Image not available

800x242

p345-001-lg.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16174232

Consider picrel. Two media, each incombustible on their own, are mixed in the mixing chamber. The resulting mixture is highly flammable. A flame is ignited at the torch tip and is sustained outside the torch tip.
Does the flame not migrate into the torch because the flame front velocity in the gas mixture is less than the gas velocity in the nozzle ?
Would this mean throttling the flow of gas while maintaining the mixing ratio beyond a certain limit dictated by the flame front velocity and torch tip diameter would inevitably lead to the flame propagating into the torch ?
Would this also mean controlling turbulence and the boundary layer inside the nozzle would allow to maximize the practical lower limit of gas velocity in the direction of the theoretical limit as outlined above ?

Anonymous No. 16174243

>>16174232
It isn't only related to gas velocity. The tip works as flame arrester too, it relies on removing the heat of the flame to avoid propagation.
See "Davy lamp".

Anonymous No. 16174252

>>16174243
Thanks anon. That's a good point. I've always thought about it the other way round: Once the tip gets too hot it makes the flame to propagate inside. According to your input its rather that a tip that is too hot allows the flame to propagate by failing to remove enough heat.

Image not available

1025x1546

7lh0lceTCEatJlsmi....jpg

Anonymous No. 16175152

>>16174232
I too thought about this when I saw this movie as little boy.
Good post.