Image not available

800x478

20160621-x_Taekwo....jpg

๐Ÿงต Taekwondo

Anonymous No. 117037

Opinions on Taekwondo? I know it's not considered a good martial art for self defense, but I guess it's good as a sport.
WTF or ITF? Which one has less injuries? Which one is more fun to do?

Anonymous No. 117267

>>117037
ITF is more hardcore compared to WTF. I personally am not a big fan of modern TKD. The old school (pre-Olympics) variations of TKD was more committed to body conditioning and fighting. It was nowhere near as effective as Muay Thai or Dutch Kickboxing, but it was leagues ahead of today's slap fest.

Anonymous No. 117300

Glorified Korean foot tag.

Anonymous No. 117336

Look up Serkan Yulmaz

I did it for 18 weeks. Was fun, teaches basics of proper kicks. Good philosophy behind it. I would use it to master 3-4 good kicks and then move on to other arts and pick their good aspects.

Anonymous No. 117460

>>117037
Most people underrate it and understandably as it has deteriorated substantially since the 90s.

Truth is though that most idiots don't understand the difference between "knowing how to fight" and "style."

Knowing how to fight is knowing through experience how the body works and how to counter your opponent's techniques.

Style is what you yourself use against your opponents.

Most champion fighters only use a few techniques but, they're champions because they know how to counter and defend against their opponents.

Modern TKD wont teach you how to fight but, it will teach you some of the most powerful striking techniques out there. It will help you manage distance, which will by itself destroy anyone who doesn't understand distance and TKD will grant you an excellent footwork with a sense of balance applicable to any fighting situation.

For a novice wanting to defend themselves it's mediocre, for a skilled fighter it has exponentially greater usage.

Anonymous No. 117646

>>117037
Taekwondo is massively underrated, especially online. You will only make your striking better by training TKD, and it's one of the best (imo) martial arts to cross train for MMA and such. Obviously, owing in large part to the rules of Olympic tkd, it's not a complete martial art, but no martial art can be, and none should try to be.

It's arguably the most popular martial art in the world. As such, the quality varies dramatically between schools. This is where it gets a bad reputation. Avoid ATA if you can. WTF is better in my opinion. WTF tends to have better practitioners and teachers, and it has a larger talent pool. ITF sparring is not terribly different from WTF, and if you are super concerned about self defense, just go join a Boxing gym, or do MT Thai. That being said, just go to the best school nearest you, and above all pick something that you actually want to do. If you don't have a genuine interest in training, it's going to be hard to convince yourself to train when you don't want to.

In terms of self defense, a good school will usually try to give you some semblance of a balanced curriculum with training on leg kicks, hand techniques, and maybe some very light grappling. More than enough to easily beat the average untrained idiot.

Anonymous No. 117653

>>117460
>>117646
How much has your mom spent on your 9th degree "black belt" progression? Master Kim driving a new Benz?

Anonymous No. 117657

Foot tag if it's the only martial art you do, if you take it and apply it with other martial arts it's actually got useful stuff.

Anonymous No. 117691

Thanh Le seems to be the only guy currently doing anything with it in MMA.

Anonymous No. 117723

>>117646

It is stupidly popular as a kids activity. Even ITF which doesn't have Olympic backing. Dunno why or how it got so popular into the late 90s until now. But worldwide karate is the biggest Eastern Martial Art to the point "karate" is still a synonym for all Eastern Martial Arts among normies.

Anyway Taekwondo is shit if you're above the age of 15/not doing it alongside your kids to encourage them. Just find a good K1/modern kickboxing gym.

Anonymous No. 122148

ITF as far as i know was developed by a korean general in some prison. Wtf was designed by a bunch of woodland sprites who love dancing with padded armour on. Comes down to which one will suit you best

Anonymous No. 122170

>>122148
Couldn't be more wrong.

The guy who started ITF was one of the same 12 guys who started WTF. He just left the organization over internal matters.

They were all just Karate guys who lived in Korea.

Anonymous No. 122242

>>117037
I recently came back from a 10nyear absence to do ITF TKD again. I notice that my agility and striking accuracy remains pretty decent but I have trouble connecting different techniques quickly enough and that my coordination is lacking.
How do I improve at sparring? I got paired up against a pretty overweight blackbelt and I feel like I can overpower him in terms of speed and power but I get overwhelmed by punching barrages and the weight of his kicks pretty quickly. Do I just train more and improve, which I obviously will, or is there something fundamental I'm overlooking and should implement during sparring

Anonymous No. 122295

>>117646
>tkd fag comes into the MT gym I train at
>talks about his black and all the sparring championships he's won
>does a lot of talking in general actually
>"you see in TKD...."
>"we don't do things like that in TKD..."
>ok ok anon are going to spar or not
>gets absolutely destroyed by light sparing by the newest newfag at our gym
>leaves and never returns
>I've seen this happen on 4 occasions, all with different tkd practitioners
Meme style

Anonymous No. 122317

>>117653
>>122295
Tkd is terrible on its own and most people that do it today are pussies because anyone who wants to fight would just do kickboxing, but I understand what those posters mean. If you are already a good fighter tkd is one of those things where you could spend a couple of months working on spin kicks with a legit instructor and then just blast someone in your next fight. Like tkd is better than kyokushin in that modular way, but kyokushin is better overall kind of a thing. But if only doing one striking art you wouldn't do either of them.

