Image not available

600x360

Taekwondo-trainin....jpg

🧵 Taekwondo tournament

Anonymous No. 117719

So I have been doing taekwondo since Spring of 2021 and i'm now a blue belt entering my first tournament. I haven't been training like I should and only have a week please give me some of the best advice you can give because I want to win this tournament or come close. Also what training should I do to help?

Anonymous No. 117811

>>117719
Just spar.

Anonymous No. 117905

>>117719
IFT or WT?

1.) Distance management is possibly the most important part of striking arts. You should know EXACTLY what distance you can use what kick. Trying to use a longer range move from too close will just off-balance you and trying to use a closer range move from too far will leave you open.

2.) Do NOT exclusively dodge backwards. Side steps are your friend and prevent you from being driven to the edge/corner of the ring.

3.) I personally find it helpful to watch the opponent's lead shoulder, as almost any kick they throw will be telegraphed there. The shoulder leaning back means the front foot is coming up. The shoulder turning to open the chest means the back foot is coming around. The shoulder turning the other way means the back foot is coming around the back for a spin kick. Whatever they do, that shoulder is going to move and tell you what's coming, so long as you're fast enough to react.

Anonymous No. 117907

>>117719
practise real martial arts you fucking faggot

Anonymous No. 118126

>>117907
Second
>t. 3rd dan black belt

Anonymous No. 118214

>>117905
WT

Anonymous No. 118274

>>118214
Then my advice still stands.

Anonymous No. 118300

>>117719
Study open and mirrored stances. Practice lateral movement since if you don’t have back n forth nailed you’re fucked already.
Get your range perception nailed down on the axe kick (and the ball of foot pivot version)

Anonymous No. 118883

>>117719
Did your tournament happen yet? If so, how did it go?

Anonymous No. 118895

>>117719
Best advice I can give you is to just relax. Never did TKD but have a lot of wrestling and BJJ matches. Once you get out there all the nerves melt away. Even if you don't win its a valuable experience to have.

Anonymous No. 118921

What tkd kicks are the most useful?

Anonymous No. 118927

>>118921
For point sparring: Sidekicks for distance management, fast round kicks when distance collapses, jumping kicks to the head of any variety because they're really big points.

For a real fight: Front kicks for distance management, round kicks to the legs or ribs, spinning side kicks to the body for power.

Anonymous No. 119084

>>118927
I’d like to learn some of the more useful tkd kicks without going through more useless bullshit than I need to, can I get those kicks in another system? Or would it be worth it to suck it up and just do tkd for a year?

Anonymous No. 119086

>>119084
Nothing you learn in a good TKD class is useless, though Karate blocks are debatable. From the second you walk in the door you should be kicking every second. TKD isn't considered ineffective because it has bad techniques, it's considered ineffective because it doesn't have any grappling components and doesn't punch to the head.

If you're going to be super critical of the art because of what people said online though, you might just want to go to a martial art where you don't have preconceived notions.

TKD is THE kicking art, western kick boxing developed out of Karate and TKD guys learning some boxing. MMA developed out of kickboxers learning wrestling and BJJ. Muay Thai had nothing to do with MMA originally, like most muay thai nuts on this board insist.

Anonymous No. 119094

>>119086
Some backstory, when I was younger I took a bit of a tkd and had trouble memorizing the forms and quit for a few reasons. I ended up drilling some basic jiujitsu stuff with a friend who practiced, and it helped me a lot in some real life altercations, and I had an easier time memorizing it. Me stumbling around with the kata and failing over and over to remember it made me look like a retard and it just wouldn’t stick for some reason like jiujitsu drills I practiced with my friend and applied when it counted.

From my brief time in tkd years back, I remember it dabbled in a lot of things, like some half assed punches, some debatable weapon forms, the kata, some ways to get someone’s hands off you, it was a little all over the place. I don’t doubt that a lot of what you learn in tkd has some sort of value, but like you said I see it as a kicking art and all I want to learn are those kicks. and I don’t know the most efficient route to do that. Something I’m also confused about is how many tkd kicks are purely tkd, and which are also taught in other styles like karate, muai Thai, etc. I respect the fact that tkd has solid kicks to learn but it’s all I’m interested in and I don’t know how to learn them while skipping everything else. I know that old tkd place is still around in my town but I don’t think there is a legit muai Thai gym anywhere by me. There is a mma gym that also teaches muai Thai lessons but something tells me that won’t be very high quality if it’s just some dude there who himself may try not have a few years experience.

