Image not available

895x886

Boxer.jpg

๐Ÿงต Am I too kind hearted in sparring?

Anonymous No. 118725

FYI I did some sessions of Dutch sparring and they are different from the more technical and normal tame spar and I can sense its usefulness, but when I spar technically, I never give powerful punches to the head (no reason to, don't wanna hurt my partner's brain senselessly) so I might just up the strength on my kicks to the lower body and such but the opponents usually go pretty rough in on kicks and punches to the face (I manage to dodge them sometimes) why?
I thought we were training to fight during sparring sessions not just going head hunting, I don't understand why this behavior is so prevalent, how do I deal with this?
I avoid letting their behavior get a hold of me and start beating ourselves up, but why it be like this?

Anonymous No. 118741

>>118725
That's dutch sparring b, that's how they do it. Go to a muay thai, mma or kickboxing gym for lighter sparring. Just gonna have to nut up and hit them hard in the face if they're hitting you hard in the face. It's the only way for them to start respecting your strikes. You can start getting more technical after they've got some caution and know they can't just swing on you without retaliation.

Anonymous No. 118793

>>118725
Some people are just fucking idiots man. They wont ever compete so this is as serious as it gets for them. You just have to avoid them. Try explicitly stating before hand that you're just going light and if they don't like that then no one is forcing them to spar with you. You can learn just as much shit by sparring technically if these bozos wanna get CTE from a hobby that's their business. Muay-Thai is really good with reasonable sparring. They go super light because fighters in Thailand would literally fight every week. Yet when it comes down to it they're killers.

Anonymous No. 118809

Yeah Dutch style is famous for being a lot rougher than the pure Thai stuff. It makes for tough fighters, but I hope you go pro if you're willing to take damage like that.

Anonymous No. 118846

Are you planing to go into pro-fights and make money off it?
If not then dutch style hard sparing fails the cost benefit analysis.
Most injure out of such training and end up losing significant progress for nothing.

๐Ÿ—‘๏ธ Anonymous No. 121291

>>118809
Dutch vs Thai style
Whose the best

Anonymous No. 121819

>>118725
>I never give powerful punches to the head
That's how it should be in sparring, only monkeys and retards go full out during sparring.

>I don't understand why this behavior is so prevalent, how do I deal with this?
My nigga, you have to either deck them in the face or injure them.
No other way around it, same thing happening in bjj gyms in eastern europe.
Some retards just train to fuck around and find out, and some just spar worse the longer the sparring goes on.

Anonymous No. 121866

>>121291
Thai if you're a tiny 125 Ib brown asian
Dutch if you're a gigantic 6'4 white man

Anonymous No. 122321

Where to find these places? I want to spar hard but the places around here are all pussified.

Anonymous No. 122323

>>118741
>mma
Do mma gyms go for light sparring usually? That's interesting. I knew Muay Thai gyms usually spar lightly, but not mma.
I'm doing bjj right now, and I wanna learn how to strike eventually, mainly because I think it's cool, and because I could buy a punching bag and replace my current cardio with that, but I dont want concussions, CTE, or whatever.
I have no MT places near me, but I'll check for mma ones, also it would complement my bjj training.

Anonymous No. 122324

>>121291
The thais are better. Sorry but true. Dutch style is famous for their toughness but training that hard is just stupid in the long run. Something the thais figured out a long time ago. It's also something the dutch stylists come to realize when they're 35 and can't remember what they ate for breakfast.

Anonymous No. 122325

>>122323
Gonna vary wildly depending on the gym, but in general unless you're out in the county at some redneck gym where no one gives a fuck, people spar light with striking. Grappling can be hard or light depending on the gym culture but groundwork tends to go much harder than standing. Sparring with ground n pound seems very rare, basically only for pros and aspiring pros. Your MMA coach will probably discourage you and your partner even if you can find one willing.

Anonymous No. 122371

>>118846
>Most injure out of such training and end up losing significant progress for nothing.

this hit close to home. had to take a break from training at a local kb gym (live in the netherlands) after only 3 classes bc my balls started hurting too much after getting accidentally kicked in the boys both sparring sessions (they had me spar the v first class, despite me barely knowing the basics, and the third class i told the head instructor i don't wanna spar til i have the basics down first, so i just got my reps in on the heavy bag focusing on technique).

tbf i made the grave mistake of not wearing a cup (completely forgot about the necessity of a groin protector in combat sports, striking-focused ones especially), but even so, u shouldn't assume everyone's wearing one, newcomers in particular. hard sparring if everyone's always wearing a cup during training would be one thing, but such an assumption could prove quite dangerous in my case. evidently, ppl not quite familiar yet w/ the sport can gloss over some of the dangers.

now, ofc i'm at fault for not adequately protecting myself, but this prob wouldn't have happened if they did light, technical sparring by default, as they would have more of their brain capacity being used to improve their position, aim, and execution of techniques.

now i've been out of training for a couple months after effectively just a couple weeks of training (3 classes, once a week). needless to say this is highly inefficient. i thought maybe it's just this gym in particular, but i'm relieved and simultaneously worried that this problem is common throughout dutch kb.

as many problems as there were at the old hapkido school i used to train at, even tho we had sparring rounds focused on striking (looked like a mix of tkd/tang soo do/jun fan jkd p much) every couple weeks on average, at least we went light. even w/ the elements of bullshido (pressure point attacks, "reviving" an unconscious person w/ korean magic (don't ask), [cont]

Anonymous No. 122372

>>122371
[cont] defenses against wrist grabs/rape chokes/etc (compliant drills), and a general misunderstanding and misapplication of typical tma techniques (the outside block w/ forearm, for example)), i'm actually considering going back to training in hapkido. i never thought i'd say this, and it pains me that i may have to switch to a different gym AGAIN, but i'd choose healthy, safe training in sth maybe not as effective that i can train in as often as i want for as long as i want and which won't cost me my balls, over sth that makes me a strong, tough, athletic, aggressive fighter at the cost of a testicle or too.

t. slightly swollen epididymis anon

inb4 nofights who haven't trained in either art sperg about how tma don't work and dutch kickboxing is the best bla bla bla

Anonymous No. 122394

>>122371
This is 100% because you didn't wear a cup. it has nothing to do with anything else.

Anonymous No. 122482

>>122324
I'm 29 never trained and I can't remember what I eat for breakfast 95% of the time

Anonymous No. 122483

>>122394
>>122371
Dude how is it that people don't wear cups when training any combat sport? I swear literally no one at my gym wears one except me wtf?

Anonymous No. 122513

>>122482
Lay off the weed maybe

Anonymous No. 122517

>>122513
I've been clean from everything for 6 years