Anonymous No. 122429

>>117646

Lol no. Tkd is literally the worst most pointless art to learn if you want to do MMA. It's far more efficient to go straight to Muay Thai for MMA striking.

If you only want to be a kickboxer then starting out in TKD as a kid before moving to unified/K1 kickboxing isn't bad. But there's little reason to do it if your aim is to learn how to fight especially above the age of 16.

Anonymous No. 122880

As just a sport it's fun but really fucking exhausting.
As a art form, the kicks are quite nice but everything else is meh.
As something to use for fighting it will leave you super ill-equipped unless you crosstrain extensively.

I don't mind it for what it is, and even find watching it's competitions mildly entertaining.
If you really love kicks then it is the thing for you. Kick to your heart is content.

Image not available

399x400

1667059271084399.jpg

Anonymous No. 123164

>>117037
For me, an active body stretching art.

Currently studying it.

Image not available

509x411

ohno.png

Anonymous No. 123177

>>117037
What the fuck am I supposed to do against blitz punches done by a fatass that leans into it with his full weight
Can't backkick fast enough on reaction yet

Anonymous No. 123222

>>123177
>tkd doesn't even teach basic defense
Kekd and checked

Anonymous No. 123462

>>123177
>what is side-stepping?

Anonymous No. 123566

>>123177
>leans into it with his full weight
some of this >>123462 with a turning kick to the stomach is always fun.

Anonymous No. 125424

Probably the least consistent art possible schools teach anything from what is basically knock down karate with throws to no contact point fencing and all will be called the same thing often even being in the same organization. Also ITF being the "good tkd" is a massive meme

Anonymous No. 125429

>>125424

Least shit I would say rather than good. ITF isn't a bad background especially for women say, who then move into real combat arts like Muay Thai, kickboxing, MMA in their later teens and 20s, looking at the number of women fighters I know who did ITF TKD as kids.

Anonymous No. 125439

I think the opposite: It's good for self-defense but awful as a sport, and no, MMAutists who think they're the same are wrong. I believe this because I've seen it work in "that streetz" in person but I've never seen TKD on its own function well outside of TKD sparring and competition.

There's a lot of mythology about the ITF vs WT (formerly WTF) divide. They were both invented by the same people and both were polluted by politics. Today despite having relative consolidation in organizations what's actually taught at the dojangs can vary widely and there's no telling if any TKD is for you without in-person judgement. Personally I think you'd have more fun AND fewer injuries at a MMA gym with taekwondoin instructors than the archetypical stripall dojangs, but that may very well be your one choice to have class depending on where you live.

Aesthetically I'm not fond of TKD. They changed their poomsae/hyung/taeguk just to make it look different and disguise the art's shotokan roots thanks to anti-Japanese sentiment, so their equivalent of kata or forms is dead and not very useful for study.

Anonymous No. 125471

>>125429
Yeah nah you fell for marketing

Anonymous No. 125491

>>125429
I wouldn't call MT a real fighting art. Any real fighting art includes a strong grappling or weapons component because those are the most important parts of self-defense. MT is situational striking.

>>125439
They didn't change due to anti-japanese sentiment, they changed because 1/3 of TKDs founders were Kung Fu practitioners (not Karate) and TKD was meant to be a hybrid art trying to recreate the feel of Taekkyeon.

Anonymous No. 125492

>>125491
>1/3 of TKDs founders were Kung Fu practitioners (not Karate) and TKD was meant to be a hybrid art trying to recreate the feel of Taekkyeon.
I don't believe that at all and it smacks of nationalistic WT propaganda. The initial prevarication of the WT was in trying to claim that TKD is a 2,000-year-old indigenous martial art to Korea and the attempted association with taekkyeon came much later as a retcon to that tall tale. With there actually being a successful taekkyeon revitalization, however, it's telling that its governing organization denies any links to TKD at all. The proposed association with kung fu is also specious as no evidence exists that any of the kwan leaders had any real exposure to CMA except for the Mul Duk Kwan and (marginally) the founder of Tang Soo Do. It's abundantly clear to anybody familiar that TKD is modified from shotokan, which is something that the Korean government has historically tried to cover up because they don't want to admit that the most popular martial art in their country from which a point of national pride was manufactured originated from something introduced during the Imperial occupation.

