2.png

🧵 /sg/ - Ski General

Anonymous No. 126786

/sg/ - Ski General

Anonymous No. 126813

>>126786
Going skiing for the first time in a long time this year
Getting a helmet, is this any good?
https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/helmet/mission-mens-snow-helmet/MISSION-HELMET.html

Anonymous No. 126836

>>126813
If it fits you, sure. Go to a ski shop and try some on. Anything by the major brands (Smith, Giro, Oakley, a few others) will be good but different helmets fit different heads better.

Anonymous No. 126966

10 inches overnight. Let's go, boys.

Anonymous No. 127000

>>126966
based

Anonymous No. 127139

>>126813
Should be fine as long as it fits. Definitely get one of the MIPS ones though. They're a bit pricier but it's worth it.

Anonymous No. 127710

>>126813
No helmets unless ur going inverted
Hurt my head more in the park with a helmet than without to be quite honest...

Anonymous No. 127848

Fellas, I'm leaving to south lake tahoe tomorrow and I'll be skiing at Heavenly for the week. I'm really excited to ski again, I haven't gone in years so I hope I'm still decent at it.

Anonymous No. 127902

>>127848
Good luck man. I’m going to squaw in early March. Never skiied Tahoe so I’m excited

Anonymous No. 127924

Snowboarding is better

Anonymous No. 127938

>>127902
Nice mate. I'm planning to go to Squaw this winter/spring for the first time too. Going to finally get a chance to hit Schmidiots which has been on my list for a decade. Did you get an Ikon pass?

Image not available

1280x720

Death Chute.webm

Anonymous No. 127939

One of my favorite lines at Snowbird (few years ago)

Anonymous No. 128465

How hard is cross-country skiing? It seems like a good way to get around, how much distance should I expect to be able to do as a beginner?
Not done any skiing before but lots of winter stuff

Image not available

810x810

heavens.jpg

Anonymous No. 128743

i wish to drop lsd and ski again this winter, maybe backcountry up to top of my local mountain and gaze into the sunset

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221208_2038....jpg

Anonymous No. 128749

>>127902
>>127938
I just came back. I ended up buying a whole new kit there. I'm fucking broke now. It was a ton of fun but we cut our trip short because the mountain was closed today due to lightning so we just left and came back a day early.
I got fitted for new boots and only got to use them for one shitty run down a bunny slope before they shut down all the lifts and told us to get inside while they evaluate the situation.
I had to relearn how to ski since my skills went to shit and I couldn't use my ancient alpine skis. I picked up a pair of new Rossignol Experience 80 Carbon skis for $285 since they're from last season and they're so great. I'm looking forward to going back and making it a yearly thing again. I think I'll have to get a heated boot bag if I make a day trip out of it. The boots I bought(Atomic Prime 120 S GW) are impossible to get into when cold so I used the hairdryer from my hotel room to warm them up.
Fuck the drives in and out of South Lake Tahoe. My car did great but the delays were ridiculous. It took me 6 hours to get back home to SF Bay.

Image not available

2048x1371

NR-051210-020-MED....jpg

Anonymous No. 129408

Can someone recommend me some skis

6' & 165lbs
Ski occasionally in Europe and Scotland
Intermediate skier

Want something that's good on piste but can do a bit of off piste and cope with icy runs and chopped up snow at the end of the day. Can get good deals with Armada, Salomon and Atomic so only looking at those

Thinking:
Salomon Stance 84
Salomon QST 92
Atomic Maverick 86C
Armada Declivity 88C

Is it best to get something with a metal layer like Stance 84 for stability on the groomers, or is a softer ski best for turns?

Thanks.

Anonymous No. 129779

>>129408
I only know what skis work for me so I can't really advice specifics, but on soft vs metal, I think it comes down to preference. I charge hard as fuck yet I prefer soft skis even though a lot of people would probably say a hard charger would want stiff skis. Best thing you can do is demo some and see what you like.

Anonymous No. 129810

>>129408
I got Black Crows Ova and they are really good for anything except super heavy skiing in mountains and huge drops.

Anonymous No. 130016

>>126786
What are the good spots east of the Mississippi for ski/snowboard? Any that aren't stupid expensive?

Image not available

665x340

ski-trip-Sugar-Mo....jpg

Anonymous No. 130135

any NC fags here? Planning a trip in the next couple of weeks to try skiing/snowboarding for the first time but some of the ski resorts seem like they'd be stupid crowded. Any NC resorts that aren't like that?

Anonymous No. 130162

>>130016
>good skiing
>east of the Mississippi
lol
>>130135
Go on a weekday morning, and not during Christmas break. You'll be pretty much the only one there regardless of which resort you go to.

Anonymous No. 130245

>>130016
Smoky mountains have a resort (Ober-Gatlinburg). I never went because the elevation in the Appalachian mountains are not high enough for me. Too many bunny slopes and not enough good runs to warrant going.
My goto is usually the Sierra Nevada but I also heard that the Rockies were great skiing.

Anonymous No. 130280

>>130162
>Go on a weekday morning, and not during Christmas break
thanks brah. I can probably swing a weekday morning but doubtful about going after Christmas break. My brother is back in town for Christmas and I wanted him to go with me.

Anonymous No. 130318

Has anyone here did ski marathon\long distance race?
What was it like spiritually?

Anonymous No. 130351

>>127924
No one cares about your nigger larp sport

Anonymous No. 130364

>>129408
>Salomon's flagship line QST suffer from delamination issues
>Atomic still having shit build quality for all models except the bent chetler (which you shouldn't get for what you're wanting to do)

Just based on brand, Armada has the best skis between those 3

Anonymous No. 130498

>>130364
Ive never heard anyone complain of delaminating QSTs.

Image not available

700x420

10241.jpg

Anonymous No. 130538

>>126786
Alright /xs/, this will probably be one of the most batshit crazy posts ever, I don't really give a fuck. Appears there are enough NC/Southern fags lurking around here to make this post worth it. I really have no idea where else to post this on the internet, backcountry skiing is already niche and doing so south of the mason dixon might be downright stupid.

I've been fascinated with the idea of backcountry skiing after learning about it last year while out in CO. Now as a fag living in WNC, clearly I didn't think this was a thing here until stumbling deep in the rabbit hole last week. Decade old videos on Youtube and random forum posts confirmed that some people have tried to backcountry skiing here. Information on this is scare, but it seems when the right storm rolls around, it is most definitely possible.

Not exactly sure why I'm posting this, maybe its a cry for help, maybe there is another dipshit out there that wants to try this with me. Maybe someone else out here has tried this before and could point me the right way. Seems like there is just enough info out there to point to the possibility that I could make this work.

Image not available

612x408

Welcome sign.jpg

Anonymous No. 130539

>>130538
Scouting out potential areas. Obviously the south does not have a great climate for backcountry. Locations have to be high elevation (relative to the east) and mowed/bald summits since getting enough snow to fill in any wooded areas would be rare.

Possible locations

Bearwallow mountain (elevation 4200) - The weakest location here but most accessible by far. Been up here in the summer a few times, easy to reach, summit has been cleared and mowed, would only require IMO a half foot of snow to ski. Weak points here are the low elevation, runs would be fairly short, western facing slope and any good snowfall would only be around for a short window.

Max Patch (elevation 4600) - Seems based on digging around that MP might already see some action from skiers. Little bit higher and further north than Bearwallow, would help with conditions since 4,000 feet appears to be the lowest elevation for winter weather. I've yet to make my way up here but it seems like it could be one of the most promising areas.

Roan Mountain (elevation 6300) - High enough elevation to actually support a winter climate, one of the snowiest places in NC. Another bald with a summit that shouldn't require too much snow to ski. Again, haven't been here before so I don't know about the difficulty of reaching this peak in the winter.

Mt Mitchell (elevation 6600) - Bit of a wild card here. I've heard before that once upon a time they wanted to chop up the summit and put a ski resort here. I suspect that clear cutting an endangered ecosystem will probably not get past the ecoterrorists nowadays. Not sure about the possibility of downhill here since the forest is so dense but serious relief on this mountain, could be a decent place with a good telemark setup.

Anonymous No. 130803

>>126813
>>127139
I've got one of the MIPS version its solid.
The ear flaps just pull down to remove and expose the pouch to slide in audio chips which wasn't mentioned in the instructions FYI.

Anonymous No. 130829

>>130538
>>130539
You could try contacting whoever posted the videos or commenting on them asking for more info. Maybe ask around ski shops and ski clubs. Hell even ski patrollers at your local ski hill.
I’m in the Rockies but generally speaking my tour planning consists of checking avalanche conditions and filtering potential terrain based on that. I imagine there’s little to no avalanche risk, maybe contact the American Avalanche Institute and pick their brain. I think they’d be happy to nerd out on that. Instead of filtering based on avy/aspect/slope angle you could use the same tools for finding potential areas. Contour maps, CalTopo (online mapping), sentinel hub playground (recent satellite imagery: useful for checking if a place has snow). Also you may need less snow that you’d expect, but that depends on how much you want to avoid any ski damage.

Anonymous No. 130910

I last skied over a decade ago and my gf has never skied. Is it worth taking her on some dry slopes/indoor slopes to learn or just go straight to skiing lessons on a mountain?

Anonymous No. 130911

>>130910
lol why the fuck would you do that?
Where do you live?

Anonymous No. 130912

>>130911
UK. I have to fly to ski.

Image not available

800x800

agr_8285.jpg

Anonymous No. 130958

Could you guys help me decide which skis to get?

Ski in the Alps, need good all mountain skis, advanced skier. I want something that can go really fast and have great stability on piste but can also feel comfortable in mixed off piste terrain like trees etc. Preferably something that can perform reasonably well in bad snow conditions and crud. Something a little playful maybe. Not expecting too much deep powder

Currently looking at:
K2 Mindbender 89 Ti (or 90 ti from 2021)
Faction Dictator 2.0
Armada Declivity 92 ti
Volkl m6 mantra maybe too but it's a bit pricey.

Any tips?

Anonymous No. 130959

Went skiiing for the first time, no clue how people control their speed on anything beyond 30 degree inclination. Also everything about this sucks ass except from the actual skiing and lodge food (which cost way too fucking much). You spend a ton of money to be around around stuck up rich fucks and entitled children, waiting in line for 5-10 minutes of fun. Maybe other places are better but skiing seems to attract the absolute worst kind of people.

Image not available

4032x3024

35C6B27F-24F2-499....jpg

Anonymous No. 130967

Keystone :)

Anonymous No. 130996

>>130959
Iktfb. I encountered so many vindictive fucks, even as a kid if I bumped into someone, even if it was their fault (let me just cut across a busy piste without looking behind me) they would come back and bump into me on purpose.

Anonymous No. 131021

>>130958
I know the K2 for being a little more off-piste oriented, but I’d say you’re fine with either pair you choose. If you’re thinking of buying Faction, maybe try looking up the most recent Mana and Dancer series, which I think would fit your needs better (especially the Dancer). Also, go look in the “Outlet” part of their shop. It’s usually cheaper

Anonymous No. 131042

>>130538
fellow piedmont triad NC fag here and yeah that sounds fun and I think it'd be cool to try if I was more experienced. Wanted to try skiing the first time this weekend around Banner Elk but the weather didn't cooperate. I don't even know where you'd go backcountry skiing in NC, maybe around some public game lands or state/national parks? If not you'd be running into private property issues. Plus like other anons have said the woods can get so dense here and the snow can be sparse.

Yeah I know, incredibly unhelpful post, but just letting you know, you have anons out here.

Anonymous No. 131229

>>130958
Judging by the first 90% of your postMantras could be a good option but then you said you want playful in which case lolno to Mantras, or anything with a metal core.
My K2s (Obsetheds and Extremes) are fairly playful. I havent ridden Factions or Armadas but given their reputation they may be good. I would also recommend looking into Moment and Line.
I have never skied in Europe and snow/terrain is different here so bear that in mind when taking advice from me. I know what skis work for me but I am not an expert on what skis work best for others so dont put too much weight on my post

Image not available

467x534

Cqf5Hrp[1].png

Anonymous No. 131257

I'm 6' 185 and mostly skied groomers but want to move to going off-piste, not full backcountry though. I like going fast, small jumps (would like to go bigger), tight turns, and drops/steep.
Questions:
>Am I retarded for wanting to get twin tips if I don't really ski park. I really like the flexibility of them and want to ski switch more, but don't know if I want to be trading off reduced edge
>I'm coming from ~80mm width skis, my range so far has been 95-108mm, wondering if I should pick up >100s despite it being so much wider than what I'm used to
>How much does hardness matter? Most of the skis I'm looking at are 8-9 which is hard as fuck I guess but does that mean it's going to be a pain to ride unless I'm bombing 24/7? Would still like to carve with friends & family on groomers occasionally.
pic related are some Armada ARVs i'm looking at.

