995829

>>995827
Anon I don’t think you understand animation enough to tell how the company you work with has only applied older people in their team. Let me explain what you are expecting to achieve.

1) The ability to animate
2) Know exactly how things work
3) Team collaboration
4) Fix any errors if identified
5) Rendering
6) Written reports
7) review by main leaders
8) MEL/Python knowledge (some acceptable)
9) node code
10) not talking about pay

A young person who just entered the animation market is rare. Often times they can’t do 7/10 requests.

Anonymous No. 995831

>>995829
I'm not sure what or who you're replying to?
But for your list:

1: Obviously.
2. It's enough to know how to animate withing the given software and to use any tools related to it, rest is a plus of course, but depends on the size of the studio. The smaller it is, the more generalist work you're of course expected to do.
3. & 7. Obviously needed, they are a part of the same.
4. There will be separate people to help with these, if it's a 10+ company. Knowing how to troubleshoot yourself is obviously a plus, but if you can animate better than your peers, this won't be a deciding factor in getting hired at a larger company.
5. Only if the studio is very small, and you're a generalist. Animator's almost never have any interactions with the rendering pipeline.
6. Never seen this required anywhere
8. & 9. Almost never expected of an animator, this is what TDs are for. Still a useful skill to have of course, so you can do simple scripts, but chances are you won't need to, as most studios will have good custom tools.
10. Depends on country, and studio culture/atmosphere.

Anonymous No. 995833

>>995831
>Doesn't know
I can tell you right now, everyone writes reports. That’s the simplest way to track progress. You need to program certain tasks that become repetitive. Rendering is part of the job at very least knowing lighting and stages to send basic information to leaders for evaluation.

There is no such thing as animation only, you are expected to multitask outside your workplace.

Anonymous No. 995834

>>995833
This is true only for smaller companies. If you're at even a slightly larger studio, everyone specializes in a narrow field. The larger they are, the more narrow it becomes. And maybe people write reports where you work at, but I can guarantee, that I've never seen a single animator write any sort of report ever. Granted, I've only worked at 3 different studios, and 2 of them were 90% remote work.

Anonymous No. 995838

>>995833
Bro you don't need to write reports if there's a google doc or some other form of editable spreadsheet/task tracking platform.

Were you born in a cave?

Anonymous No. 995854

>>995838
You will use Microsoft and you will hate it.

Anonymous No. 995858

>>995834
>>995838
You two never had to get reviewed or changed something during testing? That’s kinda what happens when dealing with art projects that need attention to the details of the creator. You also need to have something to set a theme because I can’t just assume we are doing watercolor painting in a death metal style. These reports are the things that matter to the upper boss who pay us, so kinda off that you two know exactly how to do things without reports.

Anonymous No. 995862

>>995858
Why would you need to write a report for that? How it worked for us for episodes of a certain TV series:

1. Briefing with Director (or client) and Animation Director
2. Do scene layouts based on the briefing, with some important poses maybe here and there, and most camera cuts/animations done
3. Mark scenes ready for commenting in the system when done, do revisions based on animation director's comments
4. Once the episode's layouts are ready, a new meeting with director
5. Proceed with fleshing out animations based on what was talked about in the meeting
6. repeat step 3
7. One last meeting with director
8. Finalize animations
9. There usually wasn't a separate meeting at this point, but some times the director/client would ask for minor changes to scenes with an e-mail or something similar.

Environments, episode specific rigs, modelling, lighting, rendering, etc. was mostly done by other people. Although animators some times would model their own simple objects to the scenes on the fly. Never did we need to write something I'd consider a written report. At most we'd just post some short comments to the system, if there was something we wanted the Animation director to be aware of, or if you needed to deviate from the original briefing in some way for any reason, or something similar.

Anonymous No. 995998

>>995732
I'm good at 3d animation and a little at modelling but am completely hopeless at 2d illustration. I don't doubt you could be.

Anonymous No. 996091

>>995858
I've worked in big and small companies and I've never seen anything other than at most a Trello board used for tracking, and at the quick and dirty using discord or google docs.

Honestly, the only way I could see anyone needing full reports or reviews each time you make something is if you're working with a company that's "restructured into a corporate synergy" or something. In which case I would likely be looking for another job or steering clear of them as they're going to be dying in the next few years.

Anonymous No. 996722

>>995821
It depends. I got into 3d late and I have no regrets because I'm at my most mentally mature and it's something that I'm confident that I want to keep doing. I feel like if I started earlier, I would've been filtered because of how motivationaly retarded I was back then.

Anonymous No. 998516

Sure you can!