Image not available

646x660

pauli-1-660[1].png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16183619

why must the spin statistics theorem be true?

my understanding is extremely naive and rudimentary so please bear with me. elementary particles have parameters that dictate what state they're in, such as energy level. one of the parameters happens to be spin. if the spin is half-integer, then the state can't be shared with particles of the same spin. if it's a whole integer, then it can share that state with as many particles as that energy well can support. is this correct? if not, please explain how spin works because i'm confused at this part.

if it does work like this, why does spin have only two values (up or down). i know its associated with the axis alignment, but can't the axis be oriented in any direction in 3 dimensional space, leading to infinite possible states? what constraints this to just up and down spin? and why is it consistent with spin statistics?

Anonymous No. 16183632

>>16183619
>but can't the axis be oriented in any direction in 3 dimensional space, leading to infinite possible states?
yes, but the two electrons that share an orbital will always be opposite to each other. The two states are purely relative to each other, and have nothing to do with their 3D orientation

Anonymous No. 16183674

>>16183619
cause pauli said so