Anonymous No. 131276

>>131257
>>Am I retarded for wanting to get twin tips if I don't really ski park. I really like the flexibility of them and want to ski switch more, but don't know if I want to be trading off reduced edge
Not at all. Many/most of the skis that fit your skiing style are twin tips.
>>I'm coming from ~80mm width skis, my range so far has been 95-108mm, wondering if I should pick up >100s despite it being so much wider than what I'm used to
Absolutely. I would recommend a pair in the 115-120 range. You'll at minimum love them on pow days, but if you're like me (and get really into the gnarly terrain) you'll likely turn them into your everyday skis once you get used to them. Make sure to get something with a fair amount of rocker (but 100% rocker is not necessary; some camber underfoot can be great)
>How much does hardness matter?
I'm not sure what the number ratings i.e. "8-9" mean but it really comes down to personal preference. Personally, I charge hard as fuck but I prefer softer/more playful skis. I have been told that given my skiing style I should have something stiffer, perhaps with a metal core, and for some people that is what works, but for me I like softer skis. It really all comes down to preference and you should test out some skis of various styles, but imo stiffer skis are better for groomers and crud, whereas softer skis are better for the gnarly off-piste terrain (cliffs, chutes, etc) even if you're charging really hard. But that's just my opinion.
I recommend looking into Moment Wildcats, I haven't personally ridden them but have done some research and am leaning towards them being my next pair when I have to replace my K2 Obsetheds (which are the best skis in the world, but they're a decade old and no longer made).

Anonymous No. 131277

>>131257
>>131276 cont
As a kid I only skied on little midwest hills (all really shallow groomed runs, all that exists here). When I was around 18 or so (by which point I had been out west on ski trips a few times) I got my Obsetheds (117 underfoot, 50% rocker 50% camber). I took them out at a little midwest hill to try them out and since I had never been on anything wider than I think 85, and never been on rockers, I had to put in effort just to keep my skis parallel. It took a bit of getting used to. But after spending some time on them I got to love them so much and got so used to them that now I use them for everything, even icy days, carving groomers, etc, but of course my favorite type of skiing is chutes, cliffs, etc. I don't really ski in the midwest anymore, mostly just Utah.
If you want to see the kind of skiing I do, here is one of my edits: https://vimeo.com/371051760
No obligation to watch if you don't want to, but if you do want to see the kind of skiing I do it may give you some perspective on where my specific recommendations and preferences apply.

Anonymous No. 131279

>>131257
Also, where do you ski? That will have some impact,i.e. my recommendations in the above 2 posts favor western US skiing (Utah, Colorado, Washington, etc)
Whereas someone on the East Coast or in Europe may want something a bit stiffer and narrower just due to the different type of terrain and snow in those areas

Anonymous No. 131305

hit a rail this year. was good to conquer that fear, even though it was only a baby rail

then i hit my ribs on it the same day, but would def try again!

Anonymous No. 131315

>>130318
pls answer

Anonymous No. 131323

>>131276
>>131277
Appreciate the reply bro, also nice skiing 3:15 was sick. I'm definitely considering widening out if the west keeps getting dumped on like lately, but 115 seems thicc as fuck. I'm mainly doing Oregon and California though I live in the midwest (pain). definitely getting twin tips now because I figure I can at least have fun at the park if I gotta ski at home, will probably go softer (idk the specifics of the grades either, it's just what I saw on evo) then. I'll add Moment to my list too. I know trying to find a do-everything ski is basically pointless but I don't have the budget nor reason for 3 different skis right now lol, hopefully in the near future.

Anonymous No. 131330

How often do you guys change your skis?
Every 10 years?
Or is there no need if everything works fine?

Anonymous No. 131365

>>131315
I think if you want to discuss nordic (aka cross country) skiing you should start a thread for specifically that. I don't have a problem with xc skiing being discussed here and I doubt anyone else minds either, but I also think most people ITT are here to discuss downhill so you probably will have a hard time getting answers.

Anonymous No. 131366

>>131323
Thanks mate. 3:15 is Death Chute Center Line at Snowbird, definitely one of my favorite lines I've ever skied.
Are you going to be keeping your old skis and just adding one new pair to your quiver, or intending for your new pair to be your only pair?
If the former, I can definitely understand the hesitation to go that wide and that wide may not be the best option to start with, but my advice was more assuming the latter (that you'll keep your old skis) in which case I would still push for 115-118 or so and use those skis on the good condition days out west, especially since you're fairly tall and heavy, and just keep your old skis for the not so good days. Again it's all preference, but if you want to do a lot of off-piste in WA and CA, you'll love having the fatter skis for the gnarly terrain. The extra surface area will help absorb all the chop/crud and let you charge a lot harder through sketchy stuff, and they'll be a lot more floaty and fun in pow.

Anonymous No. 131368

>>131366
*OR and CA
Pretty much the same thing, lol
>>131330
I have two pairs of Obsetheds (one as backup), one I have had since like 2012 or 2013, other pair maybe 2014 or 2015, and those two pairs are pretty much all I ski on. Their edges are dull pretty much beyond saving so icy days are sketch but I love the skis too much to replace before I absolutely have to.
I think the main reasons to replace skis would be:
>you're a kid and get taller/heavier
>you're a noob and get better and/or switch to different terrain preferences, or just learn more about what kind of skis you want
>your skis have very extensive damage that can't be repaired or delt with
>your skis have enough use that they have begun to lose their camber, aka flatten out/lose their shape (probably an issue with my Obsetheds but whatever, lol)
>your skis are old enough to be outdated tech
Regarding the final point: Especially if you ski off-piste/gnarly terrain, you'll want somewhat modern skis.Meaning wide (110-120 underfoot) and lots of rocker. Older skis are 100% camber (no rocker). Shane McConkey (back around 2006 if I recall correctly) decided to mount alpine bindings on water skis and that's basically how rocker skis started if I have my history straight. But even a few years later, a lot of skis i.e. "all mountain twin tips" and park skis would still be 100% camber, but now those types of skis tend to have at least a little bit of rocker.
If your skis have been made more recently than, I don't know, 2011? (I'm no ski history expert so don't quote me on dates) then they're probably pretty modern with their tech.
If you're unsure then post your ski model/year here, or their specs or pictures, and I can try to give some input in that regard.

Anonymous No. 131369

>>131330
>>131368
And I should add that my 110-120 underfood recommendation is specifically for expert skiers who like skiing gnar.
If you're a more average skier, then 110-120 is still great for pow days, but something narrower and with a fair amount of camber (and therefore optionally older) will likely be your preference when its not a pow day.

Anonymous No. 131392

>>130959
Skill issue
Luckily for you debbie Armstrong on jewtube can solve that

Anonymous No. 131397

>>131330
Whenever they break. As long as they're rideable I don't see a need to trade them out. Skis/bindings are expensive as all hell.

Anonymous No. 131405

>>130959
>Maybe other places are better but skiing seems to attract the absolute worst kind of people.
You must have gone to some shithole resort like Vail

Anonymous No. 131451

>>130351
They're both fun

Anonymous No. 131453

>>131369
Non-native speaker here, what does “skiing gnar” mean?
Btw, i feel like 110-120 is really wide if you’re used to much smaller (I read the original asker used ~80), especially if you still want to ski all-mountain

Anonymous No. 131481

>>131453
Skiing gnar means skiing on gnarly terrain. I.e. chutes, cliffs, cornices.
Regarding width, the guy I was replying to in that post didn't say what width he is used to, he just asked when skis shoud be replaced, and my mention of width is due to the fact that pre-rocker skis are a lot narrower than a lot of modern skis, which is one reason to upgrade if someone has old narrow skis.
The other guy I gave a similar recommendation to did say he is used to around 80mm, and my advice to him is partly based on the assumption that he will be able to keep his old skis for the bad condition days and use his new skis only on good condition days. My suggestion to him is also based on him saying that he wants to get into off-piste, drops (which I take to mean cliffs), steep (which I take to mean very steep off-piste terrain). That's the kind of stuff where wide skis are really nice to have. I jumped from 85 full camber to 117 50% rocker about a decade ago and the 117 rockers have become my everyday skis.
But again it is all personal preference, and my preference is based significantly on the fact that I am always sticking to gnarly terrain (cliffs, chutes, etc). For someone who skis more mellow terrain I still think a pair that wide is good to have specifically for powder days, but a narrower pair for other days, whereas someone who is always skiing the gnarly terrain even on bad condition days, then they may be like me and want their fat skis every day.

Anonymous No. 131484

>>131368
>>131397
Thanks, just curious about when people replace their skis
This is me btw>>130958
I currently have Iron Maiden K2s from 2013. They're quite beat up and I just want something newer in general. Plus I dont spend much time at the snow park anymore so I wanted to get something more piste/freeride focused.
Think I'll be getting either the K2 89ti or the Nordica enforcer 94.

Anonymous No. 131485

Btw what kind of boot flex do you guys usually go for?
I've been using atomic b90 (90 flex) for the past like 10 years. They're really worn out and uncomfortable and weren't that good to begin with desu, I feel like ski boots have come a long way since then. I'm a pretty good skier and like to go fast but I don't know if I need much stiffer boots. I weigh 78 kgs.

Anonymous No. 131494

>>131484
The Iron Maidens look like pretty nice skis. In your other post you said you want something playful, yet the skis you are mentioning are metal core which imo isn't "playful". Good for hard charging on piste for sure.
And you also mentioned freeride, for which I would definitey want something wider, but I live in the US so my idea of freeride may be different than yours.
If your intent is to charge hard on piste, then by all means those skis may be great options for you, especially since you ski in the alps and want to focus on bad conditions and crud rather than pow, but I would not consider them a playful freeride ski at all.
Have you had a chance to try any out? A lot of shops (including shops right at the ski resort) will have high end skis available to demo, they just cost more than regular rentals. That way you can get an idea of if you like the skis enough to buy.
>>131485
With boots your best bet is go to a professional boot fitter. For everything else (skis, helmets, goggles,etc) ask online, try stuff on at the store, demo stuff, etc.But with boots you really want to go to a professional. And not just some chain store that has a "boot fitter".But rather an actual reputable professional boot fitter.
If I recall correctly my boots are 120 flex but I think that how stiff a given number rating is will vary from brand to brand.

Anonymous No. 131505

>>131494
>If your intent is to charge hard on piste, then by all means those skis may be great options for you,
Yeah like realistically that's gonna be 70-80% of what I do. Don't have much powder nowadays where I live so for that I'd have to do a little traveling. And honestly the K2s seem to do ok at pretty much everything despite the titanium inserts. I think they're an appropriate balance, especially considering what I'll realistically be doing given the snow conditions.
>Have you had a chance to try any out?
No not really, mostly going by reviews online (sites/youtube) like this
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/all-mountain-skis/k2-mindbender-90ti
>With boots your best bet is go to a professional boot fitter
Thanks

Anonymous No. 131630

Anyone have experience with the Movement fly 95 skis?
Or the Movement go 90?

Anonymous No. 131705

Blizzard Rustler 9 vs Mantra M6 vs terribly overpriced Dancers 2.0 vs Enforcer 94.
What do I go with?

