Image not available

800x392

gif.gif

๐Ÿงต Vertex colors

Anonymous No. 998624

What would be the fastest way to bake lighting into vcolors these days? Was it done manually back then?

Anonymous No. 998625

>>998624
Use modern lighting

Anonymous No. 998629

by...baking the lighting...

Anonymous No. 998650

>>998624
Yes it was made manually, but since there is not many vertices it was more an artist process than a tedious one

Anonymous No. 998690

>>998624
Ahh, this looks like a really cool way to store lightning information, the only big downside is it basically requires vertices on on object geometry to be uniform grid. Maybe my skills with decimate and remesh are lacking, but for me it seems very hard to model everything like that. It's basically perfect topology but also uniform vertices on topology.

Image not available

800x392

gif.gif

Anonymous No. 998704

>>998625
For some reason I'm never able to get the lighting "right" for interiors, it feels like I'm fighting against my point lights. Probably a skill issue but on paper I feel like these vcolors would allow me to have more control on the mood I want to give to an interior.

>>998650
Yeah that wouldn't surprise me, I was assuming it was a mix of both (auto + artist behind) but pure artist work wouldn't surprise me either

>>998690
Yeah for sure, they also "cheat" by having shadow meshes. I really dig the atmosphere that it's able to convey though, see picrel. I might try it for fun, I guess it's just unlit + diffuse + vcolor blending

Anonymous No. 998705

https://youtu.be/xscKrPLpsr4?si=mCn_tLHPklfEXAC2&t=216

Anonymous No. 998709

>>998704
I'm sure that if someone were a master of lighting, they would be able to create whatever mood they wanted with whatever lighting system is available to them, but there's a reason most new games look pretty, but fail to capture the mood that older games have even though the artists in question are skilled. Even if you look at old paintings, the lighting isn't 100% physically accurate, which contributes to the dreamlike "surreal" atmosphere they have, even in non-surrealist works. Modern lighting tools give less control than painting does, whether it be traditional, or vertices in a mesh.

Anonymous No. 998788

>>998705
Based
>>998709
Completely agree anon

Anonymous No. 998793

>>998709
> Even if you look at old paintings, the lighting isn't 100% physically accurate, which contributes to the dreamlike "surreal" atmosphere they have, even in non-surrealist works. Modern lighting tools give less control than painting does, whether it be traditional, or vertices in a mesh.
In painting there are styles like realism which try to be as photographic as possible, and there are tons of styles that ignore realism on purpose and do whatever. When saying old paintings you sound like everybody tries to paint light realistically nowadays. That's not the case at all. Every minute a lot of purposefully non-photorelistically-lighted paintings are being drawn. I think photorealistic lighting in paintings is more of a niche actually. Modern AAA games often are generic and boring at all levels, including visuals, because they try to play safe and do the most generic boring PBR lighting stuff looking like everywhere else.

Image not available

3837x2160

12.png

Anonymous No. 998906

>>998624
the dev of Deep State made a good guide on it, hope this helps

https://imgur.com/a/vertex-color-basics-blender-to-unity-IBvI6HI

Anonymous No. 998914

>>998624
You need to turn off textures to properly paint vertex colors.

Anonymous No. 998915

>>998709
I think you're underestimating how much control you actually have in PBR

Anonymous No. 998961

>>998906
Awesome, thanks a lot anon.

Anonymous No. 999045

>>998915
If you go and remap color and brightness curves of shadows in shader depending on camera angle, and still use Principled BSDF at the end, does this still count as PBR?

Anonymous No. 999068

>>998624

What are you asking, OP? The fastest way?

Baking vertex colours on a low poly scene like that is gonna take less than a second.

Are you asking how to bake vertex colours in Blender? Fucking google it, it isn't hard.

Was it done manually back then? Probably. If you are aren't artistically retarded you'll get better results painting than baking, but the bake might be a good starting point to paint from.

When you're painting, switch between textured and untextured views regularly. It will give you a better sense of what is going on with the colours.

Image not available

5841x1920

collage.png

Anonymous No. 999376

>>998906
just tried this, worked nicely I think. just dropped some colored lights in and went for it
in the bake panel in cycles, in Output, set Target to Active Color Attribute otherwise it doesn't seem to work
also in Light Paths, Max Bounces, set the total to 1, diffuse to 1, the rest can be zero including direct and indirect light. keep filters glossy on 1, turn caustics reflective and refractive off (basically just copy the settings in the images in the imgur)