Anonymous No. 119100

>>119094
That place you went to when you were younger was fake and the instructor wasn't qualified. I can tell because WT and ITF have very defined ways of doing things.

No WT TKD school would let you even touch a weapon before blue belt, most wont even have weapons at all, ever.

In a WT TKD class the only two forms you would be doing as a white belt look like "Front kick, rotate 90 degrees, front kick, rotate 90 degrees, repeatx2." If that's not what you were doing then you're being given improper forms. Forms are just a drill of techniques in series, if you stumble over then then you need to improve your footwork.

Forms should always be done in the last 5-10 minutes of class and never more.

A WT class should always start, warm up, stretch, drills, sparring practice, end with forms.

As for where else you can learn TKD kicks you only have a few options; 1. Luck out and find a kickboxing school where the instructor has a TKD/Karate background, 2. Find a Karate school where the instructor does a style that has them, 3. Find an Sanda or Shaolin kungfu school those tend to include all TKDs kicks.

I'll be honest with you, the best part about kicks is you actually get a lot of feedback from the technique itself as to whether you're doing it right, which basically makes them something you can learn off youtube if need be. I think there was a guy called Van Roon and another ginger ninja who did good videos on all the higher technique kicks.

Anonymous No. 119105

>>119086
>Muay Thai had nothing to do with MMA originally

Not entirely true there were muay tahi guys in the early ufc they just weren't from thailand obviously

Anonymous No. 119294

>>119100
I think I practiced for a while at a ATA gym. the forms had stuff like high blocks and punches and stuff in them, and I think you may have moved around in a square or something repeating it. I couldn’t memorize it and got frustrated because I just wanted to spar or practice individual moves.

Anonymous No. 119300

>>119294
As I said, bogus gym is your problem.

You want a qualified World Taekwondo blackbelt who is registered under the WT branch for your state/region.

If the form you sign when you go in isn't World Taekwondo, then it's a bad club.

Anonymous No. 119305

>>119300
I want to learn good axe kicks, round kicks, back/side kicks, and maybe some more risky stuff like a spinning heel kick or tornado kick. (Last one just for fun) would I get that from now kickboxing gyms or would it need to be something like WT? How many months would it take to learn all of this stuff through WT? I really like the axe kick a lot and I think that’s also in karate along with some of the tkd kicks I mentioned but I’m not sure. But karate seems to have the same problem with mcdojos. feels hopeless

Anonymous No. 119313

>>119305
TKD is the easiest place to find where you can learn these, but they may try to pace your training. Just keep asking to practice the ones you like.
"As for where else you can learn TKD kicks you only have a few options; 1. Luck out and find a kickboxing school where the instructor has a TKD/Karate background, 2. Find a Karate school where the instructor does a style that has them, 3. Find an Sanda or Shaolin kungfu school those tend to include all TKDs kicks."

Anonymous No. 119568

>>119313
legit kickboxing gyms outside of big kb regions like (continental) europe, southeast asia, and east asia, tend to be uncommon. sanda has p much faded into obscurity w/ a whopping 10.000 practitioners in china, so gl finding a good sanda gym literally anywhere. the typical tkd dojang may have its share of tma problems like the typical karate dojo does, but if i were to take ramsey dewey's word for it (since he has a black belt in tkd and used to teach it), and based on my 2.5 years of hapkido training (has some overlap w/ tkd, esp in regards to the kicks), at least they spar (most dojangs anyway).
>>119305
ur best bet indeed is to visit a tkd school in ur area. call them up, schedule an introductory class, actually get out there and train (that's more than most ppl on this board do, so u can take pride in that), and tell us ur experience. we'll help u figure out if it's legit or not and we can always give u additional advice, like what martial arts/combat sports to cross train in if u find ur school's curriculum lacking in a given area.

and don't listen to the trolls giving u crap for wanting to practice tkd. as long as u're aware of what it is u're learning and why, u're aware of ur own abilities, the limits of the art and u, the practitioner, and most importantly u stay out of trouble, u're good. u can always cross train in a "REAL martial art" like muay thai, kickboxing, mma, boxing, sanda, etc if u so choose.

Anonymous No. 119673

Hope you did well at your competition anon. At a certain point, it might make sense for you to find someone who is certified as an int'l judge who can rank up your dans and just train you, if your school makes people do bs activities to add more meat to belt tests without actually teaching anything.

I think the Ahn's TKD school based in NJ, which legit has some good US open forms competitors among their sabum ranks, has shit students and has them carry around eggs and pay close to a grand for a first dan cert. You know how much I paid? Like 70 bucks, because that's how much the filing fee fucking costs in Korea.