Image not available

1395x725

my_flux_spectra_s....png

🧵 Going from a photon flux to a photon flux after a slit (partial photon flux)

Anonymous No. 16155097

Thanks to the help of an anon (who referred me to the Jackson textbook) and others a few weeks ago, I have managed to express the flux of a bending magnet like so:

[math]\frac{d_N}{\frac{d\omega}{\omega}} = \frac{I}{\hbar \omega_c^2} \omega \frac{9\sqrt{3}}{8 \pi} \int_{\frac{\omega}{\omega_c}}^{\infty} K_\frac{5}{3}(x)dx[\math]

this is expressed in the units of [math]photons/second/0.1\%bw[\math]

With a little python script, I can graph this as a function of the energy. To verify that the equation and code is correct I compare it with spectra (synchrotron sources software).
I end up with the same flux they do. All is good. I have normalised the fluxes.

See pic related.

When I select with Spectra the option partial flux which gives the user the option of adding a slit of a certain size at a certain distance from the source, I end up with a different flux (called partial photon flux).

First, I do not understand this.
I have both the angular divergence and the size of my beam at point 0(horizontal and vertical).
[math]beamsizeatD = 2*D*\tan \frac{\sigma'}{2}[\math] where D is the distance to the source and [math]\sigma'[\math] is the angular divergence (horizontal or vertical), I see that the beam should be smaller than the slit, therefore the slit shouldn't have an impact yet it does.

And even when I take into account the size of the beam [math]\sigma[\math] at point 0:
[math]\sigma + 2*D*\tan \frac{\sigma'}{2}[\math]
it's still smaller than the slit.

(cont)

Image not available

1393x722

exp_spectra_parti....png

Anonymous No. 16155098

I have experimental data. When I use partial flux with Spectra taking into account the slit (as is done in real life) the calculation is very close to experimental data.

See pic related.

How can I take the slit into account for my calculation with the equation above?
Also, if I use a Monte Carlo ray tracing software, should anything be done other than the placement of a slit to get the partial flux?

Last remark that show the slit is the reason for the change: when I use partial flux with Spectra and put a huge slit (as if there is none) then we go back to the flux of the above equation.

Anonymous No. 16155215

bump

Anonymous No. 16155221

you sure do seem to like talking about yourself on social media

Anonymous No. 16155226

reposting the OP because I just realised the latex is broken:

Thanks to the help of an anon (who referred me to the Jackson textbook) and others a few weeks ago, I have managed to express the flux of a bending magnet like so:

[math]\frac{d_N}{\frac{d\omega}{\omega}} = \frac{I}{\hbar \omega_c^2} \omega \frac{9\sqrt{3}}{8 \pi} \int_{\frac{\omega}{\omega_c}}^{\infty} K_\frac{5}{3}(x)dx[/math]

this is expressed in the units of [math]photons/second/0.1\%bw[/math]

With a little python script, I can graph this as a function of the energy. To verify that the equation and code is correct I compare it with spectra (synchrotron sources software).
I end up with the same flux they do. All is good. I have normalised the fluxes.

See pic related.

When I select with Spectra the option partial flux which gives the user the option of adding a slit of a certain size at a certain distance from the source, I end up with a different flux (called partial photon flux).

First, I do not understand this.
I have both the angular divergence and the size of my beam at point 0(horizontal and vertical).
[math]beamsizeatD = 2*D*\tan \frac{\sigma'}{2}[/math] where D is the distance to the source and [math]\sigma'[/math] is the angular divergence (horizontal or vertical), I see that the beam should be smaller than the slit, therefore the slit shouldn't have an impact yet it does.

And even when I take into account the size of the beam [math]\sigma[/math] at point 0:
[math]\sigma + 2*D*\tan \frac{\sigma'}{2}[/math]
it's still smaller than the slit.

Anonymous No. 16155232

>>16155097
SPECTRA initializes your beam with a Gaussian profile, so there’s about 1/3 of your current at [math]r>sigma [/math] that could be getting intercepted.
Also the angular divergence of the electron beam is going to be less than that of the emitted photons.

Anonymous No. 16155239

>>16155232
thank you for your help

The beam does have a gaussian profile irl also I think

>Also the angular divergence of the electron beam is going to be less than that of the emitted photons.

Could you explain in more detail please?

Anonymous No. 16155355

>>16155232
is emittance of the beam related to your second sentence?

Anonymous No. 16155409

>>16155239
https://cds.cern.ch/record/375972/files/p1.pdf 3.5, also in jackson before you integrate out the solid angle from [math] \frac{dI}{d\omega d\Omega} [/math]
You end up with some angular spread of the photon distribution with width of approximately [math]1/\gamma [/math] radians, which is generally much larger than the beam angle. There's also larger spread for lower photon frequency/energy so you'll have a higher relative intensity in the tail of the distribution compared to one without a slit.

Anonymous No. 16155519

So finally we know, that it's just measurement, and it's wave and it been wave all the time?

??