Image not available

850x436

Importance-of-dee....png

๐Ÿงต To those who may doubt the efficacy of deep breathing - it isn't just in your head:

Anonymous No. 16226678

I used to really doubt that breathing deeply did anything; like a lot of people I kind of scoffed at the idea that if you're feeling anxious or stressed, you can just breathe and it'll calm you down.

But the reason breathing is such a core component of meditation is that it's very, very effective.

Deep breathing (particularly exhaling), is linked to:

Regulating the responses of the autonomic nervous system (an unconscious part of the peripheral nervous system involved in the fight or flight response)

Enhances the response of the vagus nerve, which in turn:

Activates your parasympathetic nervous system, which slows your body's fight or flight and calms it down physiologically

You can do some googling, but there is enough evidence to show that deep breathing is effective in that it is your conscious way of communicating with your body's unconscious responses to anxiety and stress. Understanding that may be one way of improving meditation efficacy.

also, HUGE PROTIP:
>A quick way to reduce stress, anger and anxiety is to fill the sink with cold water, hold your breath and dunk your face in it. There is a reflex triggered by the holding of breath and the cold on nose and forehead that lowers your heart rate and other physiological symptoms of stress, anger and anxiety. It is part of TIPP and is a proven way to calm down. Even helps your body wind down for sleep, which is why washing the face with cold water in the morning is counterproductive to waking up. A hot shower is a better way, in terms of waking up.

Anonymous No. 16226797

ive tried all sorts of breathing relaxation techniques and they don't really do anything for me. in fact if i wear a pulse oximeter amd do them they usually make my heart rate faster for some reason. after a while my heart pounds in my head

Anonymous No. 16227113

this beats the circ -

Anonymous No. 16227160

>>16226678
yep