The WT only admitted to karate having anything at all to do with TKD when the internet made it easy to publicly call them on their bullshit, but I still remember surfing the web in the early 00s and seeing websites claim that TKD was fully invented in Korea in ancient times, that cave men used it to kill wild animals, and that the great soldiers of the Joseon dynasty could leap 20 feet in the air to jump-kick castle invaders off the tops of walls.

Anonymous No. 125503

>>125491
>I wouldn't call MT a real fighting art. Any real fighting art includes a strong grappling or weapons component because those are the most important parts of self-defense. MT is situational strikin

This is a TMA cope. No martial art that spends a significant amount of time on weapons actually teaches you how to fight. And as useful as grappling is, It is even more situational than striking. Someone that trains muay thai for a year is going to be way more capable of defending themselves compared to someone who spent a decade training in some LARP weapon art.

Anonymous No. 125506

TKD is good when you incorporate its kicks with something like Muay Thai, Dutch Kickboxing, Sanda, Savate, etc.

A guy at my old gym used to do Tang Soo Do which is a sister art to TKD. He would throw in a hook kick or spinning back kick once in a while with cut kicks and teeps to throw guys off-balance.

Anonymous No. 125507

>>125503
>muay thai guy puts a thug in da deadree clinch
>gets his kidneys stabbed a dozen times because the guy had a switchblade

Anonymous No. 125510

>>125492
I've also heard claims that Yudo (what the Koreans call Judo) derives from Korea...in an oblique ancient way

Anonymous No. 125518

>>125503
Grappling doesn't always mean ground. Grappling also means being able to grab a dude's gun hand before he shoots you.

Any idiot with a gun is automaticly more dangerous than the average MT guy. That's just how reality works. Weapons are the only "real" combat martial art.

Image not available

640x640

1663178577660103-1.png

Anonymous No. 125531

>>125518
>Grappling also means being able to grab a dude's gun hand before he shoots you.
>has the nerve to talk about reality

Anonymous No. 125585

>>125507
You are probably going to get stabbed in that situation no matter what martial art you do. At least with muay thai you have a chance to knock them out quickly and get the fuck out of there before the knife gets pulled.

Anonymous No. 125586

>>125518
Do you honestly think that unarmed confrontations don't happen? Not every self defense situation you are going to find yourself in is always going to involve a knife or gun. And if it does disarming someones weapon is very high risk and will most likely end up with you shot or stabbed. Instead of spending time doing RBSD drilling low percentage techniques like gun disarms with willing partners you would be better off doing a combat sport and getting used to actually being able to use techniques against someone who is actually trying to attack you. Martial arts without sparring and pressure testing are useless.

Anonymous No. 125592

>>125585
This is your brain on CTE.

Anonymous No. 125597

>>125586
If you carry a knife or a gun then yes it will. Also, said nothing about disarming, just holding the to prevent them drawing first.

Anonymous No. 125607

>>125592
In self defense your priority should be to end the fight quickly and escape. Striking gives you the best opportunity to do this.

Anonymous No. 125611

>>125597
The skillset your describing sounds way more situational than learning basic striking.

Anonymous No. 125612

>>125518
>Weapons are the only "real" combat martial art.
A "real" combat art needs to include combat. Combat is fighting whether armed or unarmed. Drilling is not fighting. If your martial art only does drills it is not a "real" combat art. Sparring is the closest thing your gonna get to fighting in a controlled environment. And yeah street fights are different and have no rules and all that but at least combat sports give you experience dealing with an aggressive opponent that is actually trying to hurt you. Someone who only does RBSD is going to freeze up in a real fight because they never did any pressure testing. Also, give a boxer a knife and he is going to be way more deadly with it than someone training some meme weapon art because he will actually have speed, reflexes, and distance control.

Anonymous No. 125614

>>123177
Lean into a side kick or front kick and blast him as he is coming in.
If he is really big then basically use the kicks to push off him to maintain distance then counter.

Or you can do a jumping spinning back kick, which is devastating to people who rush in.

Anonymous No. 125617

>>125506
>with cut kicks and teeps
Those are also in tang soo do but just called something else.

Anonymous No. 125662

>>125607
You are drastically underestimating just how much of an advantage a weapon is in a real situation unless the wielder doesn't actually know what to do with it and hopes that brandishing and attitude will do the trick. It's such a gulf that it's moot whether your striking comes from the dead forms of some "meme" weapon art with air kicks or superior mooey Thai shins conditioned one million times on banana trees and alive tested with pressure-ness. You're fucked if your run-jutsu is weak.

Image not available

1200x900

607.jpg

Anonymous No. 125690

>>125518

>weapons are the only real combat art

I live in provincial Britain. No one carries a weapon except inner city black kids in gangs. What you do get and need to be prepared for is a fuck load of drunken post-pub violence from middle aged white dudes at weekends. Unarmed Martial arts are absolutely a combat art and necessary one.

