Image not available

216x233

2EB62AD6-7E43-416....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16201261

Does your average professor have to review material before teaching an introductory class? An intermediate one? A graduate course?

I have a masters degree in electrical engineering and I’ve forgotten so much. I’m certain I’d struggle to teach say an introductory calculus class without a thorough review of
the material, to say nothing about linear algebra or probability and statistics.

Anonymous No. 16201267

>>16201261
Unless you're retarded, it's probably not that difficult. I took a diffeq class after 4 years without touching calculus and I just re-learned everything in a few days. You probably shouldn't be teaching a calc class anyways if you aren't familiar with real analysis

Anonymous No. 16201314

>>16201261
>engineering
>calculus
>lin alg
>prob, stats
>I’ve forgotten so much
bro wtf you never learned it in the first place. why are engineers so delusional about their level of knowledge? the baby math they teach engineers so they'll be able to slap together workable electric dildos isn't real math...

Anonymous No. 16201320

>>15833839
>Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

>If you want advice regarding college/university or your career path, go to /adv/ - Advice.

Anonymous No. 16201323

>>16201261
if you're hired as an adjunct, there's basically no oversight and you can just not teach anything and let them learn it themselves

As a professor, anything below Calc 2 I can teach with no preparation. Calc 2, 3, diff eq I can pretty much teach just by looking over the homework and skimming the chapter and making a note outline the night before class. Stats I do teach regularly, linear algebra and above I'd need to review in depth before the semester, and I don't teach grad level classes as I have no PhD

Anonymous No. 16201324

>>16201261
It depends on the class
You don't have to freshen up much for intro courses because you generally teach one almost every term
If a prof is teaching a high level topics course which isn't offered regularly, it generally takes quite a lot of work to prepare the lecture notes