Image not available

487x582

dutch_combat_9.jpg

🧵 /ratg/ Rough and Tumble General

Anonymous No. 118197

Discuss the ancient and barbaric fighting sport of American Rough and Tumble or Gouging general:
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gouging_(fighting_style)
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_wrestling

It doesn't get any hardcorer than this.

Anonymous No. 118251

>>118197
It came from Scotland not America.

Anonymous No. 118260

>>118251
who care

Anonymous No. 118268

Is this why you made that other kind of shit thread last week asking about "the most brutal fighting style" in a really silly way?

Anonymous No. 118280

>>118268
Not me, but I did see that thread and it got my mind thinking about it earlier at work.

Anonymous No. 118387

I don't really understand how maiming people can be considered a "style"

Anonymous No. 118389

>>118387
It takes pride in barbarism.

Anonymous No. 118573

>>118389
based

🗑️ Anonymous No. 118600

>>118197
https://github.com/reach-the-sky/GPT3-Chatbot

How to fuck up the GPT 3 Bot that runs Biden mental programming scripts.

Anonymous No. 120445

scariest art yet

Anonymous No. 120521

>>118197
reminds me a lot of praying mantis kung fu. You're just ripping peoples dicks off, kicking their knees in backwards, plucking eyeballs and snapping arms. Looks like fun stuff

Anonymous No. 120524

how is it any different from classical pankration? also how would you practice this

Anonymous No. 120551

>>120524
Pankration had rules and did not revolve around maiming your opponent. Biting the balls off your opponent was fair game in rough and tumble. Pankration was pretty free form but attacking the groin and other ripping and gouging moves were off limits. In fact, there's a vase painting showing a ref about to strike an athlete for reaching for his opponent's eyes.

>>118387
It's not really. It's an old duelling custom that developed a particular "meta." Removing an eye turns out to be the best and quickest way to make someone submit, so they got pretty good at it. But there doesn't seem to be any formalized instruction or curriculum or anything we moderns expect from a martial arts style.

As far as why people ever did it, I can only conclude that backwoods people in the past were orders of magnitude tougher and were used to tolerating way more pain. Men also took their pride much more seriously, hence the universal custom of duelling. Their willingness to die or get permanently fucked up over some petty dispute seems insane to us, but they took it deathly serious and if someone shamed you, you just had to kill that guy. It was preferable to die than to let someone insult you with no answer.

Anonymous No. 120552

>>120524
>how would you practice this
As far as I know they didn’t. They just went ham when the time came.

Anonymous No. 120554

>>120551
It should be worth mentioning that whether an organized fight was to be fisticuffs or rough and tumble was a matter agreed upon before hand. Southern gentlemen were expected to fight like gentlemen when agreed upon.

>it was preferable to die than to let someone insult you without answer
I’d make an autistic addendum to that. For these people their reputations were their entire life. If you lost face you would lose your status and be socially shunned by higher society. The point of the duel often times was not to actually kill or be killed (though a lot of that did happen) but to show your honor (ie; your status and reputation) was of so much value to you that you were in fact willing to kill and die for it.

Anonymous No. 120555

>>120554
>someone shames you
>try to walk it off
>spend rest of your life seen as a weak loser who is constantly being harrased by others for what he has because they know he wont stand up to them

or

>someone shames you
>attack them
>either they die and you gain the respect of others
>either you die and you still earn the respect of willing to stand up to a foe, but doesn't really matter because you're dead

I'd take my chances fighting since it's almost 2 out of 3 times I'll theoretically win

Anonymous No. 120559

>>120551
>Pankration had rules and did not revolve around maiming your opponent
you could tap out but there was absolutely maiming, people died in the olympics, and many competition involved cestus

Anonymous No. 123948

Is there any good guides on gouging?
Books?