Image not available

1536x2048

ff04044b-f262-49a....jpg

🧵 Non-calculus topics in math that require no prerequisites

Anonymous No. 16181636

I've been away from school for a while. Took calculus of a single variable and linear algebra a while ago. Most of it was hand wavy. I'd like to get back to math but I feel I don't have the mathematical maturity to truly understand calculus. What are some good resources/books for learning discrete math, number theory, etc. to build the maturity needed to tackle calculus?

Anonymous No. 16181707

>>16181636
>build the maturity needed to tackle calculus
The /sci/ wiki has (IMO) good advice in this regard:
https://4chan-science.fandom.com/wiki/Mathematics
I'm in a similar position as you and have just finished working through Stewart's Precalculus after completing the exercises on Khan Academy. It took a while but I definitely feel a lot more confident now about all the math I learned in high school.
I'm now starting Chartrand's Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics as preparation before tackling Apostol's Calculus I and continuing on from there. I'm obviously a noob but so far the wiki's guidance seems to be really good.

Anonymous No. 16181782

>>16181636
Name something specific in calculus that you failed to understand. If you can't just study calculus. If you can we will help you with that.

Anonymous No. 16181810

>>16181782
For starters why is integral from 1 to x 1/t dt logarithmic? This was also my motivation for “retreating” to discrete math, to get a better grasp of summation since they’re heavily involved in proving integral properties.

Anonymous No. 16182325

>>16181636
I'm a brainlet too, I just end up reviewing Khan academy YouTube material whenever I forget about statistical stuff.

Anonymous No. 16182326

>>16181810
The area under the curve y=1/x between x=1 and x=2 can be stretched horizontally by a factor of 2 and shrunk vertically by a factor of 2 to get the area under the same curve between x=2 and x=4. Similarly it's the same as the area under the curve between x=4 and x=8, and so on. Same thing works for a base other than 2. That's the basic insight, and with a bit of work you can show that if the integral from 1 to x (x being positive and not equal to 1, and we lose nothing by making x > 1) is a, the integral from 1 to x^y is ay. Here y can be any real number, but it's easiest to prove it for natural numbers first; then you should be able to extend it to integers, rationals, and finally real numbers.