Signal processing
Instrumentation
Computers
Photonics and optics

all of them are welcome here....

Anonymous No. 16196594

Bump

Anonymous No. 16196656

What’s the future outlook of nuclear power plants in the United States? Currently getting my MS and I’m looking to either specialize in renewables or nuclear generation. I’m more interested in the latter but concerned about the job outlook.

Anonymous No. 16196660

>>16196656
until we deregulate nuclear power to the point we can dump spent fuel in the ocean, nuclear power will forever be artificially expensive.

Anonymous No. 16196686

>>16196660
How will we meet the increasing demand for electricity, in conjunction with the decrease of future project for natural gas + coal plants without turning to nuclear?

Anonymous No. 16197385

>>16196660
Sub 90 IQ take

Image not available

1500x1515

zDSP books - Copy....png

Anonymous No. 16197535

Anonymous No. 16197608

Would you rather have a 100 MHz Oscilloscope with 4 channels, or a 200 MHz Oscilloscope with 2 channels?

Anonymous No. 16197676

>>16196656
Dead like space travel

Anonymous No. 16198788

Bump

Anonymous No. 16199014

>>16197608
probably the 200M/2ch. Most of my work is in embedded, so I don't have use cases for 3+ channels probed simultaneously.

Image not available

720x720

1695507774074224.png

Anonymous No. 16199386

post your fav bus terminals
for me its the Beckhoff 1488

Image not available

1280x1280

tesla 1280__83130.jpg

Anonymous No. 16200179

gonna build a Tesla coil sometime this summer

Anonymous No. 16201102

Where are all the EE anons?!
When I go to stem career general, half of the posters there are either EE students or EE engineers.
Don't these people like the idea of having their own general?

Anonymous No. 16201109

>>16201102
I'm an EE in the statistical signal processing world. Honestly I haven't seen much reason to engage in this thread. Mostly shitpost in the math, probability and AI threads as they are more relevant to my research areas than things like circuits or power lines.

Anonymous No. 16201112

>>16196686
We won't. The grid is getting older and blackouts are an order of magnitude more often than they were 25 years ago.

Anonymous No. 16202014

Any free software to make circuit drawings and pcb layouts?

Anonymous No. 16202043

>>16202014
I heard good things about KiCad

Anonymous No. 16202845

>>16201109
Are you the gentleman who works on sonar tech?

Anonymous No. 16203669

Any recommendations for learning signal analysis and processing? Bio fag with some math skills

Image not available

1155x1435

oppenheim.png

Anonymous No. 16203671

>>16203669
Oppenheim is surely still 'the book'.

Anonymous No. 16203688

>>16202845
I do work on sonar yes. That's one of the things I do. Any questions or anything I can help you with?

>>16203669
B.P Lathi's Signal Processing and Linear Systems or the Oppenheim book recommended here. >>16203671

Once you've got the basics of signals and systems down, you should learn a bit of linear system theory and some probability with an eye towards signal processing. Papoulis is the best for that.

Anonymous No. 16203913

>>16203688
I wanted to ask you about the overall workflow of an engineer who is specialized in Signal and System.
I want to get my Master's in either SS or RF. I know RF is about dealing with EM fields and matching impedance and antenna and things like that, but i don't really know what SS is about. I mean signals appear in literally every corner of EE, it's so broad and general that it doesn't give you a clear picture.
I know RF engineers deal with physical, tangible shit like RF circuits, wave guides, antennas etc.. . Do the signal processing engineers also have to make physical stuff? or is it like 100% of the job is done by sitting in front of the computer?
Also you mentioned you use a lot of statistics, is this (and other statistical shits like stochastic processes, time-series etc...) the dominant mathematics that an average signal processing engineer uses daily? or are there more math into it?

Anonymous No. 16205122

>>16196660
Why would you dump spent fuel in the ocean when you can add value and increase economic complexity by reprocessing it

Image not available

1170x1169

1695862731422488.jpg

Anonymous No. 16205256

how can I cope with math during my EE studies ?

Anonymous No. 16205500

>>16203913
It really depends on the part of the field you are working in and your "part of the signal chain" if you'll ignore the stupid pun.

If you want an example from sonar, you could be a "signal processing engineer" while working on any of the following components:
1) Acoustic ray modeling and sound channel modeling (essentially acoustic physics and PDEs)
2) Acoustic transducer circuit design and signal processing (the interface between the pressure wave and the induced electrical signal, think antenna design)
3) Acoustic DSP (design of the analog-to-digital part of the process where you perform anti-aliasing and discretization of the signal. This involves Fourier analysis on the "expected signal" your system is designed around, as well as the non-destructive transformation from the continuous time-domain into the discrete-time domain).
4) Acoustic signal detection and classification (how do we know if we have received the signal of interest from the discrete samples?)
5) Statistical signal processing/parameter estimation (how do we extract quantities of interest like the angle of arrival or location of the source of the signal?)
6) Target tracking/data association (how do we distinguish between multiple sources of signals that we receive simultaneously?)

In my case, a lot is done on a computer, but we've also constructed and deployed physical sonar arrays to get empirical verification of our process.

