Image not available

550x391

19 caratts gold.png

🧵 is there a gold atom in every rock?

Anonymous No. 16190772

If you pick up a random 1-2 pound rock from the ground, what's the %-chance it contains at least 1 gold-atom?

Would you be lying if you gave away a random rock to someone and said it contains gold (clarifying you mean at least one "unit" of gold)?

Anonymous No. 16191133

>>16190772
Nobody really knows. Try to run mass spectrometry on hundreds of thousands of different rock samples.

Anonymous No. 16191166

>>16190772
the percent chance in any random clump of dirt is going to be exactly the percent it appears in the human body and in the periodic table. Everything is about the same composition everywhere because the same average ratio of the elements is everywhere look up the percent for the human body and that's your answer.

Anonymous No. 16191175

>>16190772
>>16191133

for every one gold atom there would be several cadmium atoms and cadmium is useless poison metal

Anonymous No. 16191177

>>16191166
>the same average ratio of the elements is everywhere look up the percent for the human body and that's your answer.

here's an idea though: human body does not accumulate gold
human body does not use gold atoms for anything

so human remains likely contain no gold at all

same is true for ALL ANIMALS

therefore gold is probably best found in someplace where there is no life because apart from human goldlust, nothing in nature moves gold around

Anonymous No. 16191180

>>16191177
they measured it and there are 0.2 milligrams of gold for every 70 KG of flesh. That ratio is going to be identical to the dirt or rock from anywhere as well as the overall percentage of the universe's gold composition.

Anonymous No. 16191364

>>16191175
I think there was some indication that cadmium interacts with our nickel receptors in some way that is biologically useful but I can't remember

Anonymous No. 16191580

>>16191177
Some human had gold teeth/rings so if bears, cannibals , ants or other predators aught them alive they aught to have accumulated some gold, just sayin

Anonymous No. 16191582

>>16191180
Does this mean I have some nanograms amount of plutonium in me? Am I radioactive? What happens when I get 1 g plutonium in me? Will I become Radioactive Man?

Anonymous No. 16192052

>>16190772
>If you pick up a random 1-2 pound rock from the ground, what's the %-chance it contains at least 1 gold-atom?
almost 100%, microtrace amounts of atoms tend to get in fucking everything
>Would you be lying if you gave away a random rock to someone and said it contains gold (clarifying you mean at least one "unit" of gold)?
technically no

Anonymous No. 16192201

>>16191580
I think it just passes through their intestinal tract

Anonymous No. 16192270

>>16191166
Lol no

Anonymous No. 16192463

>>16192201
nah, gold flakes off easily, so small bits of flakes will drop to the bottom walls of intestinal and rest there your whole life

Anonymous No. 16192464

>>16192270
lmao yes

Anonymous No. 16192490

>>16191582
plutonium yes because its been scattered into the air by bombs, gold too, theres some gold in some atom bombs.

Anonymous No. 16193653

>>16191582
There's more probably radon and radioactive carbon isotopes in you than plutonium

Anonymous No. 16193891

>>16191580
Imagine a golden cannibal

Anonymous No. 16193940

>>16191582
Probably closer to pico or femtograms

Anonymous No. 16194507

>>16190772
>is there a gold atom in every rock?
It depends on the size of the rock. A large enough rock will have at least 1 atom of gold. Gold is not evenly distributed because of plate tectonics, volcanism, weathering, and hydrothermal fluid alterations. If you look at gold veins you can clearly see distinct lines where gold is or is not. The hard rock mines follow the gold veins. There are large pit mines where the gold is more evenly distributed and enormous amounts of rock and soil (not rock) are piled and leached to get out the gold. Since gold in concentrated in some areas, it is leached from other areas, so gold is not everywhere evenly distributed.

Anonymous No. 16194693

>>16194507
>It depends on the size of the rock. A large enough rock will have at least 1 atom of gold
what sizes are we talking about?
is there difference between 4.5'' and 7''?

Anonymous No. 16194714

>>16191166
Human bodies might have gold in them you say? Interesting...

Anonymous No. 16196187

>>16192052
If I smelt million kg of rocks, how much gold do I get?

