Image not available

2000x1360

5643665745646745.jpg

๐Ÿงต Untitled Thread

Anonymous No. 119328

Help out an illiterate person.
I want to buy a bike for a 20km road trip every day, which it is mostly with pavement with the exception of a few part that are on dirt.
I can only afford a $600-$700 dollar bike.
So far I've only found these two:
- Cannondale Trail 8
- GT Avalanche Sport 29
Which one would /xs pick? also you can recommend another bike that is within this price range, but keep in mind that i live in France and for some reason is kinda difficult to get the most known brands.

Anonymous No. 119379

>>119328
Back to /n/
/n/egro

Anonymous No. 119471

>>119328

Consider getting a road bike if it's mostly pavement -- don't worry about riding it on dirt, it'll be fine. Maybe a Specialized Allez?

Anonymous No. 119559

>>119471
I agree. Lots of people think they need a suspension to protect their glass wrists, but a suspension just adds weight and is another part to maintain that someone who doesn't know shit about bikes will ignore.
At OPs price range, I recommend anything by Marin bikes if they're just as affordable in France as they are in the US. But since OP is European, I recommend a Canyon Roadlite.

now, OP, I know what your next question is, you're going to ask me if you should get one with a chain or belt drive. Belt drives are almost no maintenance so if you really don't want to deal with chain maintenance and wear, and you can afford the belt drive, then get that. However, it is from my experience that mechanical failures that happen when commuting are always tire punctures, never something in the drivetrain unless you're an /n/fag who is riding around on a 40 year old shitbike he pulled out of the trash that's been fixed up with garbage aliexpress components(yes, they really do this). I recommend going tubeless if there are a lot of tiny thorns in your area like there are in mine. Schwalbe Marathon tires come highly recommended for commuting since they've been tested and perfected by the Germans. In the US, they're all you'll find on rideshare bikes because the companies don't want to waste money on replacing tires or having bikes out of commission with flats so they use them because they're indestructible.
Yes, I know you think you need a mountain bike and knobby tires because you'll be riding on baby dirt paths. You'll be just fine without a suspension and with street tires. I've done harder trails on 28mm wide street tires on my fully rigid gravel bike and I watched other riders do more with less.

Anonymous No. 122763

>>119328
Don't get suspension. Read topnigger.ueuo.com and get a hybrid, specifically one of the hybrids recommended there.
If going Cannondale, get a Quick, not a Trail
If going GT, definitely do not get an Avalanche, that is for mountain biking. If going GT, get a Transeo Sport (the one WITHOUT a suspension fork, not the Elite or Comp)
Suspension is completely unnecessary for the riding you want to do and it will be heavy as fuck and make you go slow as fuck. Suspension belongs on proper mountain bikes, nothing else, and you do not want a mountain bike for that kind of riding (other than MAYBE a 1980s-1990s mountain bike with no suspension, that would be acceptable albeit not optimal).
Ignore the belt drive meme, it's dumb and gay.
>>119471
If he gets a Specialized he should get a Sirrus

Anonymous No. 124764

>>122763
fuck off with your spam site

Anonymous No. 127054

>>119328
i would just tell you to go to /n/ but they are a bunch of posers that only care about brands and meme shit and will tell yy to spend 5k on some meme gravel bike or something
i would sugest a cheap basic rigid mtb or hybrid
buy second hand you can get something far better far cheaper the bike market is fucked run that budget will get you some brand new hot garbage with a wonky frame and a bunch of plastic crap and gimmicks without anything important like a quick release seat clamp
tyres make by far the biggest difference to the "performance" of a bike
bikes normally come with garbage tyres so get some nice ones
nothing to knobby since ur probably not gonna need it

Anonymous No. 127055

>>119559
>shitting on junkbikes with aliexpress parts

Anonymous No. 127079

>>119559
>>122763
I emphasize what these two said about suspension - avoid that. A hybrid bike is probably the way to go. Since you only go over dirt a bit, you can go with a sleeker/faster one more oriented toward roads, but don't get the thinnest tires out there, a 28c is probably good. The dirt won't give you much trouble, although you should think about picking up a fender to avoid mud spattering all over you.
I also agree that Schwalbe Marathon is the way to go for tires. You can use whatever stock tires come with the bike until they wear out and then replace them with Marathons if you want, just to save a little cash, but they will ultimately save you money in the long run. My friend buys cheap tires because he thinks it saves him cash, but he gets a flat every three months or so (~$7-10 each time, plus the time to do the changing, plus the inconvenience risk of discovering a flat in the morning), whereas I get a flat about every year and a half (and usually from something that no tire could possibly resist).

I am curious about belt drives though, what makes them a meme? Seems like it could be useful if you encounter a lot of mud or rain. I've never tried one and am not familiar with the costs and pros/cons.