Anonymous No. 131709

>>131705
The mantra are pricier than the dancer, wdym terribly overpriced?
If you’re looking to spare some money, the price difference between the blizzards and the rest won’t affect much, except maybe for durability. In that case, I’d trust Volkl or Nordica more than Faction, though I haven’t tested dancers myself

Anonymous No. 131720

>>131709
>The mantra are pricier than the dancer, wdym terribly overpriced?
Oddly enough I am able to find the Mantras at a better discount than the Dancers 2.0. 506 euro with bindings for the Mantras vs 680 euro for the Faction w similar bindings
The Blizzards are the cheapest at 450 euro. Price isn't that important I'm just not sure the Dancers are worth it if the Blizzards are pretty similar and more versatile if anything. I'm kinda leaning towards the Blizzards anyway, but the fact that they're a cheaper is giving me pause lol. Although there isn't a big difference between them and the Mantras in price here it seems

Anonymous No. 131833

If you've learned in the 80's/90's and did well you'd ski with your knees and feet smacked together, but today all skis are silly wide at the tip. Isn't this a problem?
Being an old fag I bought some all mountain skis 113, 85, 130 and head for the hills again.
Not much of a problem compared to straight skis and honestly it's not much of a different to anything, snowblades included. I still rip through diamonds feet smacked together, doesn't matter the ski.
Okay so I tried some carving, and the tips aren't overlapping naturally since the up hill knee is further ahead, but during the transition, there's rub. And rub there was, my skis are shredded now so I had to epoxy the tips.
I can't be the only one learning how to ski like a legend here, so how do you ski with clown skis these days?

Anonymous No. 131958

Is the m6 mantra too much of a boomer ski?

Anonymous No. 132019

Are K2 Poachers good for high speed?

Image not available

255x253

life.png

Anonymous No. 132571

The midwest is a terrible place. Where do I go next:
>SL valley
>Denver area
>Tahoe

Anonymous No. 132605

>>132019
yes. they are stiff, therefore they are good at high speeds

Anonymous No. 132634

>>132571
>SLvalley
Salt Lake valley or what?
Anyway we cant really help if we dont know what terrain you like
>>131958
yea

Anonymous No. 133221

https://www.tiktok.com/@rossignol/video/7191472087461154053?
Crazy

Image not available

483x613

dogfslur.jpg

Anonymous No. 133273

>>126813
>wearing a helmet

Anonymous No. 133515

>>131833
lol 113 is skinny as fuck at the tip. I rock 188s under foot. For carving just pressure the front of your boots. Your uphill leg should be bent to create separation. Roll your ankle, knees, and hips together. If you need tips took at youtube videos. 85 underfoot skis should be prime for carving

Anonymous No. 133516

>>133515
*118 underfoot. 143 at the tip

Anonymous No. 133632

how the fuck do you ski powder? Why cant you turn? Do you just need more speed?

Anonymous No. 133638

>>133632
you gotta not fight the powder. You need to keep a more neutral stance instead of leaning forward like on hardpack.

Anonymous No. 133791

>>133632
How I ski powder: Charge hard as fuck fast as fuck, same as I ski any conditions
How some people ski powder: idk never asked but maybe with weight farther back? I don't ski powder with my weight back but maybe some people do, ask them I guess

Anonymous No. 133792

>>133632
Ski on wider skis, you best be on AT LEAST 110 underfoot

Anonymous No. 134126

Just started up again, first time I’ve gone in four years. Hunter mountain is piss, gets all the NYC traffic

Anonymous No. 134147

>>133632
deb armstrong gives a good lesson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ScKSMGvtc
honestly if you can afford the lesson on a powder day it'd be worth it, you'd get to skip the lines in addition to your lesson

Image not available

509x339

istockphoto-11360....jpg

Anonymous No. 135443

How are you supposed to git gud? I'm very comfortable on all groomers, but single black diamonds still give me trouble and I have to take them relatively slowly, for the most part taking 2-4 turns and stopping to plan out the next 2-4 turns. Double black/extreme terrain, super steep runs, narrow chutes, tight tree runs, etc. all seem impossible to me.
Also, my technique is complete dogshit and I really have no fucking clue what I'm doing.

I've been skiing since I was a kid but I live somewhere flat so I can only go skiing for a few days a year.
Do I just need to move if I want to be better?
Should I get lessons? I've never had them.

Anonymous No. 135503

>>135443
>advanced lessons or more realistically youtube tutorials
>good physical health and diet
>set of balls

Image not available

901x632

51F8EA68-D943-49F....jpg

Anonymous No. 135567

Help me choose action camera… Akaso one is new.

Anonymous No. 135607

day 1 of breckenridge, there's too many people.
But I can't really complain because we were skiing around the blues in the middle of the resort.
Hopefully it thins out.

Anonymous No. 135613

I'm using some second-hand K2 Four R 160s. They're definitely small for me - I'm set on buying new boots and bindings, but I'm unsure about buying new skis. I think I would like freestyle skis, don't do terrain parks, but enjoy hard cornering and ice. Is it worth going to freestyle for that alone?

Anonymous No. 135614

>>135613
I'm 182/72. I know 160 is small for me, but I'm completely used to these skis. Wat should I do?

Anonymous No. 135625

>>135443
https://pastebin.com/raw/m9aTYtnF
Read that, and focus on progressing, if you can't do blacks comfortably yet then of course extreme terrain will seem impossible. Some people ski easy double blacks by the end of their first season if they ski constantly, but the vast majority take a number of years to get good enough for double blacks, and that's even if they ski a lot more than you do. Also, there is a HUGE difference between an average double black run, and extreme terrain. Progressing from the bunny hill to an average double black run is like progressing from an average double black run to extreme terrain.
If you truly want to get to the point where you can ski extreme terrain, you need to prioritize skiing in your life. No one just skis a few days a year then starts hucking cliffs. If you want to be able to ski extreme terrain, prioritize skiing highly, and do what it takes to get in at least a few dozen days a year. Go out west (assuming you live in USA) and live in your car for a few weeks a year if that's what it takes.
Ski aggressively, practice technique on terrain you're comfortable on while also venturing into terrain that pushes your limits. It is 90% mental/confidence, when you get to challenging terrain, try to ski it confidently. And read the pastebin, even though it's kinda aimed at people who are noobier than you, the same ideas will apply to you, just extrapolate the ideas to harder terrain.
Also, where do you ski? You say very comfortable on all groomers but then that single blacks give you trouble, but most resorts have at least some single blacks that are groomed. And location is a big difference, for example a single black in the midwest is going to be only as hard as an easy blue or even a hard green at some resorts out west. Whereas a single black in Utah may be harder than a double black in the Midwest. So it would be helpful to know where you ski to give more specific advice.

Anonymous No. 135626

>>135443

And when venturing into terrain you are uncomfortable with, you can ski across the fall line (across the hill rather than down it) to go slower while getting more comfortable on that terrain, then start skiing a bit more fall line (angled more downhill/less across the hill), and keep progessing how downhill you're facing as you get more and more comfortable on that terrain.
But depending on the area in question, you may be getting in the way of more advanced skiers if you're skiing back and forth straight across the run, so it is best to do this when its not crowded (i.e. weekday mornings), and if someone much better than you is skiing the run, let them go first. You can also watch how they ski it, and when they're out of the way then you can ski back and forth across the run.
Ski aggressively, weight forward, skis parallel.

Anonymous No. 135784

Thoughts on skiboards?

Anonymous No. 135820

Going to palisades and mammoth in a few weeks:

Any reccomended lines/terrain? I’m going into it completely blind

Anonymous No. 135952

>>135820
if you're good, McConkey's High Line, various Chimney lines (if it's open), and Fingers

Anonymous No. 135978

>>133632
Weight on the balls of your feet. Dont drive the shovels of your skis too hard. Stay light on your feet - remember its supposed to be fun! If that still doesnt work, size up either in length or width. Your ski doesnt need to be 110+ underffot like the other anon said, 90 underfoot skis used to be for "powder". What is better is to look for a ski with plenty of tip rocker

Image not available

390x179

ROCKER-EXPLAINED-....png

Anonymous No. 135981

>>135614
Buy new skis. The ones you have are extremely outdated. Look for something around 175cm length
>>135625
>I strongly recommend learning to ski without poles
disagree, only for the first year. learning how to pole plant properly will make steep terrain more approachable
>However, twin tips are harder to control for beginner
this is nonsense. twins dont affect how hard a ski is to control, they are for skiing switch/butters or making turns easier to feather/looser. if anything, twins are easier to ski than traditional race builds unless someone is 100% focused on pure carving. there is a reason every single modern all mountain ski has at least some tail rocker

Anonymous No. 136040

>>135981
>disagree, only for the first year.
"Learn without poles" doesn't mean "ski more than one year without poles" so I don't think you disagree with anything there
>switch/butters
Not what a beginner is going to be doing

Anonymous No. 136057

>>135981
How are they outdated? At 103/70/93 I get that I won't have a fun time in powder, but I don't really give a shit about that. What else am I missing out on?

Anonymous No. 136060

>>136057
I'm sure they still work fine, but if you're talking about updating your boots and bindings, you might as well get new skis. There is no point in mounting modern bindings to old skis unless you are very attached to them. I have some K2s from that era and they are outrageously heavy, so you would certainly be upgrading in terms of lower swing weight. Look at something like the K2 DISRUPTION 82TI or K2 MINDBENDER 85 for a reference.

>>136040
Yeah, but my point is tail rocker actually makes the ski more accessible for beginners. We shouldnt push learning skiers towards race build skis unless thats what they want to learn - pure carving

Anonymous No. 136061

>>136057
Oh and yeah 160 is way too short for you, even if you're a beginner. Start on 170s and then look towards 175-180 as you get to be upper-intermediate

Anonymous No. 136062

>>136061
Why?

Anonymous No. 136063

>>136062
There is no hard and fast rule for ski length - it is extremely dependent on the build of the ski, your skiing style, height and weight. That said, the rule of thumb is the tip of the ski should reach between the top of your forehead and your chin - 160cm would be well below your chin, I imagine.

Anonymous No. 136064

>>136063
Why?

Anonymous No. 136065

>>136064
Are you just fucking with me or do you actually want to know why skis are built in certain lengths?

Anonymous No. 136089

>>136060
>Yeah, but my point is tail rocker actually makes the ski more accessible for beginners. We shouldnt push learning skiers towards race build skis unless thats what they want to learn - pure carving
Yeah I don't disagree with that, I didn't mean to imply beginners should be on racey skis, or that tail rocker is bad, just that full on twin tips aren't really ideal for a beginner. Maybe when I said 'carving skis' I gave the wrong impression, I could have worded that better.

Anonymous No. 136097

>>136089
Yeah, that's fair. I think a lot of modern skis are so easy to ski, its much better for beginners. I got my mom who has been skiing her whole life some Salomon QSTs and she says they arr way easier than her old ~2001 K2s. I grew up racing - basically learned how to ski the whole mountain on slalom skis because my dad didnt want to buy me twin tips - and it definitely made me a great skier but that was after 8 years, 25+ ski days each year, professional coaching. IMO new (especially adult) skiers should start out on something lightweight and easy to furn, and then they can branch out once they are comfortable.

Anonymous No. 136722

I went skiing for the first time in a few years and had a blast. I knocked into someone on one of my last runs and took them out. I keep replaying it in my head. They weren't hurt and I stuck by to make sure they were okay.

I'm not sure how it happened. I hit some ice and sped up, then lost control. I feel awful. I'm doing a lot of research to avoid it ever happening again. I honestly feel sick even thinking about it. I'm surprised I didn't get my ass beat. Any advice? I'm using it as a learning experience. I feel so awful.

Anonymous No. 136723

>>136722
Control your speed around people, try to make your path go as far away from them as you can. Even as an experienced skier I'm very cautious about this and just prefer to stick to empty runs desu. You never know if the person in front of you is gonna slow down suddenly or how wide their next turn is gonna be.

Anonymous No. 136732

>>135443
>How are you supposed to git gud?
Focus on form when skiing on stuff you are confident in (skis close together).
Then jump turns.

When in doubt, lean forward - if you are nervous most people shift weight too far back and lose control. Except if its super deep powder in flat areas you need to 'float' over.

I sometimes ski on one leg (lift your other leg off the ground) on groomers and make turns with one leg just to force myself to be really aware of my edges and balance and how to control it. Surprisingly good work out.

If you have the budget lessons are good.

If you only ski a few days a year its hard to get the right conditioning to have the strength to do good jump turns, which applies a lot on steep and deep stuff.

