Image not available

818x1162

David_Hilbert_pos....jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16171727

What are some of the most underrated branches of Mathematics from a professional research POV?

Anonymous No. 16171802

Nonlinear dynamics/Chaos/Control Theory

Anonymous No. 16171834

Mine

Anonymous No. 16171876

>>16171802
You know where really doesn't get enough love from mathematicians? Signal Processing. I loved Bremaud's Mathematical Foundations of Signal Processing and it would be really cool to see Fourier/Harmonic analysis types try their hand at statistical and non-linear signal processing.

Anonymous No. 16172015

>>16171727
Mathematical Logic

Anonymous No. 16172584

>>16171727
For the general public: logic and statistics
For "pure" mathematicians: "applied" mathematics (e.g., stemming from physics, computer science, signal processing or control).
For "applied" mathematicians:any kind of math that is not only reliant on calculations (also includes lots of combinatorics and theoretical computer science).

Anonymous No. 16172586

>today I'll wear my wife's summer hat

Barkon No. 16172589

>>16172586
Who says random of a choice between 4 is actually 4* rather than more than that because you aren't taking it literally

Anonymous No. 16173296

>>16171727
what did that guy do other than tell other people what they had to do until he got rekt by goedel?

Anonymous No. 16173301

>>16173296
His big contributions were in invariant theory and mathematical physics, but it's reductive to pretend that coordination of mathematical efforts isn't also a skill. He's remembered as among the greats because his breadth of knowledge was wide enough that he could identify trends and shifts that others couldn't. He saw the whole landscape of mathematics, whereas other people had a limited view.

Image not available

732x649

trirac.jpg

Anonymous No. 16174254

>>16171876
taking a SigProc class this semester and I'm loving it.

Wish I wasnt such a brainlet so I could work on optical computing. My only hope is that my enthusiasm gets me a job as coffee bringer in such a research department

Image not available

600x426

Berezowski_Abramo....jpg

Anonymous No. 16174835

>>16171802
>Control Theory
Based and kleptocrat-pilled

Anonymous No. 16175475

>>16173296
didn't he develop relativity independently from Einstein or something like that?

Anonymous No. 16175477

>>16171802
>>16171876
True. In the absence of mathematicians, these fields are left to stupid electrical engineers

Anonymous No. 16175510

>>16173296
>t. Brianlet philosophy pseud
Godel is great, but he didn't BTFO of Hilbert or Russell. Godel's Incompleteness theorem is a strong argument against Hilbert's formalism and Russell's logicism, but it's still doesn't negate Hilbert's work, and Godel's own research drew heavily on Hilbert's work in proof theory.

Hilbert was one of the greatest mathematicians of all time. He was at the forefront of three disparate areas of mathematics, all of which were at the forefront of scientific research at the time:
(1) Mathematical physics
(2) Pure Mathematics
(3) Logic and the foundations of mathematics

You really can't overstate his contributions to any of these fields. In Mathematical physics, Hilbert helped pioneer both the theory of special relativity and the formalism of Hilbert spaces, without which it would have been impossible to develope modern quantum mechanics, or much of modern algebra or analysis.
In pure mathematics, Hilbert help pushed algebraic geometry, differential equations, complex analysis, and number theory to new hights of abstraction (e.g. see Riemann-Hilbert Correspondence). In logic and foundations of mathematics he helped popularize Mathematical logic in its early days, he contributed immensely to the developed specifically of proof theory (which makes a lot of sense given the syntactical nature of proof theory and Hilbert's formalist philosophy of math), and he helped pioneer what would become the theory of decidability/computability.

>>16175475
He was actually older and more famous than Einstein at the time. Hilbert, Minkowski, and Lorentz had been working on special relativity since the late 1800s. Einstein was aware of this work and tied some loose string together, but both Hilbert and Einstein were aware of each other, and Hilbert was very much in a senior position. In fact, Hilbert encouraged people to give Einstein more credit for the work because Hilbert was already immensely famous for his work in pure math and foundations.

Anonymous No. 16175568

>>16175477
Hey, we may be stupid but at least we are doing something. I really do wish that more EE programs would require some grad level real analysis, as it really does make your life so much better in these fields.