Anonymous No. 125745

I miss tkd so much, wish i didnt stop it in 2014. but now i am already 30 year old

Anonymous No. 125762

>>125745
Anyone else misses tkd?

Anonymous No. 125763

>>125762
Not really, since I still do it.

Anonymous No. 125769

>>125762
I only formally did it for a few months as a kid.
It was fun but I like karate more.
I like to kick but I LOVE to karate chop suckers and punch boards in half.

Anonymous No. 125940

>>125762
Once you move on to other martial arts TKD doesn't seem as fun anymore.

Anonymous No. 126804

>>122170
almost there. general choi was the head of the kukkiwon and technically the primary founding father of taekwondo. All the leaders of the kwans were doing shotokan karate, hence the similarity in forms, techniques, uniforms, and movements. choi got too popular and the president at the time was worried about a coup so decided to exile him on some trumped up charges. While he was hiding out in Canada w his wife, North Korea came knocking, and asked him to make a different version of TKD for the DPRK. ITF was born.

There aren't really ITF schools in south korea but there's plenty everywhere else. The sparring rules technically aren't full contact and the clown shoes look gay af but in my experience I've seen more ITF guys transition better into kickboxing/other full contact striking sports than WT guys.

In GENERAL, since the focus of most Taekwondo schools in the US is to teach a school-specific "curriculum" for a "belt test" that that specific school came up with, schools are going to be inclined more towards creating new color belts before students are deemed "ready" to take the Kukkiwon poom/dan certs. Competitions, whether it's demo, forms, or sparring, is secondary. Becoming a student instructor and passing arbitrary belt tests is more important, hence why most "black belts" in tkd aren't athletes.

There is a slightly more straightforward route to the Olympics and other collegiate or professional avenues of competition in Korea for students, but it still suffers from the same problems as American schools, especially when Korean guys who set up shop in the states go back to the motherland and try to spread McDojo-style business models.

Anonymous No. 126806

>>123177
if you're doing itf, punch him in the face.
if you're doing WT, push kick to the torso nigga. work on your flexibility and push kick or side kick to the face. If you're trying to cut down time on your back kick, incorporate the lead/pivot foot step that loads your weight onto it into your basic l step footwork. Samart Payakaroon used the L step circling to be able to both check kicks at any point of the motion with either leg and either be loading the lead leg or rear leg for a round kick, but the same circling motion w l steps can be used with spinning techniques AND making it harder for your retarded opponents to blitz.

Also I've only recently started doing national stuff and barely got bronze at the president's cup's "world class" (just means head contact allowed, gay) so take my advice w a grain of salt.

Anonymous No. 126807

daily reminder that the Kukkiwon's black belt cert prep time is 1 year. Any american school that makes you take 3-4 years or special lessons to earn a black belt is just sucking your spinal fluid dry.

Do you want to train actual TKD shit? find some washed out sabum or competitor with a judge's cert to can train you, test you, then file a kukkiwon cert app on your behalf. Train hard for a year, get your shit, and decide whether to continue or not.

Anonymous No. 126808

Taekwondo is massively overrated

I'm of the opinion that rules make styles. The rule that says you can't hit the opponent in the back allows fighters to throw the most careless impractical kicks and land completely off balance and vulnerable to a kick to the back in other ruleset or street fight.
Same for low kicks, which Karate also bans.

Anonymous No. 126922

>>126808
>Taekwondo is massively overrated

By who? Soccer moms?

Anonymous No. 126944

>>126922
by /xs/

Anonymous No. 127016

>>126808
>>126922
yeah no one gives a shit about tkd except
-kids who got brainwashed into becoming "student instructors" (slaves)
-trick kickers
-people who do real competitions (AAU doesn't count, retards) in sparring, poomsae, or demo

Anonymous No. 127585

>>122295
>Did tkd as a kid and teenager
>Early adult quit because I was deeply bored
>No challenge in practice itself, not even physically demanding for my out shape ass
>Start jogging and hitting the gym instead
>Some years later
>Go to some boxing classes
>Just the conditioning itself kills me
>Most of the time I go home after conditioning I was so tired
>Few light spars would hand me my ass

I wish my uni gym had box in it, I'd like to spar a bit more and longer.

Anonymous No. 127681

>>123177
make sure you're doing a "jump" back kick, if he's coming towards you, it'll give you more time to throw it

Also, just hit em with a front leg side kick to the face.

Anonymous No. 127782

>>117037
Taekwondo is alot of fun and a great way to stay in shape and increase your athleticism. If your goals are fitness and fun I would highly reccomend it. If you want to learn to fight for real though I would stay away and do boxing, kickboxing, or muay thai instead.