Image not available

1099x512

1716688774935927.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

develupmental/evolution/genetics superbooks No. 16201954

https://youtu.be/kR7--yt3PRo
>let's talk about devo/evo without talking about develupmental biology
guy really mistakes the forest for the trees with this one
are there any good resources on what influences evolution in the modern genetic sense?

Anonymous No. 16201963

>>16201954
>Mutations
>Translocations
>Replications fault
That's it. I mean all this shit is on any basic biology book.

Anonymous No. 16201966

>>16201963
I guess we are missing the wonky shit
>mosaicism
>synchronized replication
Anything that changes the way a cell reproduces counts doesn't it? Why did you want to know?

Anonymous No. 16201977

>>16201954
>depicting humans as endurance runners
>on my /sci/ board
It happens more often than I thought. Good luck expending thousands of calories in an already starved state because most prey animals have already escaped. I guess discovery channel hunter/gather documentaries still hold authority over blue pilled normies. Don't forget to ask your wife for a few blue berries and spinach leafs before you go and exercise tomorrow morning.

Anonymous No. 16201982

>>16201963
I'm in a PhD program that requires each one of these separately, which I've already completed everything credit-wise other than advanced genetics, the developmental/molecular cell/and evolutionary courses where wholly separate and not integrated with eathother other than the concept of genes being handled as a translocation game or a loci polymorphism game.
I know other unis have courses *specifically* for integrating developmental/evolutionary via genetics, and since my thesis is dependent on the acquisition, heritability, and evolution of episomes in insects, I'd hope that there'd be a textbook or monograph that teaches an integrated theory.

Anonymous No. 16202089

>>16201982
Well the whole point of PhD is researching so why don't you research the stuff on your own in the first place?

Image not available

750x457

1705410930728838.jpg

Anonymous No. 16202138

>>16202089
Because my work is only tangential to the "big picture"
there's a good deal of literature around the baculoviral origin of the transposons, a lot of ongoing research on elucidating how RNA can be spliced into this system, and barely anything on how this can be inserted into the germline, outside maternal effect transcripts. The evolutionary origin of the underlying systems is barely known, and there's an overarching understanding of how insects have transgenes from fucking plants, and it's relationship to parasite-host interactions.
This is alphavirus, that infects the insect's PREY, intertwining with the cDNA of transposons that come from baculovirus (that aren't even known to interact with the insect whatsoever), allowing for transgenes within the insect to have transgenerational immunity to another virus that shouldn't be infecting them. Meanwhile, this entire system can be modulated by ROS and fucking bacteria living within the cells of the insect.

The combination of at least 4 separate genomes, excluding mobile elements that could be transmitted horizontally, are interacting within somatic cells in this insect, which then enter the germline, somehow. There is no evolutionary framework I know of that can model parasite-host interactions like this, yet there are parallels in c. elegans and artifacts in aphids and hymenoptera. (pic related is discussing the dynamic system, but simplifies the actual capture process, which is dependent on baculovirus-derived episomes, the same shit the piRNA system evolved to capture and eradicate from the germline)

Anonymous No. 16202143

>>16201977
Just because you are a 300 lbs obese kid who can't run to the closest fridge without sweating and running out of breath, it doesn't mean the neolithic humans weren't able to walk and run for miles

Anonymous No. 16202146

>>16202138
>muh underlying systems
Who gives a fuck dude. The systems are extinct. We have what we have.

One bacteria eats another bacteria, it makes an organelle. One mosquito ate plant with virus, virus infected mosquito nuts, now mosquito grows leaves. None of this shit is important and if you were really interested in the topic you wouldn't be having trouble, but you don't give a shit and only need a dumbass PhD for a job that doesn't even involve research. I seriously don't know what you were expecting to find.

Image not available

2225x2655

1709160573163355.png

Anonymous No. 16202153

>>16202146
It doesn't infect their gametes, my thesis is involved in actually being able to track how the processed elements make their way in there. My interest was my insertion method that got me here, but those same fucking processes are how the damn mosquitos do it organically.

Anonymous No. 16202159

>>16202146
>>16202143
OP absolutely annihilated

Anonymous No. 16202164

>>16202159
>>>16202143
reading comprehension, autist

Anonymous No. 16202166

>>16202153
>it doesn't infect their gametes
If you are 100% sure that the mosquito has plant genes, either the plant infected the mosquito's nuts, or the virus infected the mosquito's nuts. No other way around. If the current virus doesn't infect mosquito nuts, then the nut virus is extinct.

These things are obvious to me and I'm not even a biologist. How can you not see that?

Either a virus some time infected mosquito's nuts.
Or an intracellular bacteria infected the mosquito's nuts and now they have a new organelle nobody ever bothered looking at.
Or the plant and the mosquito have a common ancestor
Or your theory about mosquito having plant genes is bullshit.

Guess which is favored by Occam's razor.

Anonymous No. 16202351

>>16202143
No. Walk, yes, of course that's how they got anywhere. Run, no. No one hunts like that and it is completely retarded to do so. It's obvious someone just made it up and it got popularised. If you have any understanding of hunting, it's so obviously retarded. The guy who came up it with it knows nothing about hunting or documented huntergatherers. It's no better than random evopsych speculations.

In fact, it got popularised by a pseudo popsci book 'Born to Run' which leverages this idea in order to promote marathon running as a sport, something that was completely invented in 1896 as a promotional stunt for the Olympics and only became a serious sport popularised to the masses in the 70-80s. It is obvious this retard likes his unhealthy dogshit sport so much that he latched onto anything he could find to promote it. Just like people latch onto bullshit studies to justify and promote their coffee or tea drinking habit. Or wine or chocolate, etc.

Anonymous No. 16202393

>>16202351
Like it's hard to overstate how completely retarded you have to be of hunting to suggest nonsense like this. Not even sprinting up in a short window of opportunity to throw a projectile at an animal works because we're too slow.

In reality hunting falls mostly falls into two categories:
1. Lying in wait to kill an animal at close range with a projectile (e.g. throwing a spear or loosing an arrow) when it comes near.
2. Herding animals into a trap where they can't escape attacks. e.g. Completely surrounding it or a deadend of some kind, like a narrow cliff. But also one group waiting with a net to catch birds while the other group spooks them in the right direction (this is a documented method).

Even spearing fish falls under category 1. Other than these, I guess passive trapping and fishing with line are sort of their own category, but probably not used that far back.

Anonymous No. 16202539

>>16202351
>>16202393
Exactly. Ambushing and trapping are far more plausible than tracking and running. Not just mechanically but also calorically and from a sustainability standpoint: to be active all day not just in hunting but also in making tools, producing goods and services for fellow tribesmen like clothes, pottery, butchering the prey, cooking, taking care of children, rituals etc. it's far more plausible to do everything with low intensity and only do short bursts of intense exercise if absolutely necessary for survival. Running for multiple hours every day with moderate to high intensity is a modern luxury and not sustainable in an ancestral environment.

Anonymous No. 16203866

>>16202539
The animals smell the human ass-sweat from miles away, so ambushing isn't really an option