Image not available

400x460

no math.png

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 16202867

Who does this clickbait appeal to?
I'm an aging millenial who spent his life hearing the following quotes ad nauseum:
>I suck at math LMAO
>I fucking love science!!!

Anonymous No. 16202886

>>16202867
People only think they suck at math because:
1. People suck at teaching math.
2. High level math is divorced from reality.

Anonymous No. 16203009

>>16202886
Reality is divorced from Math

Anonymous No. 16203390

>>16202886
>1. People suck at teaching math.
Bullshit low IQ excuse. There may be some shitty professors in graduate level math but the retards who brag about "sucking at math" already failed at linear equation in a single variable. Irregardless of the teacher this should be trivial to anyone with a non-retard IQ.
>2. High level math is divorced from reality.
You couldn't be more wrong. Reality literally is math.

Anonymous No. 16203393

>>16203390
>There may be some shitty professors in graduate level math
I'm not talking about college. The bad teaching starts as early as middle school and sets students up for permanent failure.
>Reality literally is math.
This is the kind of delusion that fucks people over further down the line.

Anonymous No. 16203420

>>16203390
i met women & black people good at math and with math degrees. good grades. indians too. this shit can't be that difficult. sounds like a massive cope. saaar look equation solved status i am SMARTY.

Anonymous No. 16203451

>>16203390
There may be some shitty professors in graduate level math but the retards who brag about "sucking at math" already failed at linear equation in a single variable.
Math isn't about plugging in numbers any more than biology is about memorizing taxonomy. Our entire education system is completely fucking backwards. It's as if musicians were taught reading sheets for decades before ever even touching an actual instrument!
>>16203390
>Reality literally is math.
Math is about exploring high-level concepts that don't function like "reality." That's the entire fucking point.

I don't think you know anything about math at all apart from the formulas you were forced to memorize. Mathematics as a field is closer to art than it is to science.

Anonymous No. 16203520

>>16203451
>Math isn't about plugging in numbers any more than biology is about memorizing taxonomy. Our entire education system is completely fucking backwards. It's as if musicians were taught reading sheets for decades before ever even touching an actual instrument!

Can you expand on this? I never got further than freshman level Bio in undergrad because it was literally memorizing facts and filling in the blanks on a quiz.

Anonymous No. 16203610

>>16203009
this and even some fields of math are divorced from each other... sometimes by design

Anonymous No. 16203742

>>16203393
>The bad teaching starts as early as middle school and sets students up for permanent failure.
Suppose you could indeed improve the teaching outcomes by 50%.
Would it be worth it if took 5 times as much effort from the system/individual teachers? Note that depending on definition "effort" can also mean increasing spending.

Anonymous No. 16203756

>>16202867
>clickbait
which part exactly?

Anonymous No. 16204278

>>16203742
I don't think it would take 5 times as much effort as it would take just changing the teaching approach. Teaching math purely with numbers is a big part of the problem, in my opinion. I was homeschooled up through middle school and learned math using lots of visual aids and physical examples, it was very hands-on and tactile and gave me a firm mental basis for thinking about mathematical problems. When I went to high school I was miles ahead of everyone in math and picked up new math concepts way faster than most other kids, who all learned math as pure numbers on paper. When you just have kids sitting down and memorizing multiplication tables and generally only interacting with math as numbers on paper of course you're going to have a lot of kids that just don't get it and never will.