Image not available

1884x1473

1715543990046233.jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16180111

Since IQ can't be increased what are good cognitive frames of thinking to make you smarter? Such as improving lateral/divergent thinking, and problem solving.

Anonymous No. 16180202

>>16180111
*Work hard and smart.
*Throw 10,000 hours of deliberate practice at anything and you'd be world class.
*Throw 20,000 hours of deliberate practice and you're one of the best of all time.

The secret is being able to pull off 10s of thousands of hours of training where you are actively trying to get better hour after hour and not quitting prematurely.

Anonymous No. 16180278

>>16180111
Tons of sudoku increased my erections.

Anonymous No. 16180291

>>16180111
>10,000 hours
A meme made up by Malcolm Gladwell on flimsy evidence.

Anonymous No. 16180299

>>16180111
>IQ can't be increased
There was a study way back that showed that the amount of myelinization had a positive correlation with IQ. There should be (maybe was already) a study of factors that boost myelinization.

Anonymous No. 16180310

>>16180278
Is that game where nine girls get ravaged and fucked by monsters?

Anonymous No. 16180321

>>16180299
post 'em, big guy

Image not available

926x1632

1680152910598105.jpg

Anonymous No. 16180369

>>16180299
There are probably lots of things that positively correlate with IQ, because it is incredibly diverse and multifaceted.

>>16180111
Recently started reading a book from 20 years ago, "Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain", by Sharon Begley. One of the primary takeaways is that neurogenesis occurs at all stages of life. Neurogenesis being the ability to form new neurons from stem cells in the brain.

Most significantly is the neurogenesis that takes place in the hippocampus, the part of your brain directly related to forming new memories. The book goes into some detail about a few studies that basically show that doing new activities willingly that you enjoy and aren't forcing yourself to do promote neurogenesis the most. This could be anything. It could be exercise, playing a game, learning anything new. The point is that as long as you are learning something, you are creating new neurons and forming new synaptic pathways in the brain.

This phenomenon is actually probably directly linked to things you might have heard about like exercise and staying mentally active delaying the onset of Alzheimer's(characterized by a significant neurodegeneration in the hippocampus). It's why SSRI's can treat depression, by enhancing hippocampal neurogenesis. Depression is directly linked to lowered activity by the way, and is strongly correlated with lower hippocampal neurogenesis.

Want to be smarter? Start learning things you want every day. Do things you want to do, that don't feel like a chore. Learn to love to learn. And learn music, that shit connects things in your brain like nothing else.

Really you just have to do more. Do what you want to do, and get better at it.

Anonymous No. 16180406

if you dont have autism its over for you, most you can do is perfect one skill over a long time.

divergent thinking takes willingness to accept alot of different ideas and reason with them. problem solving is just divergent thinking that was thought of by someone smarter than you

Anonymous No. 16180453

>>16180369
That author is midwit regurgitating popsci junk science. Neuroplasticity is a meme with age and persists only in the hippocampus and modulating it is not as simple as introduction of a novel stimuli. Furthermore, there is an assumption that SSRIs are antidepressants and the reasoning for them is simply the same as the now discarded 5HT deficiency. They're antidepressants and work because X. It's questionable as to if these are antidepressants in the first place and if the subjects had depression who respond to them. There are other drugs that modulate synaptogensis and neurogenesis much more favorably. The idea of inducing it in depressed patient without accompanying increases in neurotransmission would if anything serve to crystalize his state rather than allay it.

If you want to read cognitive science, read a book by a cognitive scientist. If you want to read about psychopharmacology, read a book by a psychopharmacologist. If you want to read about behavior, read a book by a behavioral psychologist. Don't read pop books written by journalists.

Anonymous No. 16180466

>>16180111
>Since IQ can't be increased
So how would I have managed to decrease mine, from gifted child to 0 attention span nothing ever gets done ?

Image not available

860x960

3q46tq3.jpg

Anonymous No. 16180478

>>16180111
>Since IQ can't be increased what are good cognitive frames of thinking to make you smarter?
It can
Drop Acid

Anonymous No. 16180482

>>16180310
I’m pretty sure you’re confusing it with the Quran

Georg No. 16180574

You could explore relativism, constructivism, interpretivism as cognitive frames. Use different viewpoints (and different cognitive frames) to discover different perspectives.

Further suggestions to improve divergent thinking and problem solving:

+ Get to know people who have quite different beliefs, experience, cultural backgrounds and qualifications/training than you do. Listen to them, talk with them or get to know how they are thinking.

+ Spend time living in a different culture or country (may help you become aware of some of your unquestioned assumptions/beliefs or your social conditioning).

+ Explore your own biases, subconscious beliefs/assumptions, feelings, emotions, intuition/instinct and the subcsonscious (e.g. via critical self-reflection, mindfulness or meditation).

+ Explore spirituality (may help you to connect and access fields of information subconsciously).
E.g. ask yourself: Who am I? WHAT am I?

+ Follow your interests and explore many diverse fields of knowledge (and diverse aspects of life).

+ QUESTION everything (common beliefs/knowledge/facts, your beliefs)

How do you know that IQ can’t be increased?

Why do you want to become smarter?

Anonymous No. 16180790

>>16180453
The book specifically goes over experiments that heavily suggest the addition of new cells according to the observation of cells containing some sort of tracking drug that is used to observe the formation of new cancer cells. This is pretty explicit and the reason is obvious, because new cells are being formed. Some california school also came out with a study showing that damaged neurons revert to a transcriptional state or something where they can be reactivated to regrow themselves.

The question of whether or not SSRIs are antidepressants seems well documented, at least in that there is a marginal benefit that can't be overlooked by placebo. Never have I seen a more persuasive case for the antidepressant effect than in the simple case that we are organic learning machines and that if we don't learn things and receive positive feedback, our innate systems learn that it doesn't fucking matter to keep learning anymore. The "felt" outcome of this is depression.

I don't care to learn things written by "scientists". I think for myself, and I can accurately predict and understand phenomena that aren't understood by other people with very minimal input. I don't need to learn, because I guess ahead of time and look for validation that I'm right. The book I quoted in my post just happened to validate the things I already knew, that I wouldn't expect to get off the bat from orthodox "neuroscientists" who apparently can't even succinctly prove things that I was able to guess from reading about 30 pages of grey's anatomy and a handful of wikipedia articles. I have 0 respect for professionals because in my experience they are profoundly stupid and afraid to be right because it might impact their academic standing. That is why I will believe a pseudoscientific pop science author who links science with buddhism before debasing myself by stooping to believing in academia.

Anonymous No. 16181622

>>16180291
>meme made up by Malcolm Gladwell
Doesn't really matter. If you can run the gauntlet that is putting in suicide tier numbers in hours towards getting good at something you chaces of getting somewhere are better off. It's essentially a North Star for never giving up; if you're only willing to assess your progress in terms of 10,000 hour increments you'd be a freak of nature in perseverance.

The short cut is running the race the long way, with great patience and not getting bogged down by cheap and easy ways out. Work smart but also work hard and get ready to eat shit for thousands of hours.