Image not available

920x180

Blindsight.png

๐Ÿงต Intelligence seperate from Consciousness?

Anonymous No. 16202589

I'm a bit of a brainlet and hoping to spark some discussion on the possibilities of consciousness not necessarily being (consistently) emergent property of intelligence. I just finished reading Blindsight and it was a really fun read outside of the autistic vampire stuff that was actually really cringe. But the whole concept of intelligent space fairing organisms that lack conscious awareness was really neat. I don't know if I really understand the implications that would have though. I know ChatGPT isn't conscious but it mimics conscious thought enough that if I were talking to it in the same way as pic related I think there's a good chance it'd be as nuanced as an actual conscious person would be in answering. So if there's a chinese room thingy going on and not actual "conscious thought" but the chinese room mimics it effectively then who really cares? What am I missing?

Anonymous No. 16202599

>>16202589
I personally assume that consciousness and intelligence are separate things. "Self awareness" is your intelligence analyzing your consciousness and querying it.

Pure intelligence from something like a highly advanced AI would be more like "hardware emulation". It can approximate but won't be a self-aware entity without consciousness.

I would say a non-concious but highly intelligent agent would be able to go through the motions of intelligent activity to some base-instinct end goal, but doesn't "experience" those actions. It's like someone sleep walking.

Anonymous No. 16202602

>the chinese room mimics it effectively then who really cares?
not the robot that's for sure
>What am I missing?
"unfalsifiable" concepts like "meaning" and "will" that should be self-evident but cannot be measured in material space with any instrument. So they, like consciousness are rendered as "epiphenomena" which really makes little sense. But you're often dealing with people arguing for a principle nature of reality based on misconstrued evidence from a topic they don't understand.

Anonymous No. 16203796

>>16202589
continue reading that book and you'll see that for it's purposes consciousness is defined by it's effects of causing wasteful activities like art and induces delays in thinking. Without consciousness, it's more "reptialian" you could say, input->output, no middleman deliberation or culture. It's not the same as a chinese room.