Anonymous No. 136733

>>136722
>I knocked into someone on one of my last runs and took them out. I keep replaying it in my head. They weren't hurt and I stuck by to make sure they were okay.
>I'm not sure how it happened. I hit some ice and sped up, then lost control. I feel awful. I'm doing a lot of research to avoid it ever happening again. I honestly feel sick even thinking about it. I'm surprised I didn't get my ass beat. Any advice? I'm using it as a learning experience. I feel so awful.

Ski with low enough speed and enough distance between you and others that you have enough control so that you can make yourself fall and come to a stop before you hit anyone else.

I ski fast and sometimes pass people closely (behind and above their direction of travel typically, since I know they can't instantly 180 up the hill) but have excellent control and I have yeeted myself into a rope or off the main run to avoid people if I need to.

Honestly anything else is kinda irresponsible unless you are a child.

Anonymous No. 136819

>>136723
>>136733
Thanks for the advice. There really is no excuse. I've gone skiing a few times and never came to colliding with anyone. Thankfully, I was going slow, but it could have been really bad.

I know it was so dumb. Taking the experience as a big opportunity to learn and improve. So embarrassing and avoidable. Reading up on ski etiquette and best practice before I go again.

Anonymous No. 136888

>>136722
I love to ski fast but I always rein it in when around other people, or I try to give them a very large berth like 20 feet. Even if I feel in control all the time, you never know what other people are going to do. I would suggest keeping your speed in control when around others, and practice going fast only on empty slopes. Night skiing is great for this. You mentioned hitting a patch of ice so I'll say it is important to always look at the snow in front of you so you are prepared for whats next.

Also, dont beat yourself up. People have done much worse, a snowboarder once broke my kid sisters arm by running into her. As long as the other person wasnt hurt and you learn from the incident, its ok.

>>136819
Biggest thing to remember is that the uphill skier must always avoid the downhill skier. That said, I always look over my shoulder on crowded slopes because people are dumbfucks and go out of control.

Anonymous No. 136893

>>135625
>>135626
Read through the pastebin.
I’ve mostly been skiing park city the past few years, but I’ve been to beaver creek and I just got back from a trip to wolf creek. As far as groomed black runs, I can’t say I remember being on many of them, but they’ve been fine I suppose. It’s mostly bumps (and powder, to a lesser extent) that are giving me trouble.

I want to move out west after graduating college (about a year), but I’m not sure where yet. I guess wherever I can find a job will have to do.

Anonymous No. 136977

>>136893
re: bumps, look into aggressive pole planting technique. Not a lot of skiers talk about it but its the key to navigating tricky, technical terrain.

For powder, theres a lot of things that come into play. If you are in skinny (sub 90mm underfoot) skis, that can be a hindrance. Powder skiing also can be more conducive to a "balanced", weight on the ball of the foot stance, as opposed to a forward stance you use for carving, where you pressure into the cuff of the boot. It also makes a big difference skiing in dry, Rockies champagne, or wet PNW concrete. All in all, powder should be fun, so unless you're not having fun skiing pow, I wouldn't worry about it.

Anonymous No. 137032

Snowbird, Jackson Hole, Mammoth, Kirkwood. These r the best.

Anonymous No. 137218

>>137032
Kirkwood goes hard
https://youtu.be/65zhTWGQfuE

Anonymous No. 137243

>>137032
No Revvie or Fernie?

Anonymous No. 137248

>>130135
for NC go to Sugar.
Beech is fine too but Sugar is better in general, especially for a beginner

Anonymous No. 137249

>>130539
i know bros who have back country ski'd Roan Mountain. it would be easy enough to hike up and get to. just need the powder

Anonymous No. 137250

>>130910
noooooooooo. just go straight to a mountain. the indoor stuff is for skiers who just need to scratch the itch in summer. doesn't actually feel anything like the real deal and wouldn't be good to learn technique

Image not available

762x759

1659313456117.jpg

Anonymous No. 137252

probably going to pick up a pair of these in the off-season.
demo'd them on about 8 runs and pretty kino feel when charging groomers.
anyone have an opinion on them?

Anonymous No. 137276

>>137252
I have not skied them but looks like a run of the mill intermediate frontside carver. If you like it, that's good. Head makes fantastic carving skis, the downside is those will probably not ski very well off piste. If you ski a fair amount and expect to go off the groomers I would look at something a bit more versatile, maybe the Head Kore 87 or Elan Wingman 86

Anonymous No. 137526

East coast fag traveling to mammoth on Friday.

How fucked am I? Heard the main highway keeps getting shut down

Anonymous No. 138194

Tahoe was nuts bros.

Anonymous No. 138517

>>137032
Snowbird and Squaw are best,Jackson is good. Bridger and Big Sky are probably good too.
>>136722
Make sure your edges are sharp,and get skilled at dumping speed quickly.
>>136893
Go to a good bootfitter (I recommend Deep Powder House at Alta, if you get back to Utah) and get good boots. This is a bigger deal than you think. Preferably with custom footbeds,and definitely with heat moulding. They'll cost like 700 dollars.
Then when you're actually on the mountain,ski aggressively and assertively, don't let your skis just take you for a ride. Especially important off piste. It can be uncomfortable at first to ski aggressively,especially if you are used to having your weight too far back, but it will get natural as you improve. This applies especially to bump skiing.
In powder you can be a bit more relaxed and weight farther back.
>>137243
A
FUCKING
LEAF

Anonymous No. 138692

>>137243
those places are both sick from what I hear

Anonymous No. 138719

Why is skiing so much more insanely expensive in the US?
Like a ski pass for a day can be like 200 dollars. For three days in the US you can get a season resort ski pass in Europe.
I can now understand Americans who say ski culture is snobby as fuck because with these prices I imagine it really is that way there.
How do you guys unironically afford that shit?

Anonymous No. 138724

>>138719
It's comically expensive. I save up money all year long waiting for the snow.

Anonymous No. 138728

Skiing is such a hassle. You need a lot of gear, travel to a mountain, pay to use the lifts, ride the lift for several minutes, now you can FINALLY do the thing for like 4 minutes before you reach the ground, and ride the lift again.

Compare it to, idk, ice skating, you just bring your skates to a lake and go.

Image not available

216x230

Chute.png

Anonymous No. 139182

>>131257
>Armada ARVs
Have these.
Love em on the deep stuff.
Bit taller and heavier than you.

I will say they are not the best at doing super tight turns, just because they are much bigger and heavier than smaller skis - I have some 10+ year old 'groomer' skis that I like better for that, but those are significantly shorter, narrower, and lighter for moguls, but those are not good at deep stuff.

Depending on what chutes you like to ski, you may have to be pretty cautious in your approach or jump bomb it down a ways on the armadas if the entry is really narrow.

At really high speeds on groomers you will notice a bit of a rattle since they are not super hard, but not at all in new snow.
For all mountain the armadas are a really nice option.

I ski wet and heavy stuff in PNW though, if you are on champagne dry power in CO all the time you might want to go smaller skis. pic related

Anonymous No. 139183

>>131833
>I can't be the only one learning how to ski like a legend here, so how do you ski with clown skis these days?

I learned early 90s and am told I have really good form in that oldschool close-skiing way.

I swap between my wide powder skis and narrow carving groomer skis - I will say I normally do a couple runs to mentally transition, otherwise I do knock sides on tight turns going from narrow to wide.

It also sounds nuts, but I ski pretty 'loosy goosy' in terms of binding tightness on the wide skis, vs cranking way the fuck down on the narrow skis. Something about the way I dial in the clips on the (same pair of) boots differently for each ski helps, but it gets my feet hurting for sure.

But I get mogged speed and skill wise by my siblings on wide ass skis all the time, so form is really just a personal preference/style.

Anonymous No. 139184

>>133632
flats - lean back to float on top (need big skis and or speed)

Steep and deep - lean forward and basically jump turn through, use your poles as part of swinging your body around.

Anonymous No. 139533

Can I still make a living out of ski?
I’m a pretty good skier, basic tricks down and can jump average height cliffs without dying. I’m 18 y/o, from Europe. I’ve started college this year and can’t go skiing as much as I would want to (at most 2-3 weeks/year for the next few years until I graduate). I love skiing and would like to make a living out of it, instead of getting a science degree only to end up doing shitty excel sheets for a bank or whatever, is it still possible?

Anonymous No. 139538

>>139533
I don't think anybody gets by through being an skiing pro or influencer, unless they start some equipment brand or work on the business side of it. I guess you could work/live at a resort and become a ski bum, but with modern cost of living your quality of life will probably be pretty similar to a homeless person. Doesn't necessarily mean its bad, I've seriously considered it myself, especially since I'm already a poorfag and I don't own a fucking car in america of all places.

Anonymous No. 139550

>>139533
From what I have heard most pro skiers do not make a living 100% from skiing, but the absolute best i.e. Seth Morrison probably do.

Anonymous No. 139589

>>139533
basically join ski patrol, the park crew or become an instructor and then find an easy off season job eg working at a skate shop/being a raft guide etc.
if you mean you want to be a fulltime parkrat?
find a homie house or a crew learn a skill like filming or editing & design and do those on the side while you perpetually couch surf.
>>139538
resorts usually provide pretty decent benefits and housing if you work for them

Anonymous No. 139606

>>139589
Yes, there are benefits and housing, but at least at some resorts here in America, that housing is paid for by a big chunk of your paycheck. You will have to cut corners in other areas like eating like shit to make it work out. Maybe he's fine with that but I don't think that's what most people think of when talking about "making a living".
Maybe its different in Europe, but I wouldn't know

Anonymous No. 139629

any good recommendations for ski magazines? preferably indie, if that even exists
generally about freeski/touring as a whole, gear, interesting new stuff, not about alpine skiing if possible

Anonymous No. 139672

>>139629
Poweder was good but recently went out of print. I think they still do digital stuff (magazines or just articles, not sure), so if you're open to digital I would check out Powder and Unofficial Networks.

Image not available

1347x1188

yui-149.png

Anonymous No. 139684

>be me
>skiing at new resort for the third time since moving away for uni
>its a fat powder day and I got there at 6am to wait in line
>I still havent met anybody who rides here yet so im skiing alone
>theres a big cliff drop in full view of the line at the bottom
>the lift opens and I get on the very first chair
>I look back and the line goes all the way back to the parking lot
>decide im gonna show off for the heck of it
>make a beeline for the cliff after reaching the top so nobody beats me to it
>throw a 360 off the highest section
>i massively underestimate the size of the drop and go well past a 5
>crash and tomahawk several times in a full yard sale
>here the most mortified "oooooh"'s I've ever heard in my life
>it looked so bad from down there that a patroller stopped me at the bottom and questioned me to make sure I didnt have a brain injury
>tfw hundreds of people saw all of it it unfold
Should I buy another jacket so none of the locals recognize me? Or should I just move to Europe?

Anonymous No. 139705

>>139684
Anon are you fucking retarded? most people would be proud to have attempted it (and then go back and make up for the crash)
you're a fucking faggot and should just quit skiing

Anonymous No. 139761

>>139684
what other anon said but less extreme
just go back and send a massive backflip or whatever the hell you want since there’s a lot of powder, people will just start looking at you as “the guy who attempts crazy stuff”

Anonymous No. 139765

>>139705
>>139761
Not serious about the last part. I wouldve went for redemption but the run out got moguled to shit by the second lap. I dont think Im gonna get another chance at it this season. The forecast here looks pretty fucked from today onwards.

Anonymous No. 139787

>>133515
Two months of skiing with modern gear and it has been fun, definitely had to learn to put pressure on the front. Carving is super fun and surfing on powder! My god, this was not really possible way back on skinny skis.
I got to save up for an RV and hunt for powder now.

Anonymous No. 139791

>>139684
You waited three hours at the lift to fuck up a cliff drop and it’s too moguly for you now…
god I hate powder hounds.

Image not available

4032x1960

soomit.jpg

Anonymous No. 140109

>>139182
thanks anon, I ended up buying them (the 96s) and keeping my carvers for groomer days. though i actually took the armadas out on one and it wasn't half bad (picrel), they are indeed heavy AF but I could still get decent turns in at speed.
the one thing i didn't feel too comfortable in was trees, i always felt like i couldn't turn in time, but then again i'm a bit of a noob at off-piste stuff so idk.
but what they are good at, man they're good at. i threw myself off some jumps i wouldn't have even thought of on my last skis. also took them to Tahoe and they did just fine on the stupid deep powder there. and if there's any crud i just lean back and roll right over it. these things are sick and i'm very satisfied.

