Image not available

720x1061

new_black_science....jpg

๐Ÿงต What is the best programming language for doing /sci/?

Anonymous No. 16159558

I need to know if I should switch to R? Julia? Matlab?
I'm going to do some machine learning with convex optimization, should I go full retard and try to implement my own pytorch solvers?

Image not available

1366x703

1714853579521.png

Anonymous No. 16159570

What's that whore talking about? Python is the easiest shit to install across all OS. In fact these days, you just install anaconda and run Jupyter, which works out of the box. Or is she doing "data science" by writing in pythons idle?

Anonymous No. 16159575

>>16159558
Python/Jupyter simply for the flexibility and prevalence.

I prefer Mathematica, in all honesty. The front end features slow it down, but it's got some terrifically optimized features for handling large data sets and symbolic functions, and its ability to creature figures and animations puts Python to shame. However, if you want a legit copy of it it costs a small fortune and cracks of it are getting less and less reliable.

Anonymous No. 16159578

>>16159575
>Mathematica
never used this, what's the other functionatlies?
I actually has access to it for free through my institution I think?

Anonymous No. 16159643

>>16159578
Well, like I said, the biggest pro for functionality is symbolic operations. You can build and solve complex symbolic equations analytically without having to define explicit values for things the way you do in most other languages. Python's sympy module tries to emulate this, but it's got a long way to go. This makes for a lot of flexibility if you're doing computational physics, you can effectively set up functions or coefficients the way you would if you were solving the problem on a chalkboard and can very quickly plot results or solve analytically without having to run shit through loops or feed things tables of data. It's also got a lot of powerful tools for numerical and differential solving. It's also very well optimized for handling tables of data, strings, or symbolic terms.

In terms of making figures, the learning curve is comparable to matplotlib, but everything just looks a lot cleaner and more professional, especially when it comes to more complex types of figures like 3D plots, density plots, contour plots, etc. It's also very well optimized for handling bulk plotting/figures: Stuff like Jupyter freaks out if you try to make more than like 20 figures, and trying to make manipulatable or animated figures is almost impossible, but it's pretty simple in Mathematica. The whole front end presentation of Mathematica is actually really clean and well-organized compared to trying to run shit through a notepad or even a nicer IDE like Spyder. It's a notepad format which means you can easily divide segments of your code into cells which can be run independently without having to break them into separate subroutines or anything.

If it's free, try it. Like I said, bit of a learning curve, but no worse than learning Python.

Anonymous No. 16159663

>>16159570
>easiest shit to install
I remember it being PITA to setup just to run some game mods that needed it.
You don't dump it the correct folder, the instructions on how to register global variables where incomplete, file type registration was a mess, etc.