Image not available

950x887

file.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16157736

Hello anons, which examples do you think give the best ROI for your field?
I have a physics background and I've realized recently how shamefully shallow my understanding of other topics is.
My project is to learn to solve 3-5 examples in different fields using all the right notation and jargon.
The goal isn't to be an expert, just to learn what chem/math/etc 'feels' like, if that makes sense.
Either way, it seems like a good exercise to boil down everything you've learned.

Here are the problems for physics I've settled on, maybe there are better ones:
- Precession of Mercury (GR)
- Fine Structure of Hydrogen (QM)
There are other topics but they all rely on these two problems anyhow and might lean on toy models too much for any real intuition.

Thanks for the help.

Anonymous No. 16157746

>>16157736
are you looking for trouble?

Anonymous No. 16157754

>>16157746
No, he's an owl, he doesn't give a hoot.

Anonymous No. 16157878

>>16157736
I think the best way to approach it, at least from the physics perspective, is to identify a list of problems "types" that allow for significant permutation and increasing levels of complexity in both methods and assumptions.

Ex. Mechanics - Motion on an incline plane
>1) Find the normal force and acceleration for a block of mass, m, on a frictionless incline
>2) Repeat with friction
>3) Repeat with two blocks on either side of a frictionless incline connected by an inertia-less pulley
>4) Repeat with friction
>5) Repeat with two blocks on either side of a frictionless incline connected by a pulley with moment of inertia, I
>6) Repeat with friction
>7) Repeat all of the above with linear drag forces
>8) Repeat all of the above with quadratic drag forces
>9) Repeat all of the frictionless cases using the Lagrangian method
>10) Repeat all of the frictionless cases using the Hamiltonian method
>11) Repeat all of the cases above, including the rotational inertia tensors of the blocks when treated as rigid bodies
>11) Repeat all of the cases in an accelerating reference frame
>12) Repeat all of the cases in a rotating reference frame
If you can do all of the above, you understand classical mechanics.