Image not available

725x1024

1714920752893870.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16164243

How do we optimize teaching/instruction? I am getting more and more interested in the scientific aspects of learning and teaching.

Anonymous No. 16164292

>>16164243
Teaching is super simple. You need basically three things to have unbelievably effective instruction at your school or university:
1) Instructors who are competent enough in their field that they know how to approach it from many different perspectives. If you only know one route to Rome, you won't be much good at helping the lost young students who can't see that road.
2) Instructors who actually are invested in their students understanding. It won't matter at all how competent the students are if it doesn't matter to them at all whether their students actually learn anything. Grades are pointless if the instructor doesn't feel it as a grave loss when a student who could do well doesn't earn an A because you couldn't reach them.
3) Proper administration such that the students who are in your class are actually motivated to learn. If you're teaching in a 200 seat room full of disinterested 19 year olds that don't want to be there then you're playing with the game stacked against you.

Essentially, you need the teaching model to be optimized for student learning rather than economic efficiency (which always will favor large class sizes, low investment and grade inflation).

Anonymous No. 16165006

>>16164292
An important aspect is the willingness to learn of students themselves.

Anonymous No. 16165018

>>16165006
Well yeah, that's the point of 3). If students are only there because they are being forced to take the class and have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever then they aren't going to want to learn.

It's pretty rare for students to be motivated to learn, especially if it's a really challenging course, if it's one they wouldn't have taken if they had the choice not to.

Anonymous No. 16166287

It would be nice for students to work on harder and therefore more interesting problems, but I don't know if that would help the midwits and below. Tracking could help.

Anonymous No. 16167440

Have you seen this?
https://www.learner.org/series/a-private-universe/1-a-private-universe/

Image not available

720x864

8p4gzm0tazv51.jpg

Anonymous No. 16167522

>>16167440
>>16167440
Those kids are now teachers. And, Jesus Christ, Heather's explanation of indirect light is totally right (and a major reason for why it isn't totally dark at night), and the one that she's given is complete nonsense.

Anonymous No. 16167528

https://youtu.be/Yg2oDkHiRgY

Now this is pedagogy.

Anonymous No. 16167532

This is such an interesting thread. I find myself having a hard time focusing in class right now - I often do something else during classes and then I learn the same content through a book. This is obviously very unneficient for me and I'm trying to change that (I would be thankful if anyone had a tip for this situation).

This has led me to reflect a lot on learning and education. For maths, I found that reading the theory and doing mountains of exercises is helpful. But I don't know anything about teaching. All I know is that by seeing students at my class, >>16164292 is totally correct - if students don't want to learn, they won't and it would be better to just let them skips the classes they want.