Image not available

1366x768

o4mov434.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16166404

How feasible is it actually to be a self taught engineer/scientist? The biggest obstacle I can name at the top of my head is that without a lab and equipment only universities or big companies can afford, you can't get practical knowledge, unless you were doing something that only needs a computer

Anonymous No. 16166416

>>16166404
It is mostly just googling these days. Learn solidworks or matlab or something like that.

Anonymous No. 16166645

>without a lab and equipment only universities or big companies can afford
universities have that gear and they only churn out morons, so your assumption about the largest obstacle is clearly erroneous

Anonymous No. 16166656

>>16166404
Self-teaching right up to the cutting-edge research level is not very feasible because the materials just aren't available to you. If you're trying to learn something only understood by 15 people, which is sparsely documented in a couple research papers and has zero public educational materials, you have no entry point unless you know one of those people
Self-teaching up to the level of a graduate degree is very possible if you're motivated but without any feedback from anyone you're inevitably going to develop some bad habits and weird quirks

Anonymous No. 16166948

>>16166404
In my country if you want to be a chartered professional engineer with an engineering licence then you need a degree plus a certain amount of work experience as an engineer. Not every type of engineer has these requirements but most of them seem to. So you could technically work as an engineer but if you don't have the degree then you couldn't get the licence and wouldn't be able to sign off on engineering work

Anonymous No. 16166957

>>16166404
The purpose of a university was twofold:
1. Access to good professors. Professors aren't good anymore and they don't intend to teach you anything unless you suck their cock all day every day, so this is why self-taught seems appealing.
2. Access to research materials, equipment, and networking. This has yet to be ruined, and unless you like subscribing to every journal ever with your own money, you're better off mooching around a university on some level.

Cult of Passion No. 16167019

>>16166404
I could only do it by operating at a dimension more fundemental than they did, hence plenty of low hanging fruit.

Image not available

1004x1339

20230918_143255.jpg

Cult of Passion No. 16167020

>>16166404
>>16166416
This.

Its not about "learning shit". MAKE SOMETHING with what you learned and that in itself is the proof of comptency (the certification you lack).

>How feasible is it actually to be a self taught engineer/scientist?
What you didnt say is "How do I perform ____ experiement?"

Why? Are you trying to earn a white labcoat and a spot light or are you trying to Engineer and Science something?

Anonymous No. 16167113

>>16166656
good advice.
>>16166957
>2.
Scihub exists. But yes, university is not bad if you want to do labwork or actually work on the things that the professors work on. If you don't care about either one of those things, you will spend your time in university idling.

Anonymous No. 16168035

>>16166645
>"scientist" and "moron" aren't synonymous terms