Image not available

1280x720

maxresdefault.jpg

🧵 Beginner Starting combat sports

Anonymous No. 123952

What should a beginner add to their regular fitness training to prepare for a combat sport- I don't have the money to sign up at the moment, running and skipping? do more crunches? I've heard to not punch when training alone as a noob

Anonymous No. 123964

>>123952
We have this thread all the time already do everyone a favor and delete this.

Anonymous No. 124000

>>123952
Anyone who told you not to punch is a moron. Just get a punching bag and hit it for 30 minutes to an hour every day.

Image not available

627x382

JackDempseyvsJess....jpg

Anonymous No. 124040

A lot of cardio, and a lot of stretching.
The thing that bites most newbies at my gym is them gassing out only a couple rounds into padwork, or pulling something while practicing a movement they're not used to. The second usually follows the first cause they get too exhausted to throw the technique right. I'd heavily recommend AGAINST getting into much bag work on your own as a newbie, too, because you're just gonna make it harder on yourself and your coach to fix self-taught bad habits that you don't even realize you're picking up. Wait until you've received some instruction before doing a bunch of bagwork on your own. Much easier to teach newbies how to work techniques when they're not fighting the shitty reflexes they instilled in themselves by wailing on a heavy bag in their garage like some dumb ape. Core work is also good, and you don't really have to be too picky about it, either: the more variation, the better. Don't forget to hit obliques. As for stretching, save the deep stretches for AFTER a workout. Pre-workout stretches should be dynamic movement-based ones, like leg swings and arm circles. Even if you're "just" doing boxing, you still need to stretch ALL your shit, cause punching correctly uses the full body. Starting with legs. ALSO also, don't feel bad about being horrible for a long stretch of time when you're first starting. If the gym you're training at is worth a shit, it'll have a culture where the more experienced guys help build up the newbies, and you'll get respect just for sticking with it. And if you're working with someone going too hard, check your fucking ego and ask them to go lighter. Injuries set back skill gains.

Source: 15 years in boxing, muay thai and K-1 style kickboxing.

Anonymous No. 124143

>>124000
WRONG. This is how you ingrain bad habits, there's a reason why it's a commonly said thing

Anonymous No. 124145

>>123952
Avoid junk food and soda. A good diet will up your health by so much. People honestly don't understand how much even your brain is negatively effected by eating bad.

Squats and situps, you need more muscle in your core and lower body than your arms.

Anonymous No. 124199

>>124143
If you're so scared to do something wrong that you don't even try it you're NGMI

Anonymous No. 124200

>>124199
Trying boxing means going to a boxing gym you stupid faggot. Go back to larping in your other self training thread.

Anonymous No. 124229

>>123952
If there is a fitness test to be a professional fighter like there is to join the military or some kind of NFL combine equivalent, what would it be like?

Anonymous No. 124230

>>124143
there's like a billion youtube videos, web pages and books that teach you what you should be doing, and what bad habits people usually do.
unless the dude's an absolute moron that doesn't research what he's trying to do, there's absolutely no problem with training alone if you have no alternative
literally just use your head, do research, and train like a dog

Anonymous No. 124231

>>124230
you can train yourself even without all that. Are you increasing your power and speed without fucking your tendons? Good you're making progress. Then you just have to start thinking about things like trying to make your movements smaller and harder to see coming and working in head movement, blocks and footwork.

I just can't comprehend the submissive slave mindset that causes someone to think they literally can't make any progress on learning a skill without being told what to do by another person. How are you just going to blindly trust whatever guy you come across to be able to teach you? What if he's a retard and doesn't explain it properly or his punches are mediocre? I would listen to the world champ if he wants to give me instruction on how to punch, but most trainers never even went pro let alone got any good at it.

Anonymous No. 124367

>>124230
>>124231
>they’re still coping
Lmao, go outside you autists. Engage in social activity.

Anonymous No. 124380

>>124229
Depends on the sport.
In reality, there is a test. Can you beat people who are good at fighting? Yes? Then you can become a professional fighter.

Anonymous No. 124580

>>124199
Beginners SHOULD be scared to start training wrong. That's why you start at a gym.

>>124230
No amount of YouTube videos can equate to the real experience of being coached in real life. Just me, I used think I could just hit my bag all the time and watch YouTube videos on technique. But a year of that ingrained so many bad habits that still linger (and have gotten me fucked up in sparring lol). You don't even understand why, when, and where to do these techniques if you don't get coached irl.

Anonymous No. 124601

>>124580
You ingrained bad habits because you were too stupid to understand that they were bad habits. Not everyone is stupid.