Image not available

4032x3024

3C384094-2E26-4B6....jpg

Anonymous No. 140211

Did I fuck up? I’ve skied only narrower skis (Vantage 79 Ti until they failed from a defect) since returning to skiing. I live in New England but haven’t skied here recently and travel to the Rockies for trips. I love trees and especially moguls (despite being pretty new to them) so I wanted a pair of Bent 90s but the local store where I had credit didn’t have an appropriate length. I’m a currently hefty 6ft guy. My thoughts are I can get experienced with something on the other end of the spectrum and add a second different pair of that more in between length later. I’m going to Big Sky in a couple weeks for the last trip of the season but Jackson Hole is where I keep coming back to.

Anonymous No. 140213

>>130364
Salomon and Atomic come from the same production lines is what I heard from one tech. Amer (and by extension Anta) own all 3 brands.

Anonymous No. 140389

still getting some skiing in Minnesomalia bros

Anonymous No. 140396

>>139684
>https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2020/09/10/7-tricks-make-look-better-skating-really/

Image not available

1500x1500

BlizzardBrahma88.png

Anonymous No. 140899

Thinking of buying these Blizzard Brahma 88 on sale.
Would these be a good all mountain ski for Europe (mostly Austria probably)?

Anonymous No. 140925

>>140899
>All mountain
>Anything below 96
Trippin! Get some 100s

Anonymous No. 141565

>>140925
This kind of nuanced debate is why I still come to shit chan after all these years.
Yeah, I'm gonna get a pair of fat rockered skis to shred all those 5 centimetres of pow the eastern alps get in a month.
Thanks

Anonymous No. 141595

I injured my knee the second time out skiing. It is not too serious, but now I can't do anything for a month or two.

Anonymous No. 141685

Why do I have so much trouble turning/carving to the right?

Anonymous No. 141720

>>141685
Left side of body is weaker than right

Anonymous No. 142285

>>141565
those are good skis
pretty much every site is complete trash when it comes to skiing content
instagram:
>muh cliffs
>muh tricks
>muh look at these crowds
reddit:
>muh core shot
>muh mediocre skiing
>muh ig reposts
>muh vail sucks
>muh nigger skiing
4chan:
>muh first time skiing
>muh shitposts
>muh skiing is for fags
newschoolers:
>muh rails
>muh tricks
>muh baggy clothes
>muh harlaut aesthetics

Image not available

600x413

0ce3526e7a455c2a6....jpg

Anonymous No. 142421

I bought an Ebin Pass. Planning to use it to visit Colorado for the first time, Heavenly, and Park City if I can swing it. God help my back account.
Now begins the wait for next season.

Anonymous No. 142454

>>126786
if you bootpack the bowl for a season pass do they let you ski down at the end of the day or do you have to hike out?

Anonymous No. 142494

>>142285
It's a few years since I've been to vail but it was great, what gives?

Anonymous No. 142500

>>142494
it's a strip mall that was built for tourists to do pizza turns would be the traditional answer but every other mountain town has been so overrun by caliniggers that there's hardly a difference anymore

Anonymous No. 142505

>>142500
Wowzers, it was quite tourist-ey when I went, but to be fair, that was a little while ago

Anonymous No. 142559

>>142505
after the cluster fuck that was base village, i don't think we have any right to shittalk vail anymore lmoa

Image not available

1373x1288

1652910093124934.png

Anonymous No. 142956

any good ski mountaineering resources you guys like? I've done a bunch of spring mountaineering out in the rockies and ice climbing in michigan but never any skiing and I figured it would be efficient to get into all mediums surrounding it. I got a pair of shit downhill and cross country skiis for free with ancient bindings but never tried them out last season since I dont have any boots. Any ideas for a setup that includes arc proclines/salomon xalps? It seems like the ideal boot for what I want to do, I just don't know the rest of the plan

Anonymous No. 143027

>>142285
pretty accurate
baggy clothes are objectively the best form of clothing for skiing.

Anyone watch SLVSH cup?

Anonymous No. 143032

>>142956
the best thing would be to take an in-person avalanche course if you haven't done that already

Anonymous No. 143549

>>138719
Tbf 3-4 days is the breakeven for most of the season passes if you buy in the spring.

Anonymous No. 146172

>>126786
is there any way to cheaply ski

Anonymous No. 146180

>>146172
>couch surf
>live in your car
>work for the resort
>become a shop guy

here you also bootpack the bowl to get a season pass, idk if they have that kind of program elsewhere
>https://highlandspatrol.com/bootpack/
>https://www.strafeouterwear.com/blogs/strafe-journal/aspen-highlands-bootpacking
this season i didn't even buy a pass and just hiked up the mountain every day, so if you're a park rat that's not a bad option either

Anonymous No. 146185

is the snow at A basin still worth the 80 dollars for a ticket bros?

Anonymous No. 146420

>>126813
I like sweet protection helmets the most

Anonymous No. 146421

>>139684
>Should I buy another jacket so none of the locals recognize me? Or should I just move to Europe?
move to Europe so I can ski with you you fuckin legend

Anonymous No. 149557

Southern hemisphere season soon. Hyped

🗑️ Anonymous No. 152840

Ok>>146421
>>146420 fine >>126836
Ok
>>146185
>>126786
Ok sure

Anonymous No. 152892

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfkdBmpPj3g

Anonymous No. 152963

>>127710
parkrat faggot. ski a glade without a helmet and see if you dont get thwacked in the head by a branch or two

Anonymous No. 154575

>>12678
Looking to update my gear after ages of torturing my atomics.

Whats the current top SL ski?

Anonymous No. 155571

>>126786
Sure >>126966
What >>127000
sure

Anonymous No. 155579

>>126966
Ok>>126786
what

Anonymous No. 155580

>>127139
>>127710
>>127848
>>127902
>>127924
>>127938
>>127939
>>128465
>>128743
>>128749
>>130318
>>130351
>>130498
>>130912
>>130911
>>130910
>>130967
>>131315
>>131392
>>131397
>>131405
>>131451
>>131630
>>131958
>>132019
>>132571

Image not available

4080x3072

PXL_20221205_0053....jpg

Anonymous No. 155653

>>127848
>>128749
I'm looking forward to going back but I'm not sure it'll happen this year, at least not the way it happened last year.

🗑️ Anonymous No. 156921

>>127000
>>126966
>>126836
>>126786

Anonymous No. 157258

Why is Utah so fucking lame now and how do we save the ski culture here bros?

Anonymous No. 157354

>>157258
Ski a lot and be nice to each other, harass idiots who drive up the canyon with bald tires. Murder the gondola. Encourage Alta and Snowbird to get off Ikon pass

Anonymous No. 159461

>>127000
What

Image not available

2564x2365

48B94BEE-760A-43F....png

Anonymous No. 159477

Where should I go to ski for 3-6 months? I want to take a season and just be a ski bum. What would be the best options based on cost of living, snow quality, resorts, etc.?

Anonymous No. 160780

>>159477
Krasnaya Polyana, Russia, season pass is about 500 bucks, so you get the idea

Anonymous No. 160938

>>135567
The session is smaller, lighter, has better resolution than the hero 4, and is waterproof on it's own without a case. I really don't understand why GoPro dropped this design platform. One caveat is that the plastic cage(s) for it that attach it to the mount are poorly designed and break easily. You can, however, get aftermarket aluminum versions from Amazon. I can't speak to the Akaso.

Anonymous No. 160939

>>135607
Most crowded area in Colorado. Don't hold your breath.

Anonymous No. 161333

>>126813
It has MIPS, MIPS will save your ass from a concussion! I've seen it happen!
>>127710
Quite a lot of people go inverted without bothering with the park...

Anonymous No. 161448

Had a great weekend out on the snow. Has anyone got recommendations for filming where I'm not the subject. Action cams don't really capture the subject well when they're far away, been looking at camcorders but a lot of people seem to be using dslrs

Anonymous No. 162482

>>157258
What's lame about Utah?

Anonymous No. 166411

>>127139
this
I once watched someone break one of those in half on a tree and come out basically fine

Anonymous No. 166413

>>127924
>Skis:
>with a bit of effort, can do everything a snowboard can do
>higher skill cieling, precision and control
>only whites

>Snowboard:
>will never be able to do everything skis do, boardtrannies will never be skiers
>lower skill cieling including park stuff
>If you snowboard long enough you will meet a brown person

Anonymous No. 166416

>>130016
Only in Northern Michigan/Wisconsin/maybe maine. Boyne, Crystal mtn, Nubbs, and Devil's head are all pretty good places I personally know, as long as its a good season, though they'll never be anything like what you'd find in the rocky mountains.

Anonymous No. 166419

>>130967
my buddy lives there and he showed me all this hidden shit on the frontside I never would've guessed was there. Apparently there's some cool shit if you cut off of schoolmarm into an unmarked area.

Anonymous No. 166420

>>133273
>hasn't learned the helmet lesson the hard way yet
inb4 "I don't fall"

Anonymous No. 166421

>>133632
you need your tips to stay above the snow, meaning you have to lean back. do it as little as possible though...

Anonymous No. 167187

So, not be suspicious, but can someone just drown intentionally a fellow skier what went down a tree well? Like real evil shit dude, instead of helping just tossing snow at them, did that ever happen? Any case of this? That we know..

Also unrelated, but if you pull out your cock to pee while skiing, does It get frostbite imeditely? Does that mean you pee inside?

Anonymous No. 167188

Whats the age Gap or biological clock for learning to skill, do i have to be born into the sport or get into It as a kid to become pro? Ima be honest im a Mexican here in bumfuck nowhere when snow never comes. I always adored snow AND skiing seems cool, any vehicle sport Is, so of i were to go to switzerland or new zealand in an exchange program, could i become a skier since 23 years old?? Or am i doomed.

Anonymous No. 167386

>>167188
To become pro? There’s no rule against making it after starting late, but the amount of the skill in the sport these days is insane. Unless you have natural talent, a lot of money and connections (for lessons, gear, living near a ski area), and a death wish, the odds of going pro are slim, even when starting young.
You can achieve “local hotshot” level of skiing by going a lot, working on improving, and having some big cojones.

Anonymous No. 171594

>>167188
>to learn to ski in general
Don't listen to doomers who say X age is too old to learn whatever skill. "The brain stops developing by mid 20s" or whatever the fuck is a complete meme. The brain is very plastic. The organism is constantly 'developing'.

>to become a pro.
Well I guess if you grinded hard enough you could to it. But this means practically living at a resort and doing only skiing. People who've been doing it since childhood obviously have an experience advantage. But I'm not sure why you would want to become a pro. You can enjoy it at any level.

Vaya con Dios.

Anonymous No. 172519

My favorite part of skiing going sideways over ice and packed snow. Are skiblades the right choice?

Anonymous No. 174002

>>172519
>Are skiblades ever the right choice?
If you're gay.

Anonymous No. 174004

>>167188
If by 'pro' you mean instructor, that's realistic if you commit to skiing as much as you can and progressing as fast as you can.
If by 'pro' you mean pro extreme skier or racer or park skier, that's difficult and requires a lot of dedication even from people who have lived in the mountains all their lives, so it will certainly be difficult for you, and realistically quite unlikely, but if it's what you really want, go for it, give it all you've got, and even if you don't make it pro you'll at least get as good as you can at skiing while trying to get pro, and maybe you will make it.

Anonymous No. 174271

thinking about some twintip skis what length should they be? im 170cm tall and about 80kgs
experienced skier but haven't done park
been looking at a set of skis which are 149cm in length
is that too short?

Anonymous No. 174494

>>174271
>is that too short?
yea, idk much about sizing but I am guessing you'd want around 160 if you like skis on shorter end or if you're an intermediate skier or going with full camber skis, whereas if you are getting skis with rocker and/or are expert skier or like skis on the longer end then 170.
idk though, as I said idk much about sizing I just know what works for me and I'm not a park skier

Image not available

600x380

fakie.gif

Anonymous No. 176390

>>126786
Threadly reminder that skiing fakie looks completely uncool and park shit will never be mainstream as long as you retards keep twerking down the hill. This still applies if you're retarded and call it switch.

