Image not available

1080x720

ip-man.jpg

๐Ÿงต Should I learn Kung Fu?

Anonymous No. 128763

Any Kung Fu practitioners here? I have the opportunity to learn Northern Praying Mantis and Northern Shaolin. Should I do it? For background, I am 20, overweight, have no previous martial arts experience, no sports background, and am generally unathletic. It looks cool but I just wonder if it's worth my time to learn it. Thoughts?

Anonymous No. 128767

Should? Worth? What the fuck kind of questions are those? Do you want to do it? What are your goals or aspirations?

Anonymous No. 128769

Baguazhang, Northern Shaolin, shuaijiao and soon to be sandafag here. If you think its fun do it. The only things worth your time are helpful things you enjoy. Even if you're a fatty and you're doing a total larp you're still doing yourself a favor. Just don't expect to be a badass. I'm doing all this shit after already getting shodan in judo and boxing a bit.

tldr: try it out and stick with it if you like it

Anonymous No. 128772

>>128767
I don't know

Anonymous No. 128773

>>128772
"It seems like fun" is as valid a reason as it can get, so if you think it seems fun, just give it a go. There's no "worth" involved, try it and see if you enjoy it or not.

Anonymous No. 128776

>>128763
The only Chinese martial arts you should learn is Sanshou or Shuia Jiao. Everything else is a waste of time.

Anonymous No. 128785

>>128776
Why?

Anonymous No. 128786

>>128785
With those arts you'll actually learn to fight someone. If that's not your goal then do whatever you want.

Anonymous No. 128793

>>128763
If you think it's fun then just do it ffs. That's like the number 1 reason to do anything in life. You might also lose some weight.

Also, don't listen to this fag >>128776 He doesn't evenknow that shuai jiao means "wrestling" in the most generic sense of the term. Almost every gongfu style has a few shuai jiao moves. Just like chin na means joint locking, we don't call chin na a martial art though. He's getting confused with jacket wrestling, which usually just gets called shuai jiao. It's like how we call; two drunk idiots stumbling over each other, olympic freestyle and WWE all the same term wrestling.

Anonymous No. 130770

>>128769
this, do what you love, anon. Even if it's not "practical" the exercesise and flexibility is worth doing. You will be better than the average person in the whole planet.

I personally want to do Systema, those joint mobility workouts and "lower gymnastics" looks sick as fuck! I don't even care about self defense or martial arts.

Anonymous No. 130799

>>128763
Karate, preferably an okinawan school. They will condition you, teach you to grapple, fight in all distances, throw and fight in the ground too. Most complete art.

Anonymous No. 130800

>>128763
What do you want? If you want to fight untrained, unaggressive people your size or smaller any shit will work. If you want to fight athletic, aggressive people your size or bigger, it's a terrible idea.

Do you want to have fun, be active, make friends, or participate in the preservation of a historical tradition akin to national dance styles? Kung-fu can do any of those things.

I will say, having participated in it, is that it does get pretty cliquey when it comes to promotions if you care about that - and because there's no real competition, you have some really petty slapfights and big egos. Even in boxing, which has a lot of niggers with a chip on their shoulder, combat sports tend to be more chill.

Anonymous No. 131034

I mean if you're interested, just try it out. It depends on what you want and what you're willing to endure. It should by all means be difficult or else they just want your money.

Image not available

1215x779

KungFaux.jpg

Anonymous No. 131625

>>128763
Kung Fu is a waste of time. Kung Faux is much better. I learned the 'box cutta' and it saved me several times.