Image not available

2500x1666

edc3dc_fca972c54b....jpg

🧵 Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 117064

What is a reasonable belt progression for taekwondo?

I never did martial arts myself, but my daughter has been doing TKD for a couple of years now. We moved about a year ago and it seems like the new place she's going is doing belt tests really fast. She's testing for a new belt every 2-3 months which gives me a little bit of a McDojo vibe, but I don't have enough experience to really know.

Anonymous No. 117076

>>117064
TDK is notorious for like, 5 year old black belts. I think the average black belt time is like 3 years. So it's not your gym in particular that has a fast progression time.

Anonymous No. 117465

>>117064
Japanese + Korean system = Blackbelt knows all and executes all techiques properly.

Western system = Blackbelt equals unrivalled martial god who has been training for twenty plus years.

No belt colour other than black matters, so look at everyone with a blackbelt in your daughter's class and judge them off the first system. Are their techniques impressive? Do they stumble or fall often? If th blackbelts suck it's a mcdojo, if they don't then ignore how often people grade.

Anonymous No. 117618

>>117465
This is true. A black belt in TKD is expected to know all the basic techniques, execute them properly, and be able to teach them to others. Once you reach black belt, that's when you actually start training "for real".

Also, for TKD specifically, you cannot get a real black belt until you are (at minimum) 16. Before then you can only get, at most, a junior black belt (poom, dan would be the full black belt).

Anyways, as far as determining if the school is a mcdojo, there are a few things to look out for. What is the curriculum like? 2-3 months is pretty fast for testing for a new belt, but that's not a sure sign. Shit like camo belts is usually a bad sign. If the instructor looks fit, that's a good sign. Does he have past accomplishments? Was he actually good at tkd?
If the school is Kukkiwon certified, that's generally a good sign. Of course, you need to judge on an individual basis. As the second post says, the quality of the students can be very telling. What do the black belts do? It might be hard for you to tell what is and isn't good, if you have never done any martial arts, though.
If you can, maybe try taking a class (most places will give you a free class or two, or heavily discounted) and report back?

>t. trained tkd for 13ish years at a good school

Anonymous No. 117619

>>117076
There was a mordbidly obese girl I knew in high school who would brag that she’s “been a black belt since I was 8 years old.” Somehow she thought this was impressive and not just embarrassing.

Anonymous No. 117789

>>117064
Belts don't matter in TKD. They're a money maker. Just pretend they don't exist. Like boxing or wrestling, the only thing that matters is "Is the coach safe to have around your kids?" and "Do his students win competitions?" (if competition matters to you).

>>117465
As I've gotten older, I honestly prefer the TKD and Judo (in Japan and Korea) way - where a black belt just means that you can execute the basics, and have done some competition.

Anonymous No. 120962

>>117064
Literally who the fuck cares. Martial arts competitions are arguably a fucking slap fight to try to get a light touch on someone's stomach or the padded part of their head. Real fighting scenarios you will 99% of the time have to deal with a gun, knife, or other weapon that will wreck your shit and even if you do have a genuine hand to hand fight, mass is 10x more important than if your punch or kick technique is perfect. A 250 lb muscular dude will slap the shit out of a 150 lb Taekwondo master.

If you want your kid to learn discipline, develop a sense of work ethic and accomplishment, make some friends, and have a fun story to tell when they're older, who the fuck cares and just let them do their thing.

If you legitimately want your daughter to be able to defender herself, get her some pepper spray and/or a gun when she's older and some time at the range to have a decent shot. Just being real, she's never going to be able to do shit against a competent male opponent of decent size without a weapon and training.

t. Taekwondo black belt recipient when I was a kid-teen, arguably one of the top of my class.

Anonymous No. 120966

>>120962
What an autistic post

Anonymous No. 120979

>>120966
Yeah, a rational assessment that caring about rank progression in a strip mall karate center is a waste of time to even think about, what a bunch of autism.

Fucking faggot.

Anonymous No. 121907

>>117064
The mentality in most belt styles is that black belt means you know the basics of the sport as a whole and can start training for real.

Kyokushin and BJJ black belt: "I know what I'm doing."
Most other sports: "I know what I'm suppose to be doing."

Anonymous No. 121909

>>120979
lol calm down

Anonymous No. 121926

>>120962
>>120979
The autism is strong with this one.
>>117064
In my experience, belt tests more than twice a year is getting shady. General litmus test for mcdojo is, black belts being given to children at all, teens are ok, and/or if there is no sparring. It's ok to me if its just point based. But if a dojo straight up only does form/kata, fuck that shit.