Anonymous No. 176679

>>176390
>fakie
Whats that?
>will never be mainstream
who cares?
>twerking
what's that?
>switch
I don't ski park and I ski switch, problem? kys nigger

Anonymous No. 177372

>>176679
Keep on looking like a jackass, it don't affect me.

Image not available

768x768

40069_BLK.jpg

Anonymous No. 177385

What is a good midlayer for skiing? Temps will be anywhere from high teens to 30s. I currently own a merino baselayer and a hard shell, but this isn't warm enough in the teens. Is the Patagonia R1 a good choice? What else is worth considering?

Anonymous No. 177411

>>176679
Also fakie is when you're riding backwards in your regular stance.

Anonymous No. 177766

>>177385
yes,i have 4 models. tech if its warm. normal one if it's ~32, normal withe the air over it if it's cold as fuck. Neo R1 for everyday living

Anonymous No. 177767

>>177411
fakie is a rollerblading term, it's called switch in skiing

Anonymous No. 178064

>>130016
Europe

Image not available

960x1600

00581-3539691173.png

Anonymous No. 178190

I know this is technically a ski general but there's isn't a snowboard one so I'll ask here.

Anyone know where to get cheap(ish) snowboarding gear, or advice on getting gear? As in under 1k? I already have goggles and clothes. So that just leaves boots, bindings, a helmet, and a board. I know not to cheap out on boots and get them fitted in person. Last year I rented and didn't really know what I was looking for and my big toe was sore and purple for like 2 weeks after because one boot was too tight. But since I'm still a beginner I don't care how raggedy the bindings, helmet, or board are.

Anonymous No. 178230

>>178190
you can find pretty good deals on communities like https://www.snowboardingforum.com/forums/buy-and-sell-snowboard-equipment.9/
gear will always be cheapest off season or at ski swaps but you can find decent clearance sales on stuff that's a few years old if you look hard enough. i had to get all new stuff last year and i don't think i went over 500 and none of that was used or pricepoint
also what is your board size just out of curiosity? my old board could use a new home but it's on the long side for most people (160.5)

Anonymous No. 178334

>>130016
Mount Bohemia

Anonymous No. 178374

>>178230
well according to this site https://snowboardhow.com/snowboard-size-calculator/

it's saying 156-158 cm length and 251-254 mm width. So maybe a little long for me? (like I said I'm still a beginner) I'm a skelly, 6 ft, ~155 lbs, and size 10 US shoes. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous No. 178640

>>178374
Snowboards are generally sized based on your weight and boot size, especially in the current market where board shape/volume varies wildly. Generally you want to find a board you want/like then check the manufacturer's size recommendations.

Anonymous No. 179278

>>178190
Buy used. Buy during the off-season, especially late spring and early summer. Hope that last seasons things are on clearance on evo (huge online sporting goods store. Normally i suggest buying local but for a good bargain evo clearance will have some good options)

Anonymous No. 179283

>>126786
>In deliberation, the last appetite, or aversion, immediately adhering to the action, or to the omission thereof, is that we call the will; the act, not the faculty, of willing. And beasts that have deliberation must necessarily also have will. The definition of the will, given commonly by the Schools, that it is a rational appetite, is not good. For if it were, then could there be no voluntary act against reason. For a voluntary act is that which proceedeth from the will, and no other. But if instead of arational appetite, we shall say an appetite resulting from a precedent deliberation, then the definition is the same that I have given here. Will, therefore, is the last appetite in deliberating. And though we say in com-mon discourse, a man had a will once to do a thing, that nevertheless heforbore to do; yet that is properly but an inclination, which makes no action voluntary; because the action depends not of it, but of the last inclination, or appetite. For if the intervenient appetites make any action voluntary, then by the same reason all intervenient aversions should make the same action involuntary; and so one and the same action should be both voluntary and involuntary.

Anonymous No. 179611

Alright so I've got some time/money and thinking about a ski trip this winter. Being a midwest flat lander though I'm trying to figure out how much skiing actually happens on a ski trip. Do people really ski 8 hours a day for a whole week or are these "ski trips" more fancy vacations with a few hours of skiing thrown in the mix? Just trying to judge how a trip would compare to my normal 2ish hours on the local ski hill. Worried my body is going to be destroyed or mentally I'll be bored of the same run/chairs after 2-3 days.

Anonymous No. 179630

>>179611
if you're not used to it, going hard all week is maybe not realistic. i think a week's worth of skiing in 2 weeks is doable even for a fat tourist, maybe more if you really shell out and get ski-in-ski out lodging. over break people who live here will definitely ski every day unless the snow is dogshit

Anonymous No. 180011

>>179611
Well you'll have way more choice for runs somewhere like Park City compared to somewhere like Cascade Mountain so I doubt you'd get bored. The last time I was out there I skied all day on five days which is what most people I know do as well.

Image not available

768x574

Smith-Squad-XL-MT....jpg

Anonymous No. 180168

How are ski goggles supposed to fit you? I was given a pair of Smith Squad XLs but I had to make it really tight to completely seal around my nose. I'm assuming a correct fit is the following?
>goggle is comfortable to wear
>there is a complete seal around the nose without any light able to peek through
I'm not asian and I don't have a low nose bridge either.

Anonymous No. 180172

>>180168
To summarize, my main issue was that I had to make it tight + almost crush my noise to get the foam to completely seal it

Anonymous No. 180173

>>180168
>>180172
I also wonder if it was just a case of them being too big. I wear a Medium smith helmet

Anonymous No. 180336

Is Sierra Trading Post good for discount winter gear? I know it's all overstock and last season stuff but the prices seem a little sketchy to me.

Anonymous No. 180338

>>180168
>>180172
>>180173
I'm retarded, I was just wearing them too low. They fit fine now.

Image not available

854x825

69.jpg

Anonymous No. 180740

>>176390
You're way out of touch. Park skiing has grown exponentially in the last few years. I've been a park rat for almost 2 decades and have seen the transition first hand. Snowboarding is no longer the cool thing to do, and the best young riders in the park are now mostly freeskiers. You can't tell this is happening by watching energy drink videos, you need to actually go there.

Image not available

500x500

1632279163744.jpg

Anonymous No. 180747

>No snow where I live this winter
What kind of skis do i need to get for the discipline of skiing displayed in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy8OuKltB0o

Anonymous No. 180813

>>180338
lol

Anonymous No. 181009

I am taking snowboard lessons for the first time in a week. What kind of board should I rent? For a beginner is a twin a good idea, with hybrid camber maybe?

Anonymous No. 181013

>>181009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oX5ySQjck8
imo it's not worth getting too fixated on getting a 'beginner board' unless you're only gonna ride one month out of the year and want a noodle that takes zero effort to throw around. twin or directional twin will be fine

Anonymous No. 181014

>>181013
Thanks. Interesting how he recommends regular camber as his #1. I was watching Nev Lapwood (the guy from Snowboard Addicition) teach beginners and he always gives them regular camber, too

Anonymous No. 181017

>>181014
that'd be my preference. the best way to learn snowboarding is to just try a regular snowboard although i think a flat to rocker board would be a decent option as well

Anonymous No. 181034

where the fuck is the snow, boys?! this was a crappy year to decide to get into snowsports. at least ive gotten 3 days at kirkwood so far and have gone from wiping out on the lift dismount to hitting blues semi confidently. needa get quicker on my weight shifts on turns so i can do some proper carving on my heel to toe transition.

Anonymous No. 181035

>>181009
a twin and a camber are two different qualities of a board. you could have a hybrid camber twin.

Anonymous No. 181039

>>181034
it’s looking like a jib park kind of year desu

Image not available

360x270

14253463456.gif

Anonymous No. 181084

>>180747
K2 their twin tips are tanks

Anonymous No. 181113

so whats the deal with burton selling jackets and pants with super low spec membranes for way over 200 dollars? is there something im not getting? i mean 10k/5k? for that price? do they make you more aerodynamic or something? its not like they have extra pockets or something.

Anonymous No. 181116

>>181113
idk what they're like these days but the ak jacket i have from 10 years ago is probably the beefiest piece of clothing that i own but to the point where it's too warm to wear for any day that's not like below 0 plus windchill

Anonymous No. 181118

>>181116
yeah but i have milsurp shell pants that do the same thing as that tier shell pant that i got for like 20 bucks. i wouldnt exactly call them high performance though. w/e i just thought it was odd as i was checking for deals.

Anonymous No. 181175

>>126786
My 13 year old burton snow gloves are broken. Are there any gloves that has a tighter feeling and can be used for snowboarding? E.g. needing to take them off for typing with my phone is annoying

Anonymous No. 181298

think imma head up to squaw for new years eve and day. staying in my truck. gonna buy a 4 pack so ~150 a ticket. you think its worth it? is it gonna be a clusterfuck? any good places to crash out around there?

as for end of day, looks like they have some sort of firework show going on there. should i hang there or would doing the trek down to heavenly be a better bet? or just say fuck it and drink beers in the parking lot

Anonymous No. 181299

>>178190
dude christy sports has some crazy deals rn. just picked up some 300 dollar bindings from last season for like 130. if you dont care what kind of board you can probably get quite a good deal rn

Anonymous No. 181300

Have a Beaver Creek/Vail trip coming up in the second week of January. The conditions are going to be dogshit, aren't they.

Anonymous No. 181606

just got back from kirkwood. was fun but had some spectacular wipeouts due to icy hard pack and skill issues. hurt like a bitch. oh and my bindings came in

why are girls in ski clothes so sexy? its literally the most clothes a person could feasibly wear

Anonymous No. 181751

snow truk ariv

Anonymous No. 181756

Why do you ski with poles? The sticks, not the people.

I've never used them, except once when it was required to for a ski camp in middle school.
It looks so weird to me. You don't have your hands free, you basically just drag them behind yourself and a wrong move can leave you impaled on one.
The only time they seem useful is if you have to be stationary in line to the lift, but just, you know, pizza.

Anonymous No. 181773

>>181756
idk pole planting is a big part of bump skiing technique, or at least that's the way i was taught. they're also good for hiking up and make a nice platform if you ever need to sit down in pow or dig yourself out of a tree well.
but it you're a full time 3xl park kid they probably don't do much besides make your tricks look better.
for night park sessions they're kinda useful though because you can plant them at the top of features so you don't get suddenly blindsided by a rail you couldn't see, you can even hang a light off there if because shit gets dark yo

Anonymous No. 181792

>>181756
I like them for help holding my skis in place while I stomp my midfoot onto my bindings.

Anonymous No. 181822

>>181300
I went in December and there was barely nothing. I don't think it's improved since then. Gonna postpone my trips until at least end of February.

Anonymous No. 181988

How much overhang is too much? Toe side I have ~1inch and heel side I have ~1.25 inches. On other forums everyone if you're a beginner it won't matter much since you won't be doing deep carving. And plus I'm on the ice coast, the snow is so compacted here it'll be difficult to dig the edges in deep anyway right?

Anonymous No. 182028

Whatsup fellers, advanced skier here looking for new shalom skis. Currently im on a 170cm R12.1 Head e.SL which is great, but its pushing 8-9 years now and i want something new.

Ive been looking an the Stöckli Laser SL and some Salomon ones. Opinions on those and/or any other recs?

Anonymous No. 182029

>first major storm of the season
>will turn into rain by the I have my day off from work
I fucking hate the ice coast so much

Anonymous No. 182042

>>182029
night skiing is the way to go as a wagie. i just hike up at 2 am, you usually get the best conditions too because the cats just groomed everything

Image not available

600x438

GP_GP200710106230....jpg

Anonymous No. 182195

Does he still live in Summit County?

Anonymous No. 182308

How would it affect your snowboarding if your board is too narrow and short? I went snowboaridng for the first time today and did pretty good but the rental shop gave me a 150 board (I am 6'3" with a size 13 foot). Will it be easier if I get a bigger wider board?

