Image not available

1240x640

IVFluids-urgent-c....jpg

๐Ÿงต IV fluid overuse

Anonymous No. 16158454

Okay sci, I've been to the hospital for the first time ever this year to have some stuff done, why do they love IV fluid so much?
I mean, they run 1 or 2 of these huge bags into you and the bags are always cold, in the vast majority of cases they could have just given me body armor or some other sports drink that would do the same, cost less, require less nurse time, and be more enjoyable.

Why do they literally always whip out the IV fluids? It's like they like to use them as much as they can, there's got to be a better way to handle hydration, right? Potentially, maybe even, a stomach and your intestines and some kind of drink that you drink instead of shooting into your veins?

Anonymous No. 16158463

good question

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 16158469

because IV is more expensive than a sports drink
Hospitals are a business first and care givers second. Given any list of options or choices, they'll always pick the more expensive so long as their actions "don't cause harm"

Anonymous No. 16158491

>>16158454
The water absorption process takes time since water must pass through the digestive system to reach each dehydrated cell. One of the main benefits of IV hydration is that the fluids are injected into the bloodstream and reach your body's cells more quickly.

Anonymous No. 16158505

People even do it recreationally
There are "IV bars" in my city

Anonymous No. 16158528

>>16158454
The moment they hook you up to an IV, that's like +$500 on your hospital bill. It's got insane markup; it's literally just salt water (saline).

Anonymous No. 16158536

>>16158454
You are a fucking idiot. Why have you learned nothing? Hope you are in the hospital for semiology and not in medicine because you sound like a stupid retard.

Remember homeostasis? Remember people need a circulating volume to pump blood everywhere so oxygen reaches every cell? Remember when theres not enough volume capillaries contract to increase pressure so SOME fluid reaches them at the very least? Well that mechanism ends up starving cells from oxygen, so to avoid that Volume must be restored quickly.

Ideally, you should be drinking water for it. Since in dehydration the gut absorbs water disproportionately increased, Oral Isotonic Fluid should be used. Since people inside the hospital are way too weak to gulp, can't get up so vomit may get aspirated if you put a nasal feeding tube, and are in imminent danger in some cases, they must be hydrated intravenously.

>muh cold!
Who gives a fuck. Heating them is a good practice, but only obligatory if you're treating shock since large volumes must be infused in 30 minutes tops.

>but some patients can just drink!
And those patients don't belong in the hospital.

Anonymous No. 16158540

>>16158536
>And those patients don't belong in the hospital.
This is like 90% of hospital visits, the vast majority of them. Do you actually know what you're talking about or are you just making shit up?

Anonymous No. 16158548

>>16158540
Why the fuck do you assume I don't know what a hospital looks like?

Are you telling me your retarded hospital admits every fucking dimwit that comes with diarrhea? You admit every fucking cough? Every idiot who sprains his ankle? Tell me what the fuck do people coming for stupid shit has to do with what should be admited and what not. Have you ever worked the ER you dumb faggot? Don't you know what is it like to juggle beds, negotiate for ward transfers and waiting for people to die to give the bed to someone with an actual chance of living?

You went to the hospital ONE fucking day and you're running your mouth like you know shit. Fuck you.

Anonymous No. 16158553

>>16158548
>Don't you know what is it like to juggle beds, negotiate for ward transfers and waiting for people to die to give the bed to someone with an actual chance of living?
>You went to the hospital ONE fucking day and you're running your mouth like you know shit. Fuck you.
In that one day I was there the IV's were the smallest problem but something I honestly just wanted an answer on and not a reddit-tier response.
There were much bigger logistical problems, and yeah, they could have handled it a lot better. I probably know about management better than you, ER's are not efficient. Everyone can see that, why can't you?

Image not available

1292x537

Screenshot 2024-0....png

Anonymous No. 16158558

>>16158536
>>16158548
Screencapped your post btw, gonna make a thread tomorrow asking why hospital workers are such overpaid drama queens, pointing out glaring problems I saw in the ER.
Thanks, buddy.

Anonymous No. 16158564

>>16158553
Tell you what kid. Drop out. Medicine is not for you. If you think you can fix "logistics" go study business administration or some shit. In medicine the higher ups just tell you "We have these many beds, good luck", and it's your job to prioritize, to reserve and clear them as soon as possible. If the clinic you're visiting (because no way you can call that shit a hospital from what you tell) thinks it's advisable to suck money out of people with an admission they don't need, if they think people in peril of dying won't ever visit them, that's not my fucking problem. Ask them why they do that shit.

As for your answer, I already answered in >>16158536. You need to figure out if what you see is what works with you quickly because soon you are the one who will be filling that shit with people in IVs.

Anonymous No. 16158575

>>16158454
Always figured it was in case you needed to go into surgery they had the IV part ready to go.

Anonymous No. 16158592

Oh! Someone is screencapping posts! Quick. I want to make a post so I too get screencapped!

Right so. The wasteful use of IVs. Okay. I'm just guessing but here goes. So 90% of the time its probably not necessary, but I can think of reasons why it might have become a standard procedure to shove one in at a drop of a hat.

1) Like another anon said, profit motive. Its costs the staff nothing out of their own pockets, so they dont care, but it can allow the hospital to charge a ridiculous item price, either billed to the government, an insurance company or the individual. So hospital admin probably pushed hard to make it a priority response.
2) It may have some physiological benefit for those who while not in immediate harm are distressed. Shoving a drip in is quick and easy and gives the patient some reassurance that something is being done for their well being while the staff do the examinations, tests and diagnoses.
3) Its also probably a "cover your ass step 1."
"Yes the patient received ALL possible steps to make their condition stable". Its a very safe procedure and dripping saline in slowly carries no risk.
4) Switching drips. Getting a drip in asap is probably preferably in case the patient's conditions changes rapidly, for whatever reason, making the later insertion of an IV needle more difficult ( veins constricting as a result of a condition, or the patient becoming uncooperative ). So may as well get a bag of saline hooked up, and then switch over the bag if the doc says the patient needs something else )

Anonymous No. 16158606

>>16158536
>Spergs out irrationally.
I guess getting your ass fucked by your grandfather when you were young gave you some serious trauma, so no wonder you are so aggressive and fucked up in the head.

Anonymous No. 16158607

>>16158575
When I was in I was always NPO because the issue was in the gut and yes eventually surgery happened. They canโ€™t go carving into your abdomen when you are full of fruit punch gator aid. Well they can but prefer not to. So at least that is a reason sometimes.

Anonymous No. 16158613

>>16158592
Point 4 is good too. Dehydration makes the veins harder to hit. They want a catheter in for sure so may as well do it right away and then hydrate you instead of hoping you drink plenty of water when they need to get that drug/ contrast whatever in you.