Image not available

9248x6936

20240419_182102-min.jpg

๐Ÿงต Why do the colors of the sky change under this rainbow?

Anonymous No. 16136098

So this afternoon (around 18:30) i took a picture of this amazing view of a complete rainbow (if you look well enough you can even see the moon between the first and the second one).

When i looked at the photo i noticed that the color of the sky changes a lot over and under the rainbow. I've never seen (or noticed?) something like this.
What is even stranger is the fact that the sun was setting on the opposite side of the sky, so you would expect the sky's colours to get gradually darker when approaching the horizon under the rainbow. But this picture depicts the opposite: they are brighter under the bow and darker over it

I'm quite new to 4chan, so i dont know where i should post this. I will put it for now in /sci and /an. Thanks for the attention.

Anonymous No. 16136116

>>16136098
the interior part of a rainbow is reflecting the sun so it always looks a little whiter than the surrounding sky. the actual rainbow part is chromatic aberration.

Anonymous No. 16136376

>>16136098
Rainbows are basically always seen with sun behind you since that's the way reflections work. The reason why the sky changes color is the same why the rainbow exists in the first place. Some light is being reflected off water or ice or something back at you The reflection is happening in a wide area, not just where the colors are visible which should be fairly intuitive, otherwise rainbows would immediately disappear when you exit their sweet spot.