Anonymous No. 182312

>>182308
stability and toe drag are the big things. you wont really be able to carve properly on a narrow board w/ size 13s
boards are mostly rated by weight thresholds but you don't want them to be *too* short or else you're just gonna overpower it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uimrP6mIYRc&list=PLuW-gT2uGJQ6Dr3Yx23HM4qiaWxxfb5fM&index=165
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URWrvOE1W8g&list=PLuW-gT2uGJQ6Dr3Yx23HM4qiaWxxfb5fM&index=163
it's not a great time to be finding deals on boards but just on a quick search i found a capita navigator & powder twin for 375

https://www.snowboardingforum.com/threads/capita-navigator-164w.278378/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276092683204?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1eO6EIuyMRMSZCRuoiQ4gpw92&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=276092683204&targetid=1587268788857&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9029202&poi=&campaignid=19894961968&mkgroupid=148855406073&rlsatarget=pla-1587268788857&abcId=9307911&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiA-vOsBhAAEiwAIWR0TQ7LeQstqzbiORh4mkVbZdO7eHeI3ng2rFpi4YCoun7_G5C6p8-LHxoCyAUQAvD_BwE

there are probably fuckloads of burtons out there in big boy sizes as well

Anonymous No. 182424

>>126786
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57S7sZtyf30

Image not available

640x640

DCCE33B7-5B45-41C....jpg

Anonymous No. 182471

Anyone have experience with the Nordica Enforcer 94?
I hear it’s a pretty heavy ski for powder/trees/moguls, but I want a single ski that can do everything. I’ll be going to Kickinghorse for a week at the end of February, so it really has to be able to do deep powder. I’m 155lb 5’9 3/4”, very experienced/fit.

Would I just be getting railroaded if I went with the 186”?

Anonymous No. 182509

>>182471
i did not like the 94s after using 93s

Anonymous No. 182528

>>182471
kickinghorse looks so cool.
if you can demo them somewhere first that'd be ideal. i was never really a believer in dedicated pow skis until i got them.

Anonymous No. 182586

>>182471
these are my firsts skis after 1 year of skiing on sports basement cuck rentals. For reference I used to snowboard and I ski at squaw.
I would describe the enforcers as a lot of work and very athletic skis, not for relaxing. I probably should have gotten something more forgiving for an intermediate skiier, however I have never felt more confident in my life pointing them downhill and just slicing through any crap in the way. Zero chatter or loss of control, it's a tank in that regard. As as snowboarder I was always afraid of high speeds, these skis just come alive when I let them rip straight down.
I was pretty miserable following my friend in k2 mindbenders down some moguls, then we went on red dog and I dominated the ice patches. Felt totally confident and secure while the group complained about ice, and I'm not even a good skiier.

Image not available

440x293

_methode_times_pr....jpg

Anonymous No. 182587

>mr alterra president, a second avalanche has just hit the resort

Anonymous No. 182655

>>182312
When is the best time to find deals on boards? Also is buying used bindings a bad idea? I went out for the second time today and they gave me a 165W and I did much better.

Image not available

500x1600

s-l1600.jpg

🗑️ Anonymous No. 182658

>>182312
>>182655
How is this btw? Jones Mountain twin 2023, 163 in the shrinkwrap for $419:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/276265839305?hash=item4052ba2ac9:g:3ooAAOSwZH9lly0u&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8Mq9bLMkE6h1ykcZaXLYb%2BefNd7H5a2yq6QO28A%2FSAvz0%2BRJemgPr0bHC0unJ7lYtUOf9He3k5qAKEnthso7KvsyYogDAe0MvjaLUiUDZppAf%2F5EeEXCRfRAPIPN%2BcxDdmqrjgVSpbBN2uq0dOW9zQqexrhS6Wtg9agsB2ECpS%2BFxYdhGyjvGUn9K7a%2Bq%2BPRmcfLoXIsxQY16JsA%2B6RVeEsCrnzBH%2Fb%2Fpln25c85ID%2FslABNc%2BSlg8xcfC5isZ3cfMxvm0YZSh2b89a5wSivQB%2FQjOaVc50cSfkcW4aC0IqSzykLsBIg6Myy0%2BZ4RXDAbw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5qRzLSgYw

It's not a wide but the waist width is 26cm so maybe it would be okay?

Anonymous No. 182741

>>182655
Whenever the season ends and shops put snow stuff on clearance, usually around spring time. If you check the smaller shops you may be able to get a nice deal on a board and bindings.

Anonymous No. 182753

>>182655
generally post season and throughout the summer you can find a lot of good gear on clearance. i had to get a whole new setup last year and managed to get board/boots/bindings for under 500 just by deal shopping. you can usually find 2-3 year old models for very cheap, being tall will help you a lot too because the big boy boards are usually the ones shops have the most trouble selling.

Anonymous No. 182773

>>182741
>>182753
Thanks for your help. Kind of in a pickle because if I wait I'll save more, but then I also won't get as much practice this season, or I have to waste money renting. A shop around here has a new Ride Agenda in 161W for $340 so I might consider that

Anonymous No. 182782

>>182773
yeah snow sports are a money crunch all around sadly. one thing you can do is just accumlate gear piece by piece based on whatever your paycheck that month allows. like you could get a used beater board and just keep upgrading stuff across the season and still progress pretty comfortably.
i feel bad because i've got a 160.5 burton collecting dust but i don't think it'd be wide enough for you

Anonymous No. 182792

>>182782
the epic/ikon pass is the real judaism, you can get all your gear for less than the price of one season pass

Image not available

605x695

12051-501-1_mae-r....jpg

Anonymous No. 182810

>got some AT boots on a whim 'cause they were half off in my size
>don't even have an AT setup
>holy shit AT skis+tech bindings+poles+avalanch course+beacon+shovel+probe is gonna cost more than all of my gear and pass put together
Is this shit actually worth it or just a richfag boomer moneysink?

Anonymous No. 182859

>>182810
if you actually like uphilling it is. if you ride at a mountain with vail tier lines hiking will let you get to the upper chairs in the same amount of time you'd be waiting at the base. you can even get a couple hours of skiing in before the mountain even opens if you want it enough, same with night skiing. it opens up a lot of terrain and a lot of access you can't get by riding a lift. most of the powder days i got last season were after the mountains closed.
imo spend a while hiking the resort before you even worry about backcountry gear, this season is gonna be fucked for avalanches because the base is so shit everywhere. you can get a lot of this shit used thoughbeit but i wouldn't skimp on a beacon

Anonymous No. 182924

>>182424
kino.

Anonymous No. 182942

>>181175
Any gloves thin enough to type on a phone will not be warm enough

Image not available

1290x726

Ski-Index-Header-01.jpg

Anonymous No. 183005

I love the idea of skiing/boarding but I'm absolutely terrified of getting a concussion or traumatic brain injury
Could I still have fun skiing on really easy slopes?

Anonymous No. 183011

>>182587
kek

Anonymous No. 183013

>>181756
I asked a few instructors on different occasions. They told me it’s not that important, that it’s more of a mnemonic device than anything. Like plant your pole to get in the rhythm of making good turns. Maybe some mogulers or racists get more use out of them than recreational skiers.

Anonymous No. 183014

>>183005
It’s the really easy slopes where you get fucked up because that’s where all the retards ski. You’re more likely to get run over. If you ski in control you can get down quite a lot you might encounter unless you’re looking for trouble. not that it’d be pretty or fun, but you could descend safely. I mean as long as you have decent fundamentals.

Anonymous No. 183043

>>183005
Ive smacked my head super hard at least once every weekend for the past 6 weeks. Still no concussion. The helmets are good

Anonymous No. 183047

>>183005
funny how people are afraid of head injuries, when you basically never hit your head skiing/snowboarding. You should be worried about your wrists for snowboarding and knees for skiing.

Anonymous No. 183049

>>183047
I've had more than a few falls on icy terrain where wearing a helmet has saved my ass

Anonymous No. 183070

is there anywhere in Europe to ski in March, or is that too late?

Anonymous No. 183119

>>183047
I’ve literally hit my head hard enough to daze me every weekend Ive gone snowboarding this year. My helmet has paid so much for itself its stupid

Image not available

3000x4000

20240119_100145.jpg

Anonymous No. 183307

hello anons first time skiier here
just been on a 6 day trip to la Rosière in the alps and there's just no spark for me, am i broken or does resort skiing just suck? expected it to get better but just find it really dull compared to MTB

Anonymous No. 183340

>>183307
You might just not like it. Are you standing in a lot of really long lift lines? Because that really kills the vibe. Also have you tried going off piste or glade? They probably dont have trees actually nvm

Anonymous No. 183356

>>126813
>https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/helmet/mission-mens-snow-helmet/MISSION-HELMET.html
yes, you need MIPS
don't buy the parkfags bullshit, if you're in the trees or are doing (real) high speed carving you'll crack your skull open if you fuck up

Anonymous No. 183357

>>161333
Me too, someone hit a thick pine tree at full tilt in a glade, should have been unconscious but they were fine and the helmet was cracked in half instead!

Anonymous No. 183358

>>166413
>If you snowboard long enough you will meet a brown person
real and true

Anonymous No. 183359

>>183307
You need to get gud and then you'll be able to ski the whole mtn and it'll be literally the best thing ever

Anonymous No. 183383

>>183358
if you ski you will met 20 white guys who think they're from compton

Anonymous No. 183389

I want to get a ski set that will get fast on piste and do well off piste, zig zaging between trees and in fresh snow. I'm beefy (90kg dressed). Would like to use it uphill too. Is this any good? Id like to get the best available. Not sure if i should aim for longer/larger ski.

https://www.dynafit.com/dna-pro-64-touring-ski-unisex-08-0000049704

Also boots, can you really go fast downhill with these?

https://www.dynafit.com/dna-ski-touring-boot-unisex-08-0000061912

Thanks.

Anonymous No. 183390

>>183389
Or is something like this more suited?
Im afraid the dna race skis would sink in fresh snow.

https://www.dynafit.com/radical-88-limited-edition-touring-ski-men-08-0000049159

Anonymous No. 183408

>>183389
>https://www.dynafit.com/dna-ski-touring-boot-unisex-08-0000061912
A (true) dedicated race boot is going to be tighter and less comfortable unless you go to the shop and get it thermally fitted. IMHO its not really worth spending that much for boots, but i get the appeal of the new tech in these. The main advantage of race boots is that they're stiffer which makes fine control easier. Also consider that you're probably going to get colder faster in these. Your call though, this sort of boot is new and I haven't seen anyone wearing this type yet.

I wouldn't take such a narrow ski off a groomed or at least hardpack area.

>>183390
These are better touring skis but if you're so serious about fast carving that you want racing boots you probably won't be well served with such a lightweight line of skis... no matter what BS they say, if it's lightweight, especially THAT lightweight, it's gonna chatter and try to kill you if you hit real speeds.

If I were you I'd save some money on the boots and pick up a pair of used heavy skis (brahma 88 is what I like, or if you're feeling like a baller a pair of (used?) FIS spec racing skis, they never really break anyway and if they have a good base and were used for racing there's probably thousands of dollars of rocket spray and fancy wax residue worked into the base) and then a pair of new lightweight skis (I like the Elan ripstick blacks personally, or you could go for those touring skis you seem to like)
That way you have skis which are light, flexible, and have conservative edge cuts optimized for powder/off piste/touring, and another pair of skis which are heavy, stiff, durable, and have aggressive edge cuts for very high speed hardpack/groomed/ice carving.
Your call though, might be wise to find some way to demo these skis and decide for yourself.

Anonymous No. 183483

>>166413
>>183358
I've seen more basketball Americans on skis at my usual haunts than snowboarding as of lately but for the most part they're polite and have the proper etiquette. The Chinese tourists on the other hand are a completely different story.

Image not available

1104x618

yuck.jpg

Anonymous No. 183549

is there anything sadder than a scottish ski resort?

Image not available

327x242

tube.png

Anonymous No. 183639

>>183549
A single hikeable tube is all you need

Anonymous No. 183642

>>183358
I have noooticed that the only shitskins I see at squaw valley are snowboarders. I'm glad I switched to skiing.