Anonymous No. 16205524

>>16203913
> I wanted to ask you about the overall workflow of an engineer who is specialized in Signal and Systems.

As I said in >>16205500 it depends on where you personally fit into the process and your particular skills.

Generally a signal processing engineer will be working on either
1) control theory (i.e., how do we model the dynamics of a system, observe signals which indicate the state of the thing we want to control, and introduce a control signal which will induce the change we want to see?),
2) communication systems (i.e., how do we encode, communicate and decode signals both in digital and analog domains, including RF/acoustics/optical channel modeling and receiver design?)
3) Machine learning (i.e., how do we design systems to perform classification, regression or clustering tasks to extract certain information from signals of interest?)
4) Target tracking (i.e., how do we model the dynamics of our object of interest, how do we extract information about the object of interest from the signals we can observe, and how do we separate out the target from false alarms/distinct targets?)

In my case, I am primarily doing research in 3-4. My workflow generally is something like this:
1) Define in an abstract sense what problem we are trying to solve. Are we modeling air traffic or are we trying to estimate/predict the remaining life of an industrial tool from some industrial process?
2) Define the state. Mathematically what are we trying to figure out?
3) Define our observations. What kinds of "signals" do we have access to? Is it received RF waveforms like in radar? Is the signal continuous or discrete? Is the signal very noisy or is it precise and generally free of contamination? Is the object of interest cooperative (meaning it is trying to tell us its state) or do we need to try to figure out its state from passive observation?
4) Define our loss/error metric. How do we know how good/bad we are doing?
5) Determine the solution process/algorithms.

Anonymous No. 16205531

>>16203913
> Also you mentioned you use a lot of statistics, is this (and other statistical shits like stochastic processes, time-series etc...) the dominant mathematics that an average signal processing engineer uses daily? or are there more math into it?

There's basically 5 mathematical disciplines you can never possibly learn too much of in terms of signal processing:
> Linear algebra and linear/non-linear systems theory.
> Complex function theory and Fourier analysis
> Probability and statistics.
> Optimization theory and functional/convex analysis
> Information theory

It's astounding how much you can do with a solid background in those 5 core subjects. Obviously anything else you wish to learn probably won't hurt, but those are the 5 you should have a strong background in if you want to do research level signal processing.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 16205775

>>16195271
How much data can be transmitted via the high voltage transmission lines? I recall the power companies do transmit some data for themselves, but can they be used a crude backbone for communication systems like inernet or voice over power lines?

Image not available

1050x685

1000014643.gif

Anonymous No. 16205820

>>16201112
That's due to climate change not the grid getting worse.

Anonymous No. 16205836

>>16196656
Us is actively building new plants for now so tentatively it looks like nuclear is growing. I have almost heard we are in a bit of a shortage for engineers in the field due to retirements

Anonymous No. 16206213

>>16205500
>>16205524
Thank you anon
I was thinking about working on biomedical signal processing, not sure exactly which sector but something that deals with developing some sort of Brain-Computer Interface for the benefit of those who are paralyzed or have ALS.
I didn't know Signal prepossessing engineers could also take part in design of sensors and transceivers, that's interesting.
>>16205531
I thought RF math is a killer lmao... now it seems like Signal and System is even more math intensive, not that i mind though.

Image not available

1216x612

powerlinefield.png

Anonymous No. 16206707

>>16196656
They still don't know how magnets work, no.
>>16196686
>increase
No no, "decrease". What part of that did you not understand? You don't have enough? That was the point, retard.
>>16205820
>So what puts out these power lines? Do they spontaneously combust when it rains or some shit or is it because states run by retards are too fucking stupud to cut the trees back away from the field?
Probably that, I bet you they even believe electricity is flowing through the lines too and not around them (which is why you're supposed to cut them back and not live under them). I'll do you a favor though and not ask you compare this to "populations access to electricity"

Anonymous No. 16207206

>>16206213
> I thought RF math is a killer lmao... now it seems like Signal and System is even more math intensive, not that i mind though.

Signal processing is definitely a ton of math. We're basically the ones that have to take as an input all of the RF/EM/acoustic/optical etc. stuff the rest of the EE world produces and turn it into something usable/controllable.

As someone with a background in the signal processing side of radar/sonar I definitely know less about EM than someone who works on EM all day, but I need to know enough to be able to model what a received RF signal "should look like" and what noise will corrupt that signal. Definitely less PDE's in signal processing though (outside of waveform modeling).

> I was thinking about working on biomedical signal processing, not sure exactly which sector but something that deals with developing some sort of Brain-Computer Interface for the benefit of those who are paralyzed or have ALS.

That's a super popular field and definitely needs as much help as they can get. When I went back to school for EE, I actually did an EE/BME double major because I wanted to work on implants for people with paralysis/neuropathy. Unfortunately I found out fairly quickly that while I'm good at math, I'm proper shit at bio-chemistry. Ultimately I ended up dropping the double major and just stuck with the EE part.

Anonymous No. 16207458

>>16205256
By switching into CS

Image not available

2000x2198

41467_2024_44766_....jpg

Anonymous No. 16208618

Memristor Prototype May Give AI Chips a Sense of Time

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news/memristor-prototype-may-give-ai-chips-a-sense-of-time/