Anonymous No. 16196217

>>16190772
if i first evenly mix the earth such that all layers of the earth and all mineral deposits and such are all everywhere equidistant from eachother including all minerals excavated and used by man and then divide this earth soup into 1.5 pound divisions, there would probably be atleast 2 atoms of gold

Anonymous No. 16196348

>>16190772
>If you pick up a random 1-2 pound rock from the ground, what's the %-chance it contains at least 1 gold-atom?
100%
t. geologist

>Would you be lying if you gave away a random rock to someone and said it contains gold (clarifying you mean at least one "unit" of gold)?
No, but a curious person would obviously ask "what unit"?

Anonymous No. 16196486

>>16196348
unit of "mole/mole" obviously?

Anonymous No. 16196493

>>16196187
1 million kg rocks = 1/1000000*th of earths mass
since we know the amount of gold on earth equals to 1/10^18 part of earths mass the answer would be around 13 to 17 carats depending on how "wet" (aka icy) the melted rocks were

*source is wikipedia so take my calc with grains of salts

Anonymous No. 16196509

>>16190772
We have x-ray crystallography, mass spectrometry, sensor fusion and people are still obsessed with this shiny metal lmao fucking alchemists

Anonymous No. 16196551

OP here

I understand my question can be viewed as too silly or unserious in order to recieve more competent scientifical answers, so I'll take my time to explain the reason behind it. Allthough I'm a person of the curious variety, whom seeks knowledge of every kind of type, the truth is that I'm considering giving another rock to my nephew on his birthday. I've already giving him a "cool" rock as a christmas present (which he was neither excited nor dissapointed over) so I feel I have to come up with a more solid reason/excuse this time to reach the same level of satisfaction.

Why do I want to give a random rock to my nephew? Well, my plan is to continue to give him a few rocks every now and then. Once I've been giving him a rock as a present for the sixth or seventh time in a row I think I'll be in the clear since the story will be worthy itself. According to my own estimations the value of having an uncle giving you a random 1-2-pound rock every birthday is worth around 500 bucks or so. In the end every rock will be worthy around 50+ bucks each which isn't a bad present at all.

Anonymous No. 16196645

>>16196486
no, not obvious at all. A gram is a unit, a pound is a unit, an atom is a unit, a mole is a unit, etc.

Anonymous No. 16196649

>>16196551
I think that is a great idea. What you could do is actually get some gold-rich ore which isn't worth shit anyways, but it is the rock which is much higher in gold content than your average rock out there, and it is the very rock type that is mined, crushed and pulverized to extract gold from.

That in itself is already fucking cool. I'm a grown man and I'm already excited about that idea for a present.

Yes, give him a "gold rock"!

Anonymous No. 16196832

>>16194714
Go to a restaurant where they serve edible gold burgers and then you have gold in your body.

Human body has all kinds of elements in it. Every human body even mercury but it's such a miniscule amount that it doesn't matter.

Anonymous No. 16197148

>>16196832
>edible gold burgers
I'm sorry to say this, because it sounds like you're a fat burger-eater who thought he caught gold but didn't read the fine-print. It's not the great deal you think it is. they don't use gold. they use fake gold, most often cheap brass, a mixture, an alloy between copper and zinc. there's numerous reason for this this. brass weights less, looks better, tastes more, is cheaper, is healther, etc. It isn't gold u're eating. You're basically paying £10 extra for some basic vitamine supplements you could buy for £6 in the store.

Anonymous No. 16197201

>>16196551
Look, just no. Giving rocks shouldn't be about their monetary value. It should about the awe inspiring nature of just sheer existence. Okay listen, a fucking rock has history, often a history reaching back many millions of years. When you break open a rock you are seeing grains of rock which have NEVER been seen by anyone else before.You are exposing those grains of rock to sunlight for perhaps the first time ever since the creation of earth, or in the case of sedimentary rocks for the first time in eons. Think of that history, those immense periods of time, fucking mind blowing. In the case of igneous and metaphoric rocks think of of gigantic processes that formed that rock deep within the earth, unimaginable heat and pressures to produce something that you now hold in your hand. Think of yourself as an extraordinarily complex biological construct that has formed over millions of years and crazily enough developed a neural network capable of picking up and gazing down upon a non living material in wonder, considering its history, and feeling a connection shared through a common origin that culminated from a swirl of fucking interstellar dust. Fuck me. Its a mind orgasm. Now get your nephew fucking stoned out of his brain and tell him all about it, while he is holding that cold hunk of motherfucker. Then give him a quick kick in the balls. You cant put a price on that shit.