Anonymous No. 183716

>>183005
You're on an extreme sports board. The risk will always be there, and if that bothers you, well, maybe consider picking up a safer hobby like golf. That being said, take your time working on fundamentals, invest extra in safety gear, always use it, and don't try to be an x-games stuntman.

>>183047
Try catching a heel side edge going backwards down the slope. That's asking for a concussion if it happens while you're not wearing a helmet.

Anonymous No. 183743

I hadn't skiied in two decades or so, but I just took my 7 year old son because he wanted to learn. I went up with him on the lifts and did fine on the kids' hills, but had a pretty hard time slowing down on the easiest non-baby hill. I did the triangle shape thing and tried to turn from side to side, but I couldn't slow down. Any tips?

Sorry for the noob question, this sport terrifies me to be honest but my kid loves it so I need to do it.

Anonymous No. 183745

>>183743
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e7-mNDgIXw
work on hockey stops and turning into the hill to slow down. snowplowing wont really help you too much on even a mid-steep blue. it's kind of a shitty technique that's more of a beginner trap than anything else

Anonymous No. 183747

>>183745
Thanks bro, makes total sense

Anonymous No. 183865

Does anyone know the best place for snowboard boot fitting near Tahoe?

Anonymous No. 183869

>>183005
never wear a helmet then. putting something over your skull activates some retard shortcut wiring in your brain and turns off half of your spacial reasoning and forethought. just don't blast through trees or ski close to jerries (blast by them) and you'll be fine.

Anonymous No. 183870

>>183743
take him rollerblading and have him do increasingly aggressive turns. it will teach him how to lean, along with getting used to moving or sliding with one foot raised, which is how you initiate turns on skis too

Anonymous No. 183897

>>183642
>going to squaw valley
you deserve your cultural enrichment

Anonymous No. 183907

>>183483
The only time I saw "Skiers of Color" they stole my Leki carbon 14 click strap poles (which I had marked and promptly retrieved after seeing they fell off the tow rope and going to see if they needed help)

Anonymous No. 183939

>>183865
Your nearest ski shop, Tahoe prices will hose you

Anonymous No. 183941

>>183939
Are salt lake ski shops known to fleece destination skiiers? I was thinking about demoing some K2 Poachers for a few days at Powder later this winter

Anonymous No. 183965

>>183865
>>183939
Ski boot fitting is very important and you should go to local tahoe shops that guarantee fit (like olympic valley bootworks). Tahoe shops don't hose you, they just sell stuff at MSRP and let you demo all the gear for free until find the right skis/boot.
Snowboard boots are much easier to fit, you can just go to sports basement when there's a good sale at the end of season

Anonymous No. 183966

>>183897
is mammoth any better? I don't want to spend gorillions skiing in utah/colorado.

Anonymous No. 184035

>>126786
got tix for a few days at boyne here in a couple weeks. Midwest bros…. We’re so back

Anonymous No. 184046

Which is a less busy time to go skiing? Friday afternoon or first thing Saturday morning?

Anonymous No. 184054

>>184046
Are you joking? Afternoons are generally less busy than mornings, and weekends are far busier than weekdays (even Fridays). Saturday morning is going to be at least 4x as busy as Friday afternoon.

Image not available

720x724

1679923817663958.jpg

Anonymous No. 184210

Who do you ski/board with? I have no one to go with

Image not available

293x876

1657511084814.jpg

Anonymous No. 184213

>>182587

Anonymous No. 184219

>>184210
i ski at night by myself because im agoraphobic and autistic. not having to worry about parking is nice thoughever

Anonymous No. 184220

>>184210
I have a friend that goes with me that doesn't do either but likes to hang out at the lodge because of the vibe. I'm trying to convince her to rent some gear for a day or to and take a lesson but she doesn't want to.

Anonymous No. 184287

Thoughts on Mt. Rose?

Image not available

1080x1010

17cf29d9174b44f21....jpg

Anonymous No. 184331

>>183639
Kek this is all I did when I went to Wilmot. Fuck all else to do when the run ends 4 1/2 turns into it. So much so that I got interrogated by ski patrol
>hey buddy do you have a pass because you keep hiking up
>yes, this is all I want to do so it's what I'm doing
>uh OK as long as you have a pass!!
Just let me fall on my ass in peace boomer.

Anonymous No. 184337

>>184331
>>183639
>powder is temporary, the tube is eternal

🗑️ Anonymous No. 184362

>>183966
Eastern sierras without any easy ways to get to it. Youll be gettin some mexicans though

Image not available

635x630

henrik.png

Anonymous No. 184550

>styles upon you

Anonymous No. 184581

I hit 5 rocks today, 1 loony toons wiley coyote style, and blasted a fat hole in my board. P good day all in all

Image not available

349x199

giphy (3).gif

Anonymous No. 184703

>>183939
>Your nearest ski shop
i look forward to selling you a new boot when you show up complaining how bad your feet hurt from the boots you bought at your local ski shop in austin tx that are two sizes too big
i'm sure you got a great deal on them though

Anonymous No. 184730

>go skiing
>new to it, so fall down a few times
>two days later
>neck at the front is kind of tense and painful at some moves
Am I going to become a cripple?

Anonymous No. 184766

>>126786
Need help! I have an important business opportunity in Aspen this march and there will be skiing involved. I am not worried about the skiing, since I grew up skiing in Switzlerland/France and all around the US. In all likelihood, I'll place towards the top of the group in terms of expertise.

My stupid question is about what ski clothing to wear. I need something that isn't flashy and gauche, but that communicates skiing competency and discerning taste. Basically, I need the old-money look. Is Arc'teryx the go-to for this purpose? I've always worn cheap 2nd-hand gear, but unfortunately that's not going to cut it in this scenario.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anonymous No. 184793

>>184766
literally wear any european brand. boomers and especially libtard aspen boomers fetishize yurop the way weebs do japan. they'll probably hire you just for being swiss

Image not available

720x430

7-21-10-24-10-58-....jpg

Anonymous No. 184794

>>184210
Last week I went by myself.

>tfw no boarding buddies.
Aren't there any ways to meet people to go with :(

Anonymous No. 184795

>>184794
i'd ride with anons but noone lives out here.
the closest i came to actually having riding buddies was when i worked on the mountain

Anonymous No. 184848

>>184766
probably something like Norønna or Fjallraven if you want to be an elitist fag.

Anonymous No. 184941

>>184794
I talked to a young couple when we were getting lifted, talked about skiing stuff, skied together and exchanged info and set up a day to ski together as well. We will see what will come out of it.
I'm amazed it's actually possible. If I can do it, then so can you.

Image not available

1080x1022

GoggleKot.jpg

Anonymous No. 185034

>>184941
>waiting in line on a crowded day
>get put on a chair with a group of girls
>they start trying to make a conversation with me
>I stare at the run below the whole time
>respond to all their prompts with a simple yes/no
>they continue to attempt talking to me until the end but I say nothing like the autistic retard I am
>We reach the top, get off and I never see them again
I've been skiing alone since I was a junior in high school and this scenario has played out way more times than I will admit. Supposed to be a fat powder day and I'm skipping my uni classes to go up tomorrow. I just know this is gonna happen again kek.
Good on you for finding some frens though.

Anonymous No. 185051

>>185034
FUCKING TALK TO THEM. ELABORATE MORE ON THE ANSWERS
COME ON
HELL, GET A BIT DRUNK IF YOU'RE NOT DRIVING

🗑️ Anonymous No. 185070

>Mt. Rose jacked up their season pass to $1275 dollars
what the fuck

Anonymous No. 185131

>>185034
quit doing that

Anonymous No. 185135

>>185034
everytime I try to time the singles line to end up with a group of girls, I miss them by a group or two and end up sitting with boomers

Anonymous No. 185151

What's the best way to git gud and practice while pissing the least amount of people off and not being a hazard on the slopes?

Anonymous No. 185156

>>185151
Don't stop in areas where uphill riders can't see you, ski in a mostly predictable way, don't cut in front of people. Being on less crowded runs also helps. Better skiers will simply go around you without even noticing. As for the vacation boomers, pissing them off is part of the fun.

Anonymous No. 185166

>>185151
ski predictably, it's ok to take wide turns as long as they're regular and predictable

Anonymous No. 185176

>>185151
if i really wanna work on progression i just go after hours and hike the jump/rail/pipe i wanna focus on. pipe is also good for carving in general imo and they tend to be pretty much the steepest thing that low on the mountain.
highlands is pretty cool because you have double blacks and the race track basically right at the base so you can just do laps if you just wanna work on riding.

Anonymous No. 185240

>>185151
sending it

Image not available

1400x990

1_DOJDJCkhRvQhfpg....jpg

Anonymous No. 185285

>>184795
Where are you from anon? I'm an ice coast fag. My closest resort is two hours away.

>>185034
I use to have this problem fren. You just have to learn how to be intimate with people as gay as it sounds. That's when everything "clicked" for me and I became much more personable. I noticed I had a really bad habit of constantly treating people like strangers and keeping them at a distance. Go out of your way to get to know people, and to let them learn about you. Then everything falls into place.

Anonymous No. 185306

>>185034
Drink a lil. Makes the shred more fun too

Anonymous No. 185424

Is it insane to try to go to Palisades on a weekend? Do you have to get there extremely early? Is parking a nightmare?

Anonymous No. 185432

>>185285
>Where are you from anon?
aspen area
>I noticed I had a really bad habit of constantly treating people like strangers and keeping them at a distance.
idk how to not do that

Anonymous No. 186054

>>185432
>idk how to not do that
share incrementally more personal information with one another.

Anonymous No. 186058

>>185424
Only on a powder weekend from the truckee direction, you would probably have to leave truckee by 6:30am to be safe, idk I've never tried it. It's fairly straightforward coming from tahoe city. You can also just roll in at 11am-noon and the traffic will be gone and people will be starting to leave. Also it's called squaw you faggot

Anonymous No. 186367

Any tips for engaging your toe edge correctly? I tried to teach myself snowboarding this week and figured out skating and heel-edge sideslipping no problem, but toe-edge sideslipping seemed much harder. Am I supposed to be like flexing my glutes and shoving my hips as far forward as I can? Standing up on my tippy toes? (probably not)

Anonymous No. 186368

>>186367
I also felt like heel edge was easier because you make contact with your stiff highbacks and get immediate response, whereas my boots are soft as I tried to use the toe-edge

Anonymous No. 186370

>>186367
malcom moore has good videos for this

Anonymous No. 186434

Is it worth paying for a lesson if I'm a beginner/intermediate snowboarder just so I can get some real time feedback and pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Anonymous No. 186476

>>186434
the best thing you get out of a lesson imo is a group of people to ride with who are around your level. unless you're turbo beginner or doing freestyle (or trying to get into backcountry riding i guess) an instructor wont tell you too much you dont already know or couldn't just learn from youtube. if form is an issue just go to the mountain after hours, pick a run and keep hiking it to work on your carves or just run drills on the bunny slope

Anonymous No. 186587

exactly when, and what caused, the massive influx of non whites to snow sports?

Anonymous No. 186918

what's the most racist all mountain ski or alternatively the most all mountain race ski?
i only care about carving on piste but need something that's forgiving both due to being only intermediate skier as well as the slopes not always being in ideal condition.

Anonymous No. 187133

>>186918
nordica 'gas the boarders' enforcer 94

Anonymous No. 187307

Am I not supposed to put goggles on in the car or immediately after exiting the car? I did this today and my goggles fogged within a few minutes. Am I supposed to let them cool down to the outside temperature for a bit, before putting them on? Sorry for dumb noob question

Anonymous No. 187314

>>187307
jesus christ, put them on when you get on the lift or something
>my goggles fogged within a few minutes
it's over, you need new goggles with an intact antifog coating, and then you need to make sure to never touch/wipe the inside of the lens

Anonymous No. 187317

>>187314
Theyre brand new goggles though. Would getting foggy really fucked them up so quickly?

Anonymous No. 187318

>>187314
>>187317
If it matters, I didn't touch the inside of the lens ever. Now that they're dry, I can see clearly out of them (didn't seem like the coating smeared or whatever)

Anonymous No. 187322

>>187318
then they're fine, you probably just used them retardedly. When you get some movement going the vents clear out the fog. Ideally you would use the same brand